PDA

View Full Version : Rockfish Gap to Peaks of Otter

johnnybgood
04-04-2010, 12:44
Is it possible to cover the 86 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway AT in 7 days ? Other than "The Priest" are there any more big pulls on this stretch ?
I also want to do a meet-up with family 4 days into this hike but not sure how far I'll be in that time.
I can do 15 miles a day if the terrain is no worse than moderate ups & downs.
Any and all suggestions welcomed.

10-K
04-04-2010, 12:55
Is it possible to cover the 86 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway AT in 7 days ? Other than "The Priest" are there any more big pulls on this stretch ?
I also want to do a meet-up with family 4 days into this hike but not sure how far I'll be in that time.

The climb out of Tye River/VA 56 isn't fun no matter which way you're going but I hiked it going south and the climb up the Priest took me a solid 2 hours if memory serves. Other than that I don't recall anything significantly difficult.

It's probably a bit easier hiking nobo because you'd walk down Humpback Mt. rather tha up it.

But, other the Tye River/VA56 I don't recall anything significantly difficult in that section.

Kerosene
04-04-2010, 14:19
More than enough time to cover 86 miles in 7 days. I believe that hiking up The Priest would be easier than hiking up Three Ridges as the trail is better graded and smoother.

Note that the AT does not cross the Peaks of Otter.

tenbeer
04-04-2010, 15:09
I don't know how far this would be into your hike, north or southbound, but a great meeting place is crabtree falls. There is public parking at the bottom of the falls, and there is great camping above the falls. I did this hike back in the mid nineties, and met friends for a resupply and some adult refreshments. They camped with us that night and we pulled the Priest the next morning. I think you have to get off the AT for a short distance and possibly blue blaze to the parking lot at the top of the falls. I don't know if the top parking lot is still accessible. The crew at the Dutch Haus should know. This is a bed and breakfest right in Montebello, which is right down the road from crabtree falls. There is also a nice store and fishing pond in Montebello. Great native trout fishing in crabtree creek as well. Have Fun.

Cookerhiker
04-04-2010, 17:50

It's been 20 years since I hiked this stretch but I don't think you'll have any problems with the time you're allotting. Have fun! And yes, enjoy Crabtree Falls.

Hikerhead
04-04-2010, 19:59
The Priest will be a nut buster with one or two false summits. Yes, the parking lot at the top of the falls is still open. Pretty good climb after crossing the James too, not steep just long.

Lellers
04-05-2010, 18:57
Lord, I hiked southbound over the Priest last April. I had a blister issue, and I was 45 pounds heavier than I am now. I vowed never to do that again! But, I actually want to go back and do it again without all the pain and extra weight.

Blissful
04-05-2010, 19:59
The Priest is your only real major climb but no big deal, IMO. There is some climb out of the James River, but pretty easy. Also one other climb south of there, that I recall. SOBO is a good way to go.
The toughest part honestly is the downhill off Three Ridges, I think. I hurt my knee there this past fall. Also there is a good rocky section along the BRP near the Ravens Roost area, about a 5 mile section.

Rain Man
04-06-2010, 00:44
Is it possible to cover the 86 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway AT in 7 days ?

I hiked that stretch last summer as part of a couple of section hikes, NOBO, and I'm an old fat guy. Twelve miles a day is certainly doable, especially with long daylight hours.

And since you asked for suggestions,-- The Dutch Haus B&B/Hostel in Montebello. Worth the side trip!
The Dutch Haus (http://www.dutchhaus.com/)

Rain:sunMan

fredmugs
04-07-2010, 12:56
No problem. And a big concur on staying at the Dutch Haus.