PDA

View Full Version : Corsica-GR 20

Scooby99
04-03-2010, 08:40
Anyone have experience with the GR20, thinking about a hike in Sept over 11 days or so, about 10 miles per day. The guide books seem to recommend 2 weeks. Wondering just how hard this hike is, worse than the Whites in NH or southern ME? I would think 10 miles/day is short enough to be enjoyable and provide enough time to explore a bit. Thanks for any info.

abcfab
04-14-2010, 20:20
I think the reason no one is replying is because the gr-20 is marked in blues, greens and yellows.Anything but white.
This is whiteblaze.
Talk to you soon

fiddlehead
04-14-2010, 21:42
My brother did this hike back in 2000.
I remember him telling me that at one point, the wind was so strong that they had to crawl.
I have a friend who lives in Corsica but he doesn't hike (not much of an outdoors person)
But he has often invited me over to hike as he knows i like to.

Good luck finding out more info.

yappy
04-15-2010, 11:51
hi fiddlehead the wind blew so freaking bad on the azt last year.... spent alot of time trying not to b blown off the ridge or into the cactus.. if it blows worse in Corsica ,, yikes !

fiddlehead
04-15-2010, 22:04
I've been in 50 mph winds and could barely walk.
We bailed out (to a hotel) one day for 100 mph winds in SoCal.
(found out later from the windmill service guys that that's how high they were)
100 mph winds will blow you away.

I believe Bulldog said the winds he encountered in Corsica would blow you away.
He had to crawl back to safety and bail.

Certainly not trying to scare anyone away from what is supposedly a beautiful hike.
Just saying that weather can turn bad anywhere. Best to know your limitations.

Deadeye
04-16-2010, 12:08
The pictures I've seen of the GR-20 make it look like 10 MPD is pushing it, but it looks fantastic. As long as there's places to bail, go for 11 days and just go as far as you can.

yappy
04-17-2010, 12:03
I think the wind is one of the big challenges on distance hiking. I would literally get an ear and headache on AZT. it just never EVER seemed to stop and tossed me about like so much garbage on the sidewalk. I finally stopped fighting it and just accepted... but whew,,, it also dehydrates.. seems to gobble up my water too !.. would do the trail again in a second haha. Fiddlehead could we be craazzyy ?..:)