PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of Gaiters

twosticks
10-13-2004, 15:04
Hello all,
What's your opinions on using gaiters while backpacking in the summer? Upsides/downsides? Thanks in advance!

chris
10-13-2004, 15:10
The one and only upside to wearing gaiters in the summertime is to keep bits of dirt, rock, etc out of your shoes or boots. I think this is a pretty minimal benefit, as it is rare (in the last 5000 miles of hiking) for me to get much crude inside my shoes, and it is really pretty easy to get it out. One might be able to argue (poorly, I think) that the gaiters will help keep ticks off of you.

On the downside, putting gaiters on will increase the heat of your feet. Depending on the person, this could mean a big increase in blisters, as your feet sweat more and more. I think having comfortable feet is rather important to hiking, so this is a big downside for me.

On a more vain note, I personally think people wearing gaiters in the summer look absolutely foolish, while others think they look more outdoorsy, in a technical sort of way.

Footslogger
10-13-2004, 15:17
Not really any "cons" to gaiters, unless you consider having to put them on and take them off to be a "con". You either like them or don't.

Only thing to be careful about is the material used. Saw a lot of hikers on the AT in 2003 with the Gortex kind who were complaining about the warmth. Same thing that keeps water out keeps the water in ...I used to tell them.

All you really need is something to shed moisture and prevent dirt and debris from getting in your shoes/boots. Another nice feature of the high gaiters is that they keep brush off your legs in the latter part of the summer when the hiker population starts to fall off and the trail gets a bit crowded with shrubs.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Lone Wolf
10-13-2004, 15:17
Yeah, those knee high gaiters in the summer look goofy as hell. :D

Toolshed
10-13-2004, 15:51
Having hiked very much in the Muddy NE and Adirondacks, I always thought of gaitors as standard equipment. I really liked my OR crocs.

However, after moving to PA on '00 I stopped wearing my crocs after my first hike. I did later go out and get some breathable stretchable low nylon jobs for over my 806's, to keep crap out of my shoes (I mistakenly thought that is was forest duff getting between my heel and the back of my old 803's and 804's, wearing them out prematurely).

While I still wear my gaitors on longer, wetter, muddier peak trips in the NE with my heavy boots, I have given up on them for general backpacking.

Jack Tarlin
10-13-2004, 15:59
I have never owned or used them.

It always seemed to me that their principal purpose was to keep twigs, pebles, and other assorted crud out of one's shoes. This happens every so often, but not that much, and for me, stopping and digging the offending matter out of my boots is always a good excuse to take a short rest break.

CeeJay
10-13-2004, 16:19
I hiked the whole trail with the long ones and liked them. They kept a lot of mud off my boots and pants. They kept overgrown paths with jaggers from scratching my legs when I was wearing shorts- also made less area for misquitos and black flies to bite. I do not tend to sweat a lot and wore leather boots with goretex lining. I maybe had one or two blisters the whole time on the trail and they weren't bad ones. The only time my feet got wet (twice) was when I stepped in water over the top of the boots.

The Solemates
10-13-2004, 16:39
hiked the whole trail without gaiters, even though I have a pair. we even hiked in up to 3 ft of snow and never had a need for them. you dont really need them. they are just extra weight. in snow, your feet are gonna get wet anyways, even with gaiters. in rain, the same is true. in summer, yes, gaiters do help with the rocks, but in my opinion they are way too hot, thus outweighing their advantages.

twosticks
10-13-2004, 16:40
So the possible plusses (sp?) is less area for bugs and tics to go, and keeping stuff out of your boots. Why not just wear pants and wear them over your boots. True, not as rockproof, but would it be just a minimal gain with the gaiters?

Thanks

The Solemates
10-13-2004, 16:42
people do not really wear pants on the AT all that much. wearing shorts does allow for rocks, etc to get in your boots, but after a while you grow accustomed to it and it doesnt bother you. if it is so large that it does bother you, take 5 seconds and dig it out.

Peaks
10-13-2004, 17:09
For what it's worth, here's my two cents.

I hiked for decades with out them. And then bought some for my thru-hike and used them. Afterwards, I usually don't use them.

The theory is that gaiters keep skree out of your shoes, and thus your socks stay cleaner and don't wear out as fast, or you don't need to stop and empty out your boots. While that's true, they also keep your feet warmer. Even the OR Rocky Mountain Lows that I used. One thing for certain, it didn't stop my feet from getting wet when it rained. Water ran down my legs and right into the boot just like always.

I don't wear them when I am wearing long pants because the cuffs on the pant legs keep the skree out anyway.

If you are going through snow, then there is a place for them. If you are in muddy conditions, then there is a place for them.

So, I really have mixed feelings about them. Like all gear, it's all personal preference. Why not start without them, and see if you are getting a lot of skree in your boots or not. Mountain Crossings and other outfitters will be happy to sell you a pair if you decide later to try them.

Alligator
10-13-2004, 17:12
Summer-Short cheap gaitors to keep crap out of the boots. $6.00 CA at MEC (100 grams ~ 3.5 oz). Keeps pebbles, twigs, and mud out of the boot. If you're quick, water too. In addition, they keep mud off your laces. Shorties cover so little area, I don't see any bug protection. But they will keep burrs and such off your socks also. Long ones in summer can be warm. Don't waste your money on Goretex ones unless you plan on using them in the winter.

I have hiked in 3 ft of snow, that is to say, post-holing. Without gaitors, as you drag your boot out of the snow, the top edge of the boot will scrape snow around the ankle. This is cold, wet, and uncomfortable IMO. Also, repelling slushy water is needed, sometimes there's snow on top, slush below. But these are winter problems.

A-Train
10-13-2004, 18:23
I ditched my tall boys in Waynesboro for some short gaiters that broke in N. Woodstock. I trashed them at the Cascade B and B and went to Katahdin, never needing, missing or remotely thinking about having gaiters. They are pretty worthless IMO.

I found that the tall boys simply made my legs sweat unecessarily. I started to get acne on my legs, which sucks. I have my long ones for occasional winter trips, though I wouldn't recommend buying them, let alone saying they are necessary. As Chris hinted, I believe they are more for the "outdoorsy" feel more than anything.

Skeemer
10-13-2004, 19:00
I just got back from hiking the JMT with 4 other guys, I was the only one who wore full gaitors. I'm glad I did, it kept the fine sandy dust off my legs and out of my boots. They also warm up my legs in the morning, Shorts and gaitors are a nice step down from pants. I wore them on the AT and MY SOCKs NEVER GOT DIRTY.

Now, whether girls should wear underwear on the trail...that's worth discussing.

Footslogger
10-13-2004, 19:01
Hey Skeemer ...quit trying to change the subject !!

smokymtnsteve
10-13-2004, 19:03
Now, whether girls should wear underwear on the trail...that's worth discussing.

depends on the weather, cold weather you defintely need long underwear :D

java
10-13-2004, 19:31
I don't care if I look goofy, but I almost always wear gaiters. I buy the cheap ones from Campmor, they breathe much more than the OR ones because the fabric is a lot lighter. They usually last 800 miles or so.

I like them most in the mud. For some reason when I hike in the mud the dirt seems to crawl up my legs, when I get to camp I can just take off my gaiters and my legs aren't as filthy.
I also like them in the wind because they usually keep me warm enough that I don't have to stop and put pants on. (I do wear shorts, and underwear if you're really curious). They're like half-pants.
I also do a lot of hiking in the Whites and the keep my shins from getting scraped up.
You see, I am goofy looking and rather clumsy.

I also wear them around town to make myself look more outdoorsy and to solidify my position in society as a former thru-hiker. Make that a worthless slackpacker who's hiked a lot of miles. ;)
-java

NotYet
10-13-2004, 22:17
Before my thru-hike, I never used to wear gaiters except in snow. But I got the low ones part way through my hike, and I have to admit I like using them. First, they keep all of those sharp spruce needles and pesky peebles from tormenting me. Second, I am a "clutzy walker" so somehow I always seem to end up rubbing mud on the inside of my lower legs, socks and boots...but now it's usually only the gaiters that get overly muddy.

As for it being too hot...although I'm the type that sweats profusely, I am one of those "blue foots" with poor circulation to the extremeties. So, my feet getting too hot is not usually a big concern for me (a plus in the summer but a definite minus in the winter!).

Outdoorsy vs. Goofy?...Well that's easy, and there is no way around it. Gaiters definitely look goofy!!! But that's okay, I have a long history of looking goofy! :bse (Lots of people think my hiking poles look strange, too.)

Flash Hand
10-14-2004, 02:23
I never intend to buy any gaiter before my thru hike attempt this year, but after seeing more snakes being bathing for sun on the trail, will consider buying snake proof gaiters.

While hiking, I got the stories that Ranger died of heart attack resulted from panic due to the snake bite. I met a most recent snake bite victim at trail days. He showed me the wounds. I head the story that you would have to pay whooping $1,000 for an anti-venom shot. I d rather $40 snake proof gaiters over a luxury trip to hospital.

yeah, I know I might look goofy all the way from Springer to Katahdin, but it will always give me a ease at mind with relaxing, worry-free that those fangs of angry snakes won't get through my flesh.

Sorry if my opinion might be of any difference from Balt. Jack.

Snake proof gaiters will be my best insurance protection like how your insurance company loves car with airbags.

Flash Hand :jump

Ramble~On
10-14-2004, 03:18
The AT and other trails for me have never been about making a fashion statement. So I guess to some and their opinion I look goofy in my gaiters.
I don't see a need for the foot long, up to the knee things but the shorties have earned their worth to me by keeping mud out of my boots and my boot laces from getting muddy. I've not noticed any problem with my feet sweating from gaiters. I like them and that is all that matters to me.

highway
10-14-2004, 04:41
They are useless weight serving little purpose and are goofy looking; I've never used them.

Snake gaiters? Now there is some serious useless weight.

orangebug
10-14-2004, 07:04
Never used them, hence you think they're goofy looking and useless... :-?

I personally have used short gaitors in snow and summer heat. I've enjoyed the benefits of keeping ticks, sticks, stones and snow out of my shoes. I'm certainly not into hiking as a fashion statement, and avoid the fashion police on trail and in town. I doubt that "snake proof" gaitors are superior to regular ones, especially given the rarity of snake bite and infrequent envenomation.

Footslogger
10-14-2004, 10:55
Seems a bit one-sided to declare gaiters "useless" and then say that you've never used them in the same breath.

It's all about opinions and everyone is entitled to theirs ...but if you've never tried something it might be a bit presumptuous to give it such a negative rating.

I'm not saying ...but I'm just saying, that there are a lot of new comers here at Whiteblaze and they ought to get more balanced feedback.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Icicle
10-14-2004, 11:16
I read more than I post....

I appreciate the comments for and against - and it doesn't matter to me if someone has never had any and doesn't think they are necessary....simply because I have never had any and wonder if they are necessary...

This thread has helped me make my decision...

Now this newbie will go back to her viewing corner...

(oh and I have been known to go commando while hiking! :p )

Footslogger
10-14-2004, 11:35
Well ...I guess I stand corrected then. Way back when, prior to my thru-hike, I liked getting lots of feedback too, both negative and positive. But, I generally appreciated the information more from hikers who had at least some experience on the subject or with the item under discussion.

Guess we're all different ...and that's one of the things that makes this website so great.

By the way, one piece of feedback on this thread was about the weight of gaiters. Well, you're not carrying them in your pack for one thing ...and unless you're talking about the Everest grade Goretex style they really aren't that heavy. I used both the low and high versions during my thru-hike last year, made out of lightweight nylon. I sprayed them with a water repellant coating and they worked fine. As mentioned earlier by Skeemer, the use of high gaiters with shorts is a decent combination. I hardly wore long pants at all during my thru.

Oh yeah ...and I did pluck quite a few ticks off of the gaiters at night in the campsite.

Anyhew ...just my .02

'Slogger
AT 2003

The Will
10-14-2004, 13:02
Perhaps we could better define the merits of gators as they relate to a specific usage--On trail hiking versus off-trail orienteering, the bog of the arctic and sub-arctic, desert, X-country skiing, mountaineering, etc..

I make use of gators for most of my winter applications and wouldn't consider going without them on any type of bushwhacking/orienteering effort.

Most of these post I'm sure are referring to backpacking on a trail. I would think that as much as 90% of the time or more that gators may not be a necessary form of protection in this environment. That said, I wear a pair of OR flex-tex low gators when hiking on trails. As they have no waterproof breathable membrane, they breath exceptionally and I don't find excess foot heat to be a concern. How much do they actually help or could I quantify the amount of "stuff" they keep out? No. And not knowing tells me that they are simply doing all I ask of them in those instances in which they are a benefit.

tlbj6142
10-14-2004, 13:44
By the way, one piece of feedback on this thread was about the weight of gaiters. Well, you're not carrying them in your pack for one thing ...Actually, foot weight is 6.4 (or is it 6.2?) times heavier than pack weight. So, OR Lows (probably the most "common" model I see) at 4.8oz is the equivalent of 30.72oz in your pack. That's a quart of water!

I've never used gaiters, but I can see a need on some over grown and/or skree covered trails. Tick protection seems like a good benefit as well.

Footslogger
10-14-2004, 13:57
That's interesting feedback YellowJacket. Never knew those proportions. All things considered though, I'd rather have 30 some odd extra ounces at ground level than on my back.

I realized on my thru last year that my legs are probably the strongest part of my body at this point in my life. I feel extra pack weight on my back and knees a lot more than I notice the difference between trail runners and boots, as an example. What I did last year was wear the low gaiters with boots at the beginning of my hike and then switched to the higher gaiters with trail runners later on up north. That combination worked great for me.

'Slogger
AT 2003

gravityman
10-14-2004, 15:02
Actually, foot weight is 6.4 (or is it 6.2?) times heavier than pack weight. So, OR Lows (probably the most "common" model I see) at 4.8oz is the equivalent of 30.72oz in your pack. That's a quart of water!

I've never used gaiters, but I can see a need on some over grown and/or skree covered trails. Tick protection seems like a good benefit as well.

How is foot weight 6.4 times pack weight? That makes no sense. I've heard this before (maybe this is a Ray J's weirdness?) and never understand how people come up with this.

Gravity

Mags
10-14-2004, 15:11
I never use gaiters during three seaon hiking. Find (for me) they do not help. As with Jack, the few stones and twigs that get in my sneaks I find easy enough to yank out.

I do use high gaiters during the winter as snow in your boots ain't too fun. :-)

tlbj6142
10-14-2004, 16:14
How is foot weight 6.4 times pack weight?I think it is a work/energy thing. It requires 6.4 times the effort to hike 1 mile with an extra pound on your feet than it does with an extra pound on your back.

Probably has something to do with actual distance. As the item on your feet gets "lifted" through the mile (meaning more actual distance traveled), whereas the item on your back travels just 1 miles.

The 6.4 number comes from a bp'er article about a year ago. In which they hired some univeristy? Or "sport science firm" to compare various energy comsumptions metrics. I think the same article showed that using trekking poles resulted in 30% (50%?) more energy comsumption than without.

I think Jardine metions this in his book, but doesn't put an actual number to it. Other than something like "for every ounce saved on your feet you can hike another mile per day consuming the same amount of energy" or something like that.

TDale
10-14-2004, 16:26
Just imagine the energy cost of hiking poles. :)

Kerosene
10-16-2004, 08:38
I tried gaitors on one section hike and they've sat in my gear selection since then. The only time I might like to have them is when I'm hiking through a wet field, but it just doesn't seem to be worth the 4 oz. of weight (OR shorties).

MileMonster
10-16-2004, 16:57
My gaiter experience:

I didn't use gaiters until 3-or-so years ago. I've used OR highs and REI Spring Gaiter regularly since. This more-or-less corresponds to my switch from heavy boots to low-top trail runners. With the way I walk combined with low-toppers, I seem to constantly get scree in my shoes. Gaiters solved my problem in a lighter-weight, more comfortable way than switching back to high-top shoes.

I wore gaiters just about every day on my thru, switching from high to lows after it warmed up. If you decide to go with gaiters make sure your shoes of choice have some heel and a gap between the heel and forefoot on the sole when you step. If the sole is fairly flat with little heel (like many trail-runners) then you will eat thru the cord on the gaiter that runs under the foot. Over rocky terrain you cold be replacing the cord every day.

Alligator
10-16-2004, 20:55

...If you decide to go with gaiters make sure your shoes of choice have some heel and a gap between the heel and forefoot on the sole when you step. If the sole is fairly flat with little heel (like many trail-runners) then you will eat thru the cord on the gaiter that runs under the foot. Over rocky terrain you cold be replacing the cord every day.
On my boots with short gaiters, I have no need for the loop under the sole. I just hook them to the laces. But, I cannot say this will be the case for trail runners. I will be trying out my new trail runners next month though.

Blue Sky II
10-17-2004, 10:57
Some hikers, like me, kick lots of trail debris into their shoes, but other hikers don't seem to have that problem to any great extent. How do you fare? I use light, 2-3 oz., breathable gaiters with trail running shoes. Don't want hot, sweat-inducing gaiters in the summer. Permethrin sprayed on the gaiters helps to reduce tick anxiety, an important issue in many locations.
Blue Sky II

hiker dude
10-17-2004, 14:09
Merlin don't knit. I got some stretch waterproof breathable 1.5 oz Mont-bell gators to wear with my Goretex Montrail Javas 13 or 18 oz?/, sneakers over top my 25mile triathlon Utramax 1.5oz socks That I put my Red Ledge full side zip pants [ 2oz more than the others without full zips.] right over the shoes and gaitors and socks. Now I never took off my gaitors or socks or shoes off all day and the gators keep my shoes tied. And the rain will run down my parka down my pants and over my gators and shoes. Cause they are stretch gaitors. But I can pull my pants off or faster than anybody anywhere anytime over my nylon track shorts 2oz. Some have their style, I respect that. :sun I know everything your all saying here. But this is my way, our way, the way. I only hike 10 miles a day in your way. I brag about who did the least miles today. etc without running out of food stealth camping. Side trails, and wildlife count for points for flyer miles, like the side trail to the flume mountain and back. You get free flyer miles to go there while your there. Now if that's not a deal, what is. What I do is construct a parachute out of my tarp tent and glide to the bottom passing everyone down the trail if I want to do a 50 mile day.

Pencil Pusher
10-17-2004, 18:26
Ankle weights are cheap enough. Go strap two pounds on each ankle and go for a hike, then do the same hike (maybe a few days later after you've recovered) with those on your back to feel the difference.
As for gaiters, I don't think you notice the weight, though maybe that'd be a different story with the snake gaiters. I can see why a hiker would justify wearing snake gaiters for this trail. I wouldn't, but I can see why others would. For gaiters in general, as others have mentioned it depends alot on the situation. A cheap pair costs maybe $20, so try them out and see for yourself. In a bind, some have used plastic trash bags and duct tape as an alternative. Or, grab the top of your socks and double them back over your shoe/boot for a temporary fix.

twosticks
10-17-2004, 19:09
Thanks all for your opinions and info. I'll keep it all in mind.

fehchet
10-17-2004, 19:20
The day I hiked with Hurricane Frances overhead, I didnt wear gaiters. In fact I thought gaiters were not worth the fuss. But with the rain pouring down during my breaks I couldn't sit down. I had to stand as I munched on my gorp. The next thing I know some of the gorp has fallen from my hand into my boots. Who would have thunk it? Anyway, I pick up some low form fitting gaiters when I get to Damascus and within an hour a dog bites me in the ankle and the new gaiters save me. ;)

flyfisher
10-17-2004, 20:10
I've worn the OR high packcloth gaiters for a couple hundred miles. They help me with keeping poison ivy off my legs, wet grass off my legs (keeping my feet drier) and they help to keep rain from running down my legs into my boots.

In addition, they do help keep pebbles, sand, and twigs out of my low shoes.

I did some measurements of foot temperature with and without gaiters. My feet were much hotter with the gaiters.

Somewhere in Georgia, on my way to Clingman's Dome, I discovered that I could open about 4 inches of the front velcro of the gaiters, down near my shoe tops and this made it easy for my feet to "breathe" and kept moisture from condensing inside the gaiters. After I started wearing them partly open (except when it was raining or I was slogging through grass or briars) my feet did much better that without them or with them closed.

minnesotasmith
10-21-2004, 07:01
They were mail-ordered from Everyday Gaiters, and are summer-weight full-calf ones. I had gotten a bit tired of all the scratches and dirt on my calves when I hiked on the AT while wearing shorts, so figured that they have to be worth a try. Even when there has not been any rain in a number of days, dew will still make going through brush a moist experience, and (water + dust = mud) in my experience. I will try them out on my next hike, and am optimistic that they will be worth having. If I find gaiters to not always be useful, their weight and space are negligible, not to mention quick to take off, so stuffing in them in my pack and hauling them home would not be any hardship, after all.

Pencil Pusher
10-21-2004, 11:14
Plus they're good for your tender feet to stand on, when taking the boots off. Usually dry too, if they're waterproof. If so, use them to keep your butt from getting wet while sitting down on the turf.

ToeJam
01-16-2005, 10:51
well, I was searching for info on gaiters and found this thread - I'm sure there is many more out there, with different spellings, etc lol!

So, yes or no to the current crew we have here (didnt see too many in this thread) and why?

I have never tried them, and our sections are normally in April or so. Think it would be beneficial or not? Altho lol, I like what one of the trail chicks said about the school-girl look if you are going with a skirt hehe! ;) But I am looking for more real reasons for or aganist at this point.

:o (Edit: whoops, my bad, there were more replies than I thought - I ALWAYS forget to check to see if there are subsequent pages after the first! Oh well, maybe anyone else has .02 to add as well!)

art to linda
01-16-2005, 13:56
It depends on the type of ground I'm walking on.... I have a short pair and find they keep out the duff and sand/small rocks. I don't know if I just walk funny or what but find that in loose soils I end up with junk in my boots and the gaiters save me from stoping and cleaning them out. Small & light enough to make little differance in the pack along with saving time and stress on the feet!

ocourse
01-16-2005, 15:32
I got some OR TERRA GAITERS last summer and only used them for a few days. They do keep stuff out of shoes and off socks. Maybe the best thing I noticed is that my laces stay tied - but that can be fixed with an extra half-hitch in the laces. I did get hotter and I couldn't get comfortable with the top snap and it rubbed my skin badly. Are you supposed to have the top of your sock between skin and snap? If so, how will the gaiters shed water to the outside of your boots (when wearing shorts)? If they do keep boots dry in a pretty good rain, I would probably think they are worth carrying. I will give them a better chance at pleasing me when I resume my trail excursions, but at this point they are not on my "must take" list.

Creaky
01-16-2005, 16:07
I wear the shorties all three seasons in the Whites. They keep muck, dirt, random vegetation, and pebbles out of my shoes/boots. They are not especially hot.

Downside #1: The ones with zips up the back inevitably and invariably get their teeth clogged up and you have a heck of a time getting out of them. Get the OR type with velcro up the front.

Downside #2: Occasionally the under-foot cord loosens and then catches on roots, etc. Use a cord lock to keep these snugged up.

Some of my friends think they look dopey, some think they look cool. I think they have the right to think anything they want, but how they LOOK is the least of my worries.

oldfivetango
01-17-2005, 09:43
I learned along time ago that when i wore "snake boots" in the woods i
saw the same number of snakes that i always did(mostly never) but
that i sure was getting little to no tick activity.
Could it be that the ticks can't sense warmth and blood through the
material or is it that they just cant get through?
And show me the mosquito that can bite your shins or ankle through a
gaiter!(and i will be otta here)
As for looks- old folks dont care 'bout their stinkin' looks.That is due in large
part to the fact that we are old enough now to know we actually look better
than we are ever going to look again;ie,its all downhill from here!
I've not worn mine in warm weather yet and that may be a problem.
I sure like them in cool weather so far.If they get too hot i can always
take them off and become a leg commando.:bse
Cheers to all,
Oldfivetango

Rockjock
01-17-2005, 09:54
Well as the old addage goes about opinions here's mine. I used to do alot of hiking in ME, NH, and VT and between the two seasons of mud and snow they were very handy to have to keep junk out of your boots and off of your pants. But since moving to TN I have really only used them on trails that I know are heavily overgrown, they do manage to keep the various and sundry prickers from grabbing ahold but they are very warm. Don't know about keeping ticks or chiggers off I rarely (knock on wood) get them anyway. Well theres my 2 cents.
RockJock

neo
01-17-2005, 22:31
i wasted money on the summer rei gaiters:sun neo

Mouse
01-18-2005, 19:33
I went the whole trail gaiterless with no problems. Even in snow the trail was usually pretty trampled.

Smooth03
01-18-2005, 19:56
Hiked the whole trail gatorless. Its preference but my preference is its just an additional 6 ounces of weight for each foot.

Patco
01-18-2005, 22:24
I've been reading about hiking with long gaiters and hiking with short gairters and folks talking about buying a pair of gaiters - where y'all from? Lousiana?! They got some 15 foot gaiters there and in the NY sewers they got some 2 foot albino gaiters. I think this thread should be along with "dogs on the trail" if folks is gonna be bringing gaiters along - I ain't sharring no shelter with them that's fo sho. I do agree that gaiter hide would make some nice hiking boots, ya know? :jump