PDA

View Full Version : Size of MSR Fuel Bottle

dje97001
10-13-2004, 16:14
OKay... this one has nothing to do with Alcohol stoves.
My wife and I are still in gear purchasing territory for a hopeful 2006 thru. We spent time this summer testing out our recently acquired gear and now I'm expanding into cooking. I am getting a whisperlite international so that I can burn any kind of fuel in it, and also because I think it will better serve the needs of two hikers (in terms of fuel efficiency and time to boil). Weight is important, but I don't plan on simmering stuff. Ultimately my impression is that for TWO hikers cooking together, the alcohol stove just won't cut the mustard.

My question is, what size fuel bottle would you all recommend? 11oz? 22oz? or 33oz? Would it be better for each of us to carry a smaller fuel bottle? If we were to "cook" (water) for breakfast and dinner everyday with the whisperlite, what would you do?

chomp
10-13-2004, 16:21
If you both are going to be cooking for breakfast and dinner, I would probably go with the 22oz bottle. I myself carried an 11oz, cooked only dinner, and found that a full bottle lasted WEEKS. That was, of course, after the first couple of weeks when I got good at using the stove. Oh, and don't do two smaller bottles - the one advantage of the 22oz over the 11 oz (other than capasity) is that you get better pressure and don't typically have to pump while cooking.

chknfngrs
10-13-2004, 16:24
the learning curve for in-field use for this is quite sharp. but, as stated, one 22 oz bottle would suffice.

The Solemates
10-13-2004, 16:37
my wife and i started from springer in the dead of winter with both a 22 oz and 11 oz bottle. we cooked twice a day for the both of us and used up all the fuel in a 7-10 day period. when it got warmer we tossed the 11 oz bottle and used up the 22 oz bottle in the same 7-10 day period. by the end of our thru, we were getting really good and fuel efficiency and carried only the 11 oz bottle for the both of us. Granted, we had to fill it up every 3-5 days.

dje97001
10-13-2004, 16:45
Hey! Given the number of people in this (and other) forums, I was beginning to doubt that anyone successfully completes thruhikes with their spouse! Good to hear you did. I think based on your suggestions that a 22oz would probably be good enough--if we practice with the stove a good bit before heading out on the trail?

I was also wondering, for the two of you, what did you take in the way of the rest of your cookset? 2-quart pot? Bowls? Anything else you could tell me about your experience that relates to gear for two would be great! Thanks.

Peaks
10-13-2004, 17:00
Well, I'll jump in here.

First, are both of you going to make it together? Who knows. But, there have been several couples that were married before hand and did complete the trail together. One thing for certain. It's going to be a good test of your marriage. Best of luck to you both.

Stove selection: that depends also on when you are starting, and how much cooking you plan to do. I would not necessarily rule out alcohol stoves just because there are two of you. This past summer I cycled coast to coast with my daughter, and we used the alcohol stove a lot.

When are you starting? If it's late March/early April, or earlier, then you will have some cold weather. Not the time to wait around for alcohol stove to heat your meals. Better to start with the gas stove. If you are just boiling 2 or 4 cups of water for Liptons, then an alcohol stove will do the job just fine. If you are trying to heat more than that (such as for Mac & cheese), then go with the gas stove.

If in doubt, start with a gas stove. It's cheap enough to switch over to alcohol later. Myself, I don't see the need for the international version. The regular MSR whisperlite works just fine. Coleman fuel is readily available along the way. And if it's not, just use unleaded gasoline from a service station.
But why not consider the MSR simmerlite? It's lighter, and you can reduce the heat output better.

What size fuel bottle? I found that the small bottle worked just fine for one person. I could easily go at least a week on one filling. So, probably the 22 ounce size is more than enough for two.

The Solemates
10-13-2004, 17:56
In answer to your questions, we shared everything we could.

We used 1 snowpeak Ti 1L pot, with lid/frying pan ($50). My wife also carried a really cheap, lightweight bowl purchased in a boy scout mess kit for $5. We each had a lexan spoon ($1 ea). No knife...really no need. Our stove was the Simmerlite, which I would recommend over the Whisperlite, unless youve already bought it.

We also shared a sleeping bag (gift-12 yrs old) when it got warmer. We used a fleece liner for the bottom and just draped a 20deg bag over the top.

Of course, we shared a 2-man tent. The Mtn Hardwear Waypoint II ($250) is a single wall tent that is plenty big enough for a couple. It is the best tent Ive ever owned (Ive owned 4 tents of similar characteristics).

I carried a full 1L water bottle. She carried a full 1.5L water bladder. Plus we had another 2.5L collaspable bladder for use in camp.

We used a water filter (free-I found it), the PUR somethingoranother.

Id be happy to talk to you about anything having to do with hiking as a couple. Email me or do it on here, whatever.

Toolshed
10-13-2004, 18:03
DJE,

You might consider making a pot cozy (from an old foam pad or reflectix) to save on fuel. Bring your water to a boil and turn your stove off. place you pot in the cozy and allow the food to rehydrate in water that will stay extremely hot for up to 45 mintues or so.

I think you would probably want a 2 litre pot for your hike, with 2 people. Especially with a whisperlite - You can always boil a littel extra water in the AM or PM for an extra cup of tea or coffee after your meal.
Good Luck

java
10-13-2004, 19:13
My husband and I (we weren't married yet when we hiked the trail), carried a *gasp* MSR Dragonfly! It is huge and we loved it. Now, when I hike solo I go alcohol, when we hike together now we carry a pocket rocket. The pocket rocket is lighter, but I think it's too tippy. I think the MSR stoves are great for couples, especially if you're like us and cook/boil for both breakfast and dinner.
You don't need a stove that can burn all types of fuels, white gas is plentiful along the AT. We never even remotely had a problem finding it. Oh, and we carried the medium sized bottle, it usually lasted a week.
As for pots, we carried one MSR Blacklite, the 2 liter size. We also carried the lid and a pot lifter. We did not carry bowls, but we each had a mug which we ate and drank out of (at alternate times of course).
We also each had a spork, and we shared one tiny knife. I love sporks.
Alcohol stoves can work for two people, but since you're sharing the weight of everything else, you don't have to be as 'ounce conscious' as a solo hiker, so the MSR stoves are a great luxury item. Oh, and one other thing, I'd get a water bag, it's one item I never hike without. It's especially great for two people and weighs next to nothing. It just makes the nightly 'camp chores' much easier.
Good luck, java
PS this is a water bag if you didn't know: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=13743

smokymtnsteve
10-13-2004, 19:20
when I'm hiking with two folks, I take two fuel bottles a big one and a little one ...I like to make lots hot tea and warm flavored soy milks and pancakes and I like to have plenty of fuel to warm me up a little water to wash my face and such.

Burn baby burn! :D

and java is right about the water bag, get a big one,

and don't forget the coffee press, esp with two people.

almost forgot this spring when I was walking with Little Chicken we had the coleman with two fuel bottles and a pepsi can alcohol burner also, many times we used both stoves to make a meal and coffee, tea or flavored soymilk. so carrying both types stoves is a possibilty with two folks hiking together.

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=50608

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=50920

java
10-13-2004, 19:32
and don't forget the coffee press, esp with two people.
coffee press? well, that goes with out saying! :sun