PDA

View Full Version : Tent camping green mountains bear bag?

Alaskanhkr23
04-03-2010, 14:53
Ok so I'm going camping with girlfriend and daughter in Vt for three days and I'm wondering if I need or should bear bag? Is there problems with them there? I myself have not had a problem, but with a 7 yr old little girl o wanna be safe.:)

WalkingStick75
04-03-2010, 16:01
I have never had a problem with bears, anywhere. The only people that seem the have problems are the ones that cook greasy foods in camp, don't wash dishes, leave food around etc. Keep a clean camp and hang your food at night as a precaution. You didn't say were you were hiking at but I took my kids to Stratton Pond for one of their first trips. Easy walk in, water, swimming, lots to explore and easy walk out. They still talk about that trip.

Deadeye
04-03-2010, 16:08
Bears are not generally a problem in VT... yet. But you never know - there's been a problem bear around Seth Warner shelter in some recent years, and Twin Brooks tenting area had problems the first year it was opened (the bear was there first!)

There's a bajillion opinions about food storage options. Myself, I usually use a bear canister now... lots of places require it, it keeps my food and other stuff dry and uncrushed, etc.

YMMV

jnl82381
04-03-2010, 16:51
there is a bear reserve an hour north of killington where my dad lives and the bears come up to the houses and get into trash cans and grills. not sure how far south they wander but I'm sure the AT is well within their range. I'd hang your food.

Snowleopard
04-03-2010, 20:57
Are you going soon? There's probably still a lot of snow at higher elevations with lots of mud where there's no snow. It's likely melting fast which will make it muddier.

canoehead
04-03-2010, 21:09
"I myself have not had a problem, but with a 7 yr old little girl o wanna be safe.:)"

Sounds like you got the answer. It doesn't take much effort and may give her a piece of mind knowing it's there. Not to mention modeling safe camping ethics.
It's a win win for her and the bear.
Have fun