PDA

View Full Version : AT maps relegated to "space blanket" status?

sprocket
10-12-2004, 21:24
Not sure if anyones seen this yet, or possibly used it in conjunction w/a PDA, but if the claim of "the most up to date maps...even better than the latest ATC handbook" info is true, coupled with the elevation profiles and "3D" imaging capabilities, points of interest, watering spots, photos and every letter of text in the handbook(s) etc!!!?..... WOW! Looks promising. whatta ya'll think of this stuff? Is it just more weight and hassle, or would it not conserve space/time/money and increase the overall experience?: http://www.maptech.com/land/appalachiantrail/index.cfm

sprocket
10-12-2004, 23:43
Bueller?.........Bueller?......................... ......Frye?............Frye?;)

Pencil Pusher
10-13-2004, 02:17
I see the link is for software, maybe nobody has responded since it's not clear what you're looking for in an answer. The 'space blanket'???

orangebug
10-13-2004, 07:26
As I read it, it only works on computer and links to some GPS units. I didn't see anything about functioning on a PDA. Obviously, with the growing power and capabilities of PDA's, these will include GPS, cell phones, games, appointments, access to Mapquest maps, information on medications and dietary supplements, a camera and more.

Oops, that would be my Treo 600 today! :cool:

The capability of carrying all of the guides and maps in your pocket ain't here yet. Keep your maps and space blanket handy for a bit longer.

Kerosene
10-13-2004, 08:20
The Maptech AT product just isn't easy enough to use, nor does it provide the needed functionality for the thru- or section hiker. Stick to the hardcopy maps and guidebooks for now.

Youngblood
10-13-2004, 08:59
The Maptech AT product just isn't easy enough to use, nor does it provide the needed functionality for the thru- or section hiker. Stick to the hardcopy maps and guidebooks for now.

That is also my opinion.

There is another consideration as well. I was given the four-CD set before my 2000 thru-hike and I'm not sure how often, or even if they have updated the information... does anyone know?

With other AT references, I wouldn't expect that maps would be updated annually. Trail data might. Town data probably is.

sprocket
10-13-2004, 16:16
Pencil Pusher, I was just curious if anyone had any real world experience using this stuff. There is CD burning software that would allow you to copy the CD's on a hard drive....and then possibly transfer to a PDA. The "space blanket" reference was reffering to how they are used primarily as an emergency backup.....

And thank you all for the responses so far. I was really hoping that this was a practical option so as to negate all the hardcopy maps/guidebooks etc. Would also be great (having a PDA) to email journal updates and photos back home...

trippclark
10-13-2004, 17:04
Ditto Kerosene and Youngblood. I have the product and find it useful. I am glad I bought it. However, I use it as a supplement to the maps, not as a replacement. The trail descriptions alone are worth the $$, IMHO, as they include the full text of al of the guides (at least text as of the date of the CD set). I copy and paste this into Word to create "custom" guides for the section I plan to hike and can include or exclude the info that I want.

chief
10-13-2004, 22:21
Better check whether the maps have been updated since its introduction 6 years ago.

SGT Rock
10-14-2004, 07:25
I checked that map system out in Iraq when I got my PDA issued to me. Seemed like a good idea, but the PDA is a finicky thing at times, and not something I am ready to change out for my maps yet. It is a nice idea, but I think it is something that hasn't hit the realistic and reliable level quite yet.

But someday you could have your map, guide book, MP3, FM radio, digital camera, journal, etc all on one device that weighs about 4 ounces and can be updated with the latest info on trail conditions, new songs, upload photos to the house, etc at every town. Interesting concept.

Pencil Pusher
10-17-2004, 17:08
I think there are handheld GPS units on the market that have the ability to display topographic maps in color and have the memory to store such information from your software, though I'm guessing they don't have the PDA functionality. Even if PDAs had the GPS capability to fill this void, I imagine such use would be quite the power drain.

grrickar
10-17-2004, 22:50
The best thing me and my buddy did for our first section hike was to xerox the elevation profile of the trail onto a sheet of paper. He carried an altimeter. Based on the pace we were hiking, and referring to the elevation profile and the reading on his altimeter, we could generally tell where we were and how far we were from certain features.

We were in the Smokies, and the only time we lost the blazes was when we would cross roads (such as I-40 near Davenport Gap), and even then it only took a few minutes of searching. We carried the maps too in case of emergency, but we never once pulled them out. There were numerous USGS elevation markers on the trail for us to calibrate his altimeter (since it is based on atmospheric pressure, it would get off a bit from time to time). I do not own a GPS, but I would guess that they eat batteries like no ones business. So to carry a GPS would mean lugging extra batteries, even if you had the lightest GPS, you would have to factor in the extra weight of batteries.

I have also read that some GPS units do not work well under trees, which would defeat the purpose of having one on the trail. I assume a PDA would have many of the same issues with batteries, expecially if a GPS card was inserted into it.

Peaks
10-18-2004, 08:07
I think there are handheld GPS units on the market that have the ability to display topographic maps in color and have the memory to store such information from your software, though I'm guessing they don't have the PDA functionality. Even if PDAs had the GPS capability to fill this void, I imagine such use would be quite the power drain.

USGS Topo maps are usually not updated often enough to show relocations.

Youngblood
10-18-2004, 11:31
USGS Topo maps are usually not updated often enough to show relocations.

You could probably upload a new track showing the current trail on top of the topo map, if you have that information. But, tiny maps are not as usable as large maps, even with zoom. I think you need too large of a screen size to make replacing paper maps practical with what I believe is available.

Youngblood

Peaks
10-18-2004, 16:58
You could probably upload a new track showing the current trail on top of the topo map, if you have that information. But, tiny maps are not as usable as large maps, even with zoom. I think you need too large of a screen size to make replacing paper maps practical with what I believe is available.

Youngblood

My experience comes from Topo! software. After I bought it, I realized that it was made from USGS topo maps, and I can tell you that the AT does not go where it shows on this software.