PDA

View Full Version : shoe inserts

maxpatch67
04-03-2010, 03:29
I've been using one pair of Ed Viesturs inserts in all my shoes for a couple years now. They are the blue ones. Yesterday I went to the doctor for some foot pain and he suggested that maybe the inserts needed replaced. At first it shocked me because I love them so much and then I pulled them out and realized he may be right. They seemed more flimzy than when I bought them. I've put about 1,000 miles on them, just running and hiking. Whatcha think? Time for new ones?

Wheeler
04-03-2010, 10:23
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Yep

Footslogger
04-03-2010, 12:43
Might just sound like semantics ...but there is a big difference between what is called an "Insert and what is called a "Foot Bed". Inserts are typically made of a compressible foam or cork and add what most of us think of as "comfort". Unfortunately, inserts loose their thickness quickly from the repetitive pressure from our feet.

Footbeds are something you place inside the shoe to hold the foot in place, support the arch and give your foot more stability as you plant your heel or push off. Ironically, footbeds are often NOT all that comfortable, especially at first, but in the long haul they can make all the difference in terms of your ability to keep on keepin on.

If you are looking for comfort ...consider trying some of the available foam style inserts, but plan on replacing them at regular intervals. If you are having problems with aching feet and toe banging you might want to consider a footbed, which is more akin to an orthotic.

'Slogger

WILLIAM HAYES
04-03-2010, 17:14
at a thousand time to replace -

Roland
04-04-2010, 05:52
I've been using one pair of Ed Viesturs inserts in all my shoes for a couple years now. They are the blue ones. Yesterday I went to the doctor for some foot pain and he suggested that maybe the inserts needed replaced. At first it shocked me because I love them so much and then I pulled them out and realized he may be right. They seemed more flimzy than when I bought them. I've put about 1,000 miles on them, just running and hiking. Whatcha think? Time for new ones?

Here's a summary of what you've told us:

You've put 1000 miles on your insoles
The insoles have become flimsy
Your foot pain has returned
Your doctor advised you to replace the insoles
Upon examining the insoles, you realize he's right

Next, you ask us if you should replace the insoles?!! :-?

garlic08
04-04-2010, 10:08
I can typically get 2,500 miles out of my Superfeet before they're completely worn down. But looking at the website for the Ed Viesturs insoles, it looks like they have some foam padding. I know the foam padding in my trail running shoes never lasts more than 500 miles, so it makes sense the foam part of your insoles is shot.

I wouldn't pay $45 per pair of insoles that don't last 1000 miles, but I don't need custom molded insoles either. It may be the most cost effective solution for you.

maxpatch67
04-07-2010, 17:05
Here's a summary of what you've told us:

You've put 1000 miles on your insoles
The insoles have become flimsy
Your foot pain has returned
Your doctor advised you to replace the insoles
Upon examining the insoles, you realize he's right

Next, you ask us if you should replace the insoles?!! :-?
Duh, no brainer, huh. There seems to be some for opinion here, though. I've found these to be better for me, though, than the Superfeet. But thats just me. A few years ago I would have thought it silly to even think of buying a special insert.