PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut section

Joker4ink
04-04-2010, 01:21
Hi everyone. Living in Connecticut, I decided that I am going to do the Connecticut portion of the AT starting in NY and ending in MA. Just curious how long it has taken you if you have done it. Anything specific I should keep in mind? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve

KMACK
04-04-2010, 01:48
Some have done it in two days! Thats too fast for me but if you have a map you will find plenty of shelters/camp locations spaced fairly evenly so pick your own pace. Check for tics at the end of every day and try to go before the leaves come out, you'll have better views. Enjoy!

emerald
04-04-2010, 10:30
If you haven't already explored Appalachian Trail Conservancy's website, begin your search at Hike the Trail (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805465/k.9760/Hike_the_Trail.htm) to get the information you seek straight from its source.

You'll find details specific to Connecticut in ALDHA's Online Companion linked at the bottom of each of my posts. Click on the white blazes.

sasquatch2014
04-04-2010, 10:45
Keep in mind that the parking as you come off at Jug End Rd in Mass is pretty limited so you may want to push further or set up to leave a car somewhere safer and get a shuttle at the end of you hike to your car. There is good ample parking at the NY/CT line area.

I am not sure what your hiking ability is but keep in mind that what most section hikers can do out of the gate vs folks who are doing thru hikes or month plus sections are different animals. It's basically 60 miles from "road to road". You have some sections, like the river walk out of Kent, that you can make good quick miles on and other sections that will be harder and more difficult footing wise so better to plan you days low and take more time to enjoy it than have to hammer down worrying that you will run out of time. Not sure when you are planning to do this hike but for me I could kill a few hours swimming at the falls or bulls bridge if it is nice out so take that into account if you want.

Don H
04-04-2010, 12:05
Met a couple of guys on the trail last year that did it straight through in one day, less than 24 hours.

Tin Man
04-04-2010, 12:55
4-5 days in CT terrain for most section hikers. Personally, I wouldn't push too hard as there are some nice views along the way.

Cookerhiker
04-04-2010, 17:55
I did it in a series of slackpacks over 5 days (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=59528). That's pretty leisurely. It was in late October with less daylight plus it took me time to hitchhike everyday from my car to where I was starting.

johnnyblisters
04-04-2010, 18:54
It's a breeze in about 5 days from Bulls bridge to Jug End. Read up, make a plan, and have fun!

Joker4ink
04-04-2010, 21:47
Thanks for the responses guys. I am 29 and good physical condition and I figured 4 or 5 days, as what a couple others here thought. I'm not on a time table so if I go longer or shorter its no big deal. I was interested in hearing what other people thought. I generally do 1.75mph so I figure I'm going to start from Hoyt Road and end on the road off of Everett Mtn. I am actually going this month and I'm very much looking forward to it.

makoboy
04-05-2010, 11:14
Taking my time as a sectioner it took 5 days to go from Hoyt Rd to the northern side of Everett.

Del Q
04-05-2010, 13:16
Great section of the AT, tougher than I expected, agree on great views, B&B in Salsbury is killer, views from hills above town are great, a bit further North are even better - on a clear day you can see Mt Greylock in Northern Mass.

Have a blast!

MelNino
04-08-2010, 06:34
Hi! Another CT hiker here.....I love the AT section here, hope to do more of it real soon. We did a quick hike up Bear a few weeks ago....was rather nice....good amount of snow still at the top, great views...

UGH!!! Why am I sitting inside? Only to drive to sit inside longer??

Joker4ink
04-10-2010, 00:04
Woo hoo, more CT hikers! I hear nothing but good things about Bear so that will be the last stop on my section hike. Hope the weather cooperates next week!

sasquatch2014
04-10-2010, 06:28
I think that Tim Man was going up that way with a scout troop this week so he should be able to say how the trail up high is but I would think it should be clear soon of any last bits of snow.

Now a shameless plug. All you Ct hikers check out the Trail maintenance forum about a big work project that is slated for the days 4/22 to 4/26 in Pawling NY on the AT only 9 trail miles from CT.

KevinW
04-10-2010, 09:44
To reiterate what someone mentioned above, check for ticks. I did the AT/Mohawk Trail Loop this week and the Mohawk portion was brutal, especially from Route 43 north to AT junction.. I left the pants at home because I got caught up with the heat wave we were having.. bad move.

Joker4ink
04-10-2010, 14:32
Frequent tick checks will be in order then. Nice plug on the trail maintenance too!

adamkrz
04-10-2010, 15:43
If you like the Ct. section( which you will ) you will love the Mass.a.t. section, You can enjoy a nice campfire at night..