PDA

View Full Version : Bear Paw Tents

flemdawg1
04-03-2010, 12:00
http://www.bearpawtents.com/index.html

Anyone used them? The AT1 appears to be a decent copy of a TT Contrail. The only knock I can see so far is no phone # or snail-mail address, just an email link.

brooklynkayak
04-05-2010, 12:38
no phone # or snail-mail address, just an email link.

That and the fact that their web site is a mess, I'd avoid them, for now.

Correction:
I take that back, it appears to have been a temporary glitch.

They have a few products that some may find interesting.

Reid
04-05-2010, 13:04
They don't look sturdy to me for some reason.

FamilyGuy
04-05-2010, 13:47
They don't look sturdy to me for some reason.

Why is that?

wayoutthere
04-06-2010, 13:47
I contacted them first to buy some silnylon fabric. But I ended up ordering their 'Canopy Tent 2'. Good price for the tent. Received the tent in two days.

Well made, and the price made it a lot more attractive. I had a question, and called the number on the invoice. Very nice guy and he answered my question. He even said he will put some more guy lines in the mail for free.

Also, he said for me to look out for the 2 man net tent that matches with the Canopy 2. It should be out in a few days.

Overall, very good experience. I would definitely buy from them again.

wayoutthere
04-06-2010, 13:54
Forgot, if anyone wants their phone number or address, let me know. The contact is in Michigan.

FamilyGuy
04-06-2010, 16:10
I contacted them first to buy some silnylon fabric. But I ended up ordering their 'Canopy Tent 2'. Good price for the tent. Received the tent in two days.

Well made, and the price made it a lot more attractive. I had a question, and called the number on the invoice. Very nice guy and he answered my question. He even said he will put some more guy lines in the mail for free.

Also, he said for me to look out for the 2 man net tent that matches with the Canopy 2. It should be out in a few days.

Would LOVE to see some pics!

srestrepo
04-06-2010, 16:16
how does this compare to say SMD or even Henry's tents?

Bags4266
04-06-2010, 16:21
I liked their web site and the prices seemed fair to good. free shipping over $50. Would like to see pic's and read a review!

wayoutthere
04-06-2010, 17:39
The quality is very similar to the Tarp Tents that I have seen. The main top seam is triple stitched and they seam sealed it free when I requested. Tarp Tent and 6 Moon Designs wanted about $30 for the sealing. I have never used a 6 Moon Designs tent, but what I know is that their quality is very good. Therefore, I can't compare the BPT to the 6 Moon tent.

The Canopy Tent 2 was well made and doesn't seem like they cut any corners. Good webbing and the edges turned under and/or use of additional tape. I filled a section of the tent up with water, suspended it so that it held the water overnight. All of the water was still there without any leakage to the pail below. So I believe that they are using high quality silnylon.

The guy I talked seemed to be very helpful and informative. When I use it in a few weeks, I will post some pictures.

wayoutthere
04-13-2010, 15:20
I ordered a Net Tent 2 to go with my Canopy Tent 2 from Bear Paw Tents. They gave me a discount of $20 since I brought the Net 2 to go with the canopy 2. I set it up in my backyard to test it out. Nicely made. The net tent attaches webbing inside the canopy. Hangs well. I would suggest that you attach the net tent prior to putting up the canopy. A lot easier to adjust after the net is already attached to the canopy and upright.

Plenty of room inside for two people and some gear. I set the tent to about 48" headroom, plenty to sit up. The canopy covers the net enough to handle most rains. But in a down right down pour and a lot of wind you might want to lower the height to give better coverage. The way I had it set up there was about 12" of coverage along the sides.

I have attached some pictures. A pretty good deal for the money. I think it is durable enough to last. Seams were double sewn and all webbing attached properly.

http://www.bearpawtents.com/

johnnyblisters
04-13-2010, 22:08
Thanks for the pics, I just bought the net tent off ebay. Hows small does it pack?

wayoutthere
04-13-2010, 22:32
The net tent rolls up to about 4' x 12". Pretty lightweight too. I didn't weigh it, but it can't be more than a pound.

Did you get the canopy tent too or just the net tent?

johnnyblisters
04-14-2010, 13:22
I just got the net tent. I plan on hanging it under my ray way tarp (just ordered the kit).

brooklynkayak
04-14-2010, 20:58
The more I look and compare, the more they seem like good stuff at good prices.
They've got the Ray-Way type with matching net tent for a decent price. Great for people that can't make their own. The gear all looks like they were well researched and designed.

If I didn't already have too many shelters, I'd consider their gear.

flemdawg1
04-15-2010, 12:21
The more I look and compare, the more they seem like good stuff at good prices.
They've got the Ray-Way type with matching net tent for a decent price. Great for people that can't make their own. The gear all looks like they were well researched and designed.

If I didn't already have too many shelters, I'd consider their gear.

Thats what I was thinking BK. A 1-person UL tent for what many people sell a used Contrail for, seems like a good deal.

One thing I did notice, is that the floors look flat, not a bathtub floor.

johnnyblisters
04-16-2010, 10:15
Wayoutthere, is the floor bathtub style or flat? I haven't gotten mine in the mail yet ;)

wayoutthere
04-16-2010, 13:26
Mine has a bathtub floor that rises about 2.5 inches off the ground. I think it is just the way it looks in the picture. With black floors, it can be hard to take a decent picture to see all the details.

I am extremely happy with the way mine comes off the ground to protect against water. Also, there is a lot of room inside the tent -- more than I expected.

Send some pictures when you get your tarp done and have the tent hanging inside.

johnnyblisters
04-16-2010, 23:41
Send some pictures when you get your tarp done and have the tent hanging inside.

Will do. Time to brush up on my sewing skills :-?

Madmax
10-01-2010, 20:34

Nice to hear, as I just ordered this set :)

http://www.bearpawtents.com/pyratent.html
http://www.bearpawtents.com/pyranet1.html

Madmax

randyg45
10-09-2010, 20:41
Madmax, that's the one I looked at a little while ago- the Pyra. I wondered if it might be possible to sew a couple zippers onto my poncho, and thus leave the vestibule at home. Does that seem feasible to you, with the product actually in hand? TIA

Ann Maison
05-07-2012, 23:13
I just bought a Luna 2 from John. I asked for a full net floor as opposed to just a perimeter. I asked him how much he thought it would weigh he guessed it to be around 16 oz. with .54 cuben fiber. However, when I got it and weighed it, it was almost 27 oz. I can understand being off by an ounce or two but not 10. I asked for a refund and he said they don't do refunds on custom work. Really disappointed. $420 down the tubes.

Ann Maison
05-07-2012, 23:13
I should mention it was a Bearpaw Luna 2.

arctic_one
05-08-2012, 12:38
I've had an incredibly bad experience with John at Bearpaw. I called him because I was torn between a Pyra and Bearden and I wanted some modifications. I wanted a light single wall tent with a full net door and floor so that I could have the doors open for ventilation and still be protected from bugs. I was set on a Pyra but he convinced me that a Luna was better suited for me as it already had the full net door and he could easily modify the floor so it was full. He also said it would weigh about 16 oz. I got the tent, weighed it and it was 26 oz not 16. I emailed him to ask why. He said that he had never made a Pyra with a full net door so wasn't sure about the weight and it was what it was. I was floored... I ordered the Luna. He insisted that I didn't... apparently he failed to note that I ended up wanting the Luna and so made me the Pyra which weighed way more than he said it would. I will admit I didn't notice that on the invoice, in the notes, that he put Pyra. I honestly thought I was getting a Luna and didn't notice the mistake. I thought he knew what he was doing.
He refuses to admit his mistake, so now I'm out over $400 and stuck with a tent that is only a few ounces less than my current one. I've contacted the BBB but I don't think it will help.
I would stay away from Bearpaw until he gets his stuff figured out. His website is a mess and it's hard to figure out what's what on there

rgarling
05-08-2012, 14:03
Ann Maison == arctic_one ??? Sorry you didn't get what you thought you ordered, but please stop with the extra User names.