PDA

View Full Version : The All Important Choosing of a Pack

noah22
04-02-2010, 20:03
Im doing a 30-35 day hike and right now the packs im considering are a Gregory Baltoro 70, and a Arc teryx Bora 80. The bora is about 85 dollars more but it seems like it could be worth it. I need a pack with easy acess pockets for the little things and something that i can contiue to use even years after this AT hike. if anyone has any input into these two bags or has any other bag suggestions feel free to tell

kayak karl
04-02-2010, 20:14
Im doing a 30-35 day hike and right now the packs im considering are a Gregory Baltoro 70, and a Arc teryx Bora 80. The bora is about 85 dollars more but it seems like it could be worth it. I need a pack with easy acess pockets for the little things and something that i can contiue to use even years after this AT hike. if anyone has any input into these two bags or has any other bag suggestions feel free to tell
take your gear to the outfitters and try the packs out. a pack is a personal thing. others will comment, but so what. if the pack don't suit you, don't buy it.

noah22
04-04-2010, 21:13
Im looking at packs that are around 70-80 litres, i plan on weekly resupply and will prob be carrying a good amount of thigns seeing as this is my first long AT hike. Is this perhaps too big?

10-K
04-04-2010, 21:30
That's a big pack alright.....

Check this pack out: http://ula-equipment.com/catalyst.asp

Mountain Wildman
04-04-2010, 21:43
That's a big pack alright.....

Check this pack out: http://ula-equipment.com/catalyst.asp

The Catalyst is a popular pack and at 4600ci it is 75.3 Liters.
Should be adequate for all but Expedition requirements.

Mags
04-04-2010, 22:03
Get all your gear first THEN get a a pack.

Once you know what gear you have, you'll have a better size of what type and size of pack that works best for you.

Sarcasm the elf
04-04-2010, 22:25
Spend some time trying out different packs while they are loaded and pick the one that fits the best, this is the only impartial advice I can give.

I am a big fan of my Baltoro 70 and wouldn't consider anything but a Gregory for myself. One of my regular hiking partners uses an Osprey Atmos 65 and the other uses an EMS brand pack. Each of us believes that our pack is the best.

jnl82381
04-04-2010, 22:58
I have a Catalyst and love it, but if you like lots of "easy acess pockets for the little things", it may not be for you.

My wife was jealous of my new pack when the Catalyst came in the mail at first but then after looking closer she said it didn't have enough pockets.

My opinion...I agree with most of the others in that you need to take some if not all of your gear to an outfitter and try out some different packs. Maybe do some research before hand. Know what size you want and how heavy/light you want it to be. Then look around for whats on the market that fits your requirements. After you get a few packs in mind, check out hte retailers.

Here's a great link to help you compair some packs:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/ssn/GearDB/pc/Backpacks/Internal%20Frame%20Backpacks/index.html?id=Rs5eJBue:214.13.149.10

Good Luck!

slowandlow
04-05-2010, 14:21
Buy the smallest pack that all your gear and food will fit into.