PDA

View Full Version : Lakes of the Clouds!

rtfi
04-03-2010, 09:16
Just made my reservation for the Lakes of the Clouds Hut for Sunday August 1st. The day before and the day after were already booked; that is why they call it "Lakes of the Crowds" I guess. I am excited to be there and can almost feel the thrill of seeing it at the end of a long hiking day. The elevation profile leading up to it looks like a long, long climb after starting the day with a deep notch. Woo hoo!

Kerosene
04-03-2010, 09:46
If you're NOBO, then the climb up Webster Cliffs from Crawford Notch is steep and long, but once you finish that section, the hike to LOTC is quite pleasant, with most of the trail above treeline from Mizpah Hut to LOTC Hut. Hopefully you'll get some clear weather that day.

sasquatch2014
04-03-2010, 19:59
Just made my reservation for the Lakes of the Clouds Hut for Sunday August 1st. The day before and the day after were already booked; that is why they call it "Lakes of the Crowds" I guess. I am excited to be there and can almost feel the thrill of seeing it at the end of a long hiking day. The elevation profile leading up to it looks like a long, long climb after starting the day with a deep notch. Woo hoo!

It's this overly advanced book them all in type of crap that makes me really not want to use the huts when I roll through. Too bad they have all the good real estate.

Tin Man
04-03-2010, 21:06
If you are a big eater, bring food, Lakes saves their food allotment for 'needy' thru-hikers. :rolleyes:

Mango
04-03-2010, 21:22
My experience is that other huts might send a thru-hiker away in the dead of night, but LOTC will not turn away a thru. You might have to sleep upstairs while the ovne-nighters are singing and drinking wine, but the croo won't let you freeze to death in the cold and wind. They might not advertise it, but that was my observation. Just sayin'.

And The Dungeon is too generous a name - cold, dark, depressing grave might be more appropriate, but at least its out of the wind.

Tin Man
04-03-2010, 21:29
when i was sectioning thru late august, the dungeon was full and the dining room floor was full of thru-hikers in for the night

Lone Wolf
04-03-2010, 21:34
i always waited for lights out then just went in the dining hall and crashed under a dining table. don't get all the fuss

white_russian
04-03-2010, 21:41
It's this overly advanced book them all in type of crap that makes me really not want to use the huts when I roll through. Too bad they have all the good real estate.

The situation sucks, but it is not all bad. The Whites can be a harsh mistress and the huts are great protection, even if they are filled with townie richers. I would rather be washing dishes in a hut during a bad storm than trying to stay dry in the confines of my tent. Occasionally you get an awesome crew that really makes it an enjoyable experience though.

Lone Wolf
04-03-2010, 21:44
thru-hikers make a choice to hike thru the whites and NOT make any kind of reservations. they deserve no special treatment

10-K
04-03-2010, 21:46
thru-hikers make a choice to hike thru the whites and NOT make any kind of reservations. they deserve no special treatment

Is it hard to get a reservation if you call the day before you get there?

Lone Wolf
04-03-2010, 21:49

it's a crap shoot. there's always cancellations

Tin Man
04-03-2010, 21:53

weekends are booked far in advance.... weekdays are a little easier on short notice, but like lone wolf said just 'appear' after dark and sleep on the dining room floor... can't be any worse than a shelter floor

10-K
04-03-2010, 21:55
weekends are booked far in advance.... weekdays are a little easier on short notice, but like lone wolf said just 'appear' after dark and sleep on the dining room floor... can't be any worse than a shelter floor

Good info, thanks...

I'm planning on hitting up the huts as much as necessary though the Whites.. From what I've read, all the camping areas throught there involve walking down mountains - which means walking back up in the morning.

Tin Man
04-03-2010, 21:59
Good info, thanks...

I'm planning on hitting up the huts as much as necessary though the Whites.. From what I've read, all the camping areas throught there involve walking down mountains - which means walking back up in the morning.

i was doing 9 mile days through the whites, only place where the distances didn't work to find a campsite was the long stretch above the tree-line where lakes is located. nice sunsets on a good day.

Kerosene
04-03-2010, 22:33
You can ask to make a reservation at a prior Hut, who can contact your target hut by radio to confirm your reservation.

white_russian
04-03-2010, 22:34
Good info, thanks...

the only place that is like this is the presidentials, but there is a campsite next to Mizpah Hut and one at the base of Mt. Madison. It mostly a ridgewalk so it is mostly cake. Now if the weather turns bad and you need to get off the ridge it will suck, but straight through it is no problem

Tinker
04-04-2010, 07:54
You can ask to make a reservation at a prior Hut, who can contact your target hut by radio to confirm your reservation.

Good point.

I've seen it done while hiking in the whites.
When you get to Lonesome Lake you can have them check the other huts in the chain during their call to the headquarters (which is where they track such things) and they can set you up if there's any space remaining. I'm not sure how they would guarantee that you'd pay, but I'm assuming you'd have to pay in advance by credit card.
Fwiw: There are tent platforms near Mizpah hut, but they're nearly always full on weekends, at Lakes you may be able to squeeze into the "Dungeon" in the basement, and, if it's reopened, you can hike 1/3 of a mile down a not too steep or rocky trail and use the tent platforms below Madison Hut.
There are also the Randolph Mt. Clubs huts and shelters between Lakes and Madison huts, but they require some descent and ascent. A loop (blue blaze) would be best if you're not a purist (must pass every white blaze).

10-K
04-04-2010, 08:27
Good point.

Fwiw: There are tent platforms near Mizpah hut, but they're nearly always full on weekends, at Lakes you may be able to squeeze into the "Dungeon" in the basement, and, if it's reopened, you can hike 1/3 of a mile down a not too steep or rocky trail and use the tent platforms below Madison Hut.
There are also the Randolph Mt. Clubs huts and shelters between Lakes and Madison huts, but they require some descent and ascent. A loop (blue blaze) would be best if you're not a purist (must pass every white blaze).

What's the hammock situation like through there?

Tin Man
04-04-2010, 08:33

find two tall boulders, eight feet apart. and you are all set

Manwich
04-04-2010, 08:48
Me and 5 others are section hiking the whites this August. We tried booking a Saturday on, get this: February 2nd... and Lakes was booked. In fact, most saturdays throughout the summer were. Thankfully, those nice ladies on the other end of the phone were all-too-helpful in fixing us with a good date.

CrumbSnatcher
04-04-2010, 10:54
i always waited for lights out then just went in the dining hall and crashed under a dining table. don't get all the fusssounds like a great choice LW,(just like sitting around a smokies shelter,til it fills up then throw the tent up)i could be wrong but i don't see them kicking anyone out into the bad weather! i did a work for stay at mizpah hut once, and once i stayed at the tentsites at mizpah/nauman. i can do without the huts(nice for breaks) my last hike i stealthed camped at crawford notch and hiked out at 5 am and made it to pinkham at the end of the day,that was my favorite way thru that section!

Tin Man
04-04-2010, 12:51
sounds like a great choice LW,(just like sitting around a smokies shelter,til it fills up then throw the tent up)i could be wrong but i don't see them kicking anyone out into the bad weather! i did a work for stay at mizpah hut once, and once i stayed at the tentsites at mizpah/nauman. i can do without the huts(nice for breaks) my last hike i stealthed camped at crawford notch and hiked out at 5 am and made it to pinkham at the end of the day,that was my favorite way thru that section!

nauman tent site is a good place to set up the day over washington and down to pinkham, but crawford to pinkham... need younger legs/knees/ankles than mine... nice work

CrumbSnatcher
04-04-2010, 12:55
i was in a food mood,i was in gorham by 5 0r 6pm, don't know why i chose crappy mcdonalds but it was good at the time. someone suggested a night hike thru this section(mizpah to madison), when the stars are out,that would be fun! when i did my work for stay at mizpah they put me in the attic,then a few years later i heard the hut was haunted by a liitle girl that died nearby

Tinker
04-04-2010, 13:13
The trees by Mizpah are short and spindly. The platforms are wide enough that you'd need looooong ropes or straps, and, even under the minimal weight of a tarp strung tight at the ground stakes, the trees bowed enough to bring the tarp very low. There's no place right around Lakes. You would have to go quite a (steep) way off the ridgeline there to find suitable trees. By Madison Hut there aren't any trees. You would have to go down to the tent platforms ( Valley Way) which have better trees than those by Mizpah (which is the Nauman tentsite).
After the Presidentials you won't have any trouble finding hammock spots.