PDA

View Full Version : one month vacation anywhere?

buff_jeff
04-02-2010, 12:33
I have 5k saved up and at least a one month block of time. I've tossed between Israel/Jordan/Egypt and Mongolia, but I'd be interested in seeing what other places you guys would recommend, seeing as you're the adventurous types.

I know this is kinda off-topic, but I think it'd be cool to hear about what places you've been to that are appealing to people who like outdoor adventure.

Shutterbug
04-02-2010, 12:55
I have 5k saved up and at least a one month block of time. I've tossed between Israel/Jordan/Egypt and Mongolia, but I'd be interested in seeing what other places you guys would recommend, seeing as you're the adventurous types.

I know this is kinda off-topic, but I think it'd be cool to hear about what places you've been to that are appealing to people who like outdoor adventure.

Without knowing your interest other than hiking, it is hard to pin down, but here would be my list:

1. Europe -- If you have not been to Europe, buy a Eurail Pass and visit Europe. My wife and I love to meet people on the train and ask, "If you were an American tourist, where would you go?" Be sure to spend a few days in the Swiss Alps.

2. Israel/Jordon -- If you are religious at all, you will really enjoy visiting the "Holy Land." So much of our heritage comes from there. Be sure to hike up the Masada Snake Path and consider hiking the Jericho Road (with a guide).

3. China -- We spent 14 days in China. It was a wonderful trip.

4. Africa -- Take a photo safari. Botswana is a great place to see lots of wild animals. Be careful where you hike.

5. Eastern Europe -- Check out Albania. If you prefer to go somewhere that there aren't a lot of Americans, visit Albania. There are some good hikes there and prices are quite cheap.

6. New Zealand -- I have never met anyone who visited the South Island who didn't want to go back. In a month, you can see the whole Island. I understand that getting permits for the Milford Track is getting harder than it once was, but you can do it. The Milford Track is the New Zealand equivilant of the AT.

7. Australia -- Everyone should visit the Great Barrier Reef at least once.

8. Alaska -- If you have not spent time in Alaska, put it on your list. There is a lot to do around Denali National Park. The most exciting white water rafting I have done was just outside of the Denali Park.

9. Russia -- If you want to take a trip that none of your friends have done, try Russia. I wouldn't want to live there, but a three week visit is fun.

If you have questions about any of these suggestions, let me know.

Ladytrekker
04-02-2010, 13:15

I am throwing out thoughts from my son who is also 22.

Two years in a row he has gone to Europe and backpacked around. The first year he went and backpacked all over Spain and then this past year he took his girlfriend and went to Spain, France and Italy. He went to Panama, Central America for Christmas and really enjoyed that (his girlfriend is from there) said he would love to spend more time there.

He stays in hostels mostly he books ahead because they fill up during summer and eats mostly out of grocery stores. But he has really enjoyed doing this, has never felt threatend and really saw alot because he walked mostly and would just turn down streets that looked interesting, saw more than your basic tourist.

He was extremely surprised at how much he liked Paris he thought that would be a place for his girlfriend but he said you can walk out of your hostel and can turn in any direction and have somewhere to go, he said it was one of his favorites which totally surprised him.

He also took some flights from Barcelona to Paris, Paris to Milan, Rome to Madrid and the flights were about $40.00 per person per flight he said they are cheaper than the eurail system and gets you there quicker great if you are short on time.

hellomolly
04-02-2010, 13:27
Well if it were me I'd probably take that money and go on a dirtbag rock climbing trip across the country... but I'm not most people, lol... :banana

I second whoever suggested Africa, and also second Alaska. Both would be absolutely amazing, I think. I have always wanted to go to Denali...

Though on $5k you could probably do both!

Slo-go'en
04-02-2010, 13:32
5K doesn't sound like much for a trip abroad, air fare is likely to eat up a big chunk of that.

Closer to home, the Canadian rockies are really nice to wander around in for a month. Could easily spend a month at any of the national parks out west.
The mountians of Chile or Argentina could be interesting.
The highlands of Wales and Scotland
The Alps
Scandinavia

But New Zeland would top my list for a faraway place to go. Watching "Lord of the Rings" really makes you want to go there!

There are so many interesting places one could go to. The list is endless. Hard to pick one.

Rain Man
04-02-2010, 13:38

Contact the ATC and join one of their "service projects" working outdoors? That would be a worthwhile adventure. :)

Rain:sunMan

Snowleopard
04-02-2010, 13:39
Your choice should be somewhat based on weather at the time you travel.

Peru -- Cordillera Blanca. Try to fit in a short trip to the Amazon.
Russia and former Soviet Union -- Kyrgyzstan (mountains, trekking), I haven't been to Kamchatka but it looks amazing, Karelia looks interesting, Caucacus looks amazing but don't go until it's safe.
North -- Iceland, Greenland or Baffin Island.
For a tamer but very enjoyable trip, lots of places in Europe are fun.

redseal
04-02-2010, 13:46
Here is somewhere people do not think of often. If you like World War history then consider the landing beaches near Caen, France. What my wife and I did was take a flight to London (flights are usually cheap to there). Spent a few nights in London and then took the train down to Paris and spent a few nights there. Took the train to Caen and explored the beaches. Then took the train to Lyon, France just to check out a less touristy area of France. Spent a few nights there and then flew back home from the Paris airport (which I really dislike this airport). Our trip was 14 days and we stayed at hotels not hostels. The entire trip cost us just over $5k so for one person, a month would be possible.

10-K
04-02-2010, 15:22
My wife and I flew to Germany, rented a car and drove around Europe for 2 weeks. That was quite fun.

It's amazing how different relatively small countries are from one another. Each one can be a totally different experience.

Ramble~On
04-02-2010, 15:34
22 years old and $5,000 to toss towards a vacation....I'd beg my job/family to allow me to vanish for 5-6 months and thru hike....or keep saving until I was able to vanish.

buff_jeff
04-02-2010, 15:59
22 years old and $5,000 to toss towards a vacation....I'd beg my job/family to allow me to vanish for 5-6 months and thru hike....or keep saving until I was able to vanish.

Yeah, I lucked out. I'll be graduating college in a May with zero debt (thanks to the Army), but I also owe the Reserves 6 years, so no thru-hiking for me. Slots for my officer basic course are apparently backed up until April 2011, but I have to drill with my unit until then, which means I basically have a year off, but can only travel for a month at a time in between drills.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'll definitely be looking into a few options, or I might decide to take the responsible route and save the money, although who knows when I'll get this sort of time off again. :D

10-K
04-02-2010, 16:22
or I might decide to take the responsible route and save the money, although who knows when I'll get this sort of time off again. :D

I was going to suggest putting the $5k in a ROTH but held back. :)

The magic of compounding is impressive.

Mountain Wildman
04-02-2010, 16:30
My choice would be The Holy Land (Israel)
I will make it there some day, God willing!!

Mrs Baggins
04-02-2010, 17:00
5K doesn't sound like much for a trip abroad, air fare is likely to eat up a big chunk of that.

But New Zeland would top my list for a faraway place to go. Watching "Lord of the Rings" really makes you want to go there!

There are so many interesting places one could go to. The list is endless. Hard to pick one.

We went to NZ because of LOTR - and loved every wonderful second of it, trekking from Bay of Islands at the far north tip of the North Island all the way down to Queenstown on the South Island. 3 weeks of pure joy. Only had time to spend 4 days in Australia but made it up to the Blue Mountains and climbed the Sydney Harbor Bridge. Pretty cool. But airfare to most of the places you listed would eat up a good bit of that money.

Alaska is very crowded and VERY expensive between Memorial Day and Labor Day weekend. Prices, already very high, double and sometimes triple for everything from food to lodging. Going in the off season like we did meant no crowds but it also meant many places were closed up tight - campgrounds, gas stations, cafes, lodging.

Western Canada is gorgeous and there are plenty of Provincial Parks to camp in and hike around.

We've been to Ireland, England and Scotland and would go to any of them again - but especially Scotland. You can do the West Highland Way hike there. Or do the South Coast Way in England and then up to Scotland for the WHW. The exchange rate isn't terrible right now - about $1.50 for British Pound. It's certainly been far worse.

We're going to Turkey in October - airfare r/t from Baltimore just under $1000/person. Excellent exchange rate for the Turkish Lira and plenty to see and do. Eastern Europe will be our next trip next year.

Don't leave out our own National Parks if you haven't been. We visited 16 of them on our 2007 road trip to Alaska. Buy the annual pass for $80, drive a car cheap on gas, and car camp. Every big park has tremendous hiking opportunities. Pick a region and go. You may not always be able to camp in the parks since some are booked up to a year in advance, but you can camp nearby and spend the days hiking in them. That's what we did.

We've also done an adventure trek trip from Santiago Chile down and across into Argentina and then back into Chile and to Punta Arenas - the tip of South America. Getting there wasn't all that expensive and once you're there things are pretty cheap. Great campgrounds and national parks, Torres del Paine, Fitzroy Glacier and more.

Good luck! :D

WalkingStick75
04-02-2010, 17:11
Australia would be my choice, or possibly Europe but I have been to Europe and it was great. OK, two weeks Europe, two weeks Australia.

mudhead
04-03-2010, 06:49

Closer to home, the Canadian rockies are really nice to wander around in for a month. Could easily spend a month at any of the national parks out west.
The mountians of Chile or Argentina could be interesting.
The highlands of Wales and Scotland
The Alps
Scandinavia

I agree with this. BC. Add a week at a couple NPs and you are done. You will get enough travel in far away lands soon enough.

Marta
04-03-2010, 07:14
Where...depends on your special interests and skills. Have you studied any foreign languages? If so, go wherever that language is spoken.

Fascinating places where you can get an inexpensive hotel room in the capital while you figure out where else you want to go... Two of them I would choose off the top of my head are Istanbul and Bangkok.

JAK
04-03-2010, 08:17
When I was 22 I wanted to take the trans siberian express, or maybe walk the silk route. Never did. You have to find your own way to make the money stretch. Other people want it. Only you can make it stretch. You have to decide where to go with it also. Money usually lasts longer where there are fewer people. Newfoundland maybe. West coast.

fiddlehead
04-03-2010, 08:55
Your Mongolian choice is a great one.
Thailand should be high on your list also.
Too much crime in South America.
Too expensive in Europe
Russia is now also expensive.
Nepal is still a great place too.
Asia is the best IMO (English spoken everywhere, low crime, decent exchange rate, many Buddhists around and they don't discriminate at all, you'll be welcome most everywhere you go)
Whatever you do, have fun and don't think you have to fly everywhere. It limits your adventures big time.

Blue Jay
04-03-2010, 09:15

How about a hike on a section of the AT, otherwise I'd suggest the border of Iran.

Nazarene
09-08-2010, 22:01
I joined this conversation very late. I'm not sure if you've gone yet, but I hiked the southern half of the Israel national trail a few years ago and it was the coolest thing I've ever done. I made a video and my friend is working on a website dedicated to the INT.

www.israelnationaltrail.com (http://www.israelnationaltrail.com)

J5man
09-08-2010, 22:13
Disneyworld and Epcot.

Bucherm
09-08-2010, 22:50
Disneyworld and Epcot.

Everyone Does that.

I say go slumming around the Baltic and Scandanavia.

Storm
09-08-2010, 23:07
I'd be heading for Hawii so fast it would make your head swim. And yes, you can do it for $5000 without any trouble. I love the sun.

JAK
09-08-2010, 23:09

I know this is kinda off-topic, but I think it'd be cool to hear about what places you've been to that are appealing to people who like outdoor adventure.Never been any of those places, but my choice amongst those would be Mongolia for sure. Not sure why. Some place I would like to go someday, that and Siberia also, and other remote parts of Russia. Such a trip I would not want to plan ahead too much, and I would be prepared for delays and having to work stuff out, like buy a bike someplace if I had to to get from one place to another, and then sell it at the other end, for a loss no doubt. All part of the fun. The hard part today is finding place where people live simply and cheaply, but are not yet spoiled by tourism. Eco-tourism is perhaps the worst in some ways, because it extends the spoiling effects of tourism deeper, into the places you are trying to get away from. Of course you can`t complain too much, because you are one of the tourists adding to the problem.

Anyhow, find a place undiscovered. I am sure they still exist.
Maybe check with a travel agent, and find out where you can`t go, then go there.

4eyedbuzzard
09-09-2010, 00:17
I've never been there, so I can't really recommend it, but I've always wanted to do a Nile river cruise and visit all the Egyptian archaeological sites. Easter Island, Nazca, and Mayan sites would also be high on my list.

Odd Man Out
09-09-2010, 00:24
If it were me, I would go to Tanzania - Climb Kilimanjaro, see Ngorogoro Crater, the Serengeti, the beach in Zanzibar. However, you probably can't do all that for 5K$.

For 5K$ I could go visit my former High School exchange students in Moldova and Turkmenistan. How's that for obscure adventure travel!

4eyedbuzzard
09-09-2010, 00:48
If it were me, I would go to Tanzania - Climb Kilimanjaro, see Ngorogoro Crater, the Serengeti, the beach in Zanzibar. However, you probably can't do all that for 5K$.

For 5K$ I could go visit my former High School exchange students in Moldova and Turkmenistan. How's that for obscure adventure travel!

Moldova?! I spent some time in Gh. Gheorghiu Dej, Romania back in the early 80's at CPB Borzesti (big Petrochemical Facility there). I went to Slanic Moldova several times on weekends. Moldova has some beautiful areas, lots of hot springs and baths, the elite used to have vacation homes/dashas there. It was quite the experience back then - before the fall of the Warsaw Pact. I felt sorry for many of the workers there back then given the ruthless dictatorship of Ceausescu. I'd love to revisit the area some time - I made a lot of friends with the factory workers while I was there.

buff_jeff
09-09-2010, 07:36
Well, it turned out that I don't want to spend 5k on a trip, and I only have 17 days, so I decided to go to Israel next Monday, the 13th. I figure the country is small enough to get a feel for in that amount of time. I'm also going to check out parts of the West Bank. Even though I'm not a fan of organized tours, I booked two full day tours for Nablus, Jenin, Sebastia, and then Bethlehem and Ramallah. Should be interesting.

I also booked a really cool hostel for $18/night right in Old City, Jerusalem near Jaffa Gate and David's Tower. Pretty excited! :banana

peakbagger
09-09-2010, 07:42
I did a New Zealand trip in late February (which is their early fall season). The airfare will eat up $1,600 or less if you go earlier in the season (Quantas is advertising around $700 for November (their spring)).

The milford track is not the AT as its only 3 days but is spectacular. There are a whole lot of other tracks and trails on the south island and I suspect that you would have a great time on all of them. The Milford tends to attract a lot of folks as it has worldwide publicity. There are a lot of other activities other than hiking but a lot of them are a bit pricey as there is a high dollar tourist trade in the country. It is an incredible area. Once you get there it can be done on somewhat of a budget as there are a lot of transportation services set up to support trekking around the area and hostels or low cost accomodations in most of the towns. You really dont need to rent a car if you fly into Queenstown as its is right in the middle of all the fun stuff.

One thing to note is that NZ gets a lot of rain year round, I was lucky on my trip (timed to hit the dryest part of the year) but two weeks after I went they got hit by a Typhoon.

Ender
09-09-2010, 11:20
I would probably pick either New Zealand or Nepal.

middle to middle
09-09-2010, 12:34
Great ideas and great adventures here. I love them all. I have been a lot of places but my choice as a senior guy would be Paris.

halftime
09-09-2010, 12:35
I would probably pick either New Zealand or Nepal.

If plan to camp and hike, would pick NZ due to exchange rate and overall costs. Have toured North Island and hope to return (and also go to South Island) one day.

http://www.hikingnewzealand.com/adventure-tour-new-zealand.htm

J5man
09-10-2010, 13:20
Everyone Does that.

I say go slumming around the Baltic and Scandanavia.

I was being sarcastic. Agree, your idea is much more appealing. Besides, $5,000 would not last a month in Disney! :(