PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Gear List

Shadrach
10-13-2004, 19:08
Heres what i'm looking to order tomorrow or the next day. I've gone on a couple of day hikes this summer, looking to do some weekend camping this fall, The Long Trail next summer, and maybe the AT if i'm still interested in 06.

Pack: Kelty Moraine 3600cu (Already bought, will probably exchange at REI for something else)

Tent: REI Roadster/Footprint (already purchased)

Sleeping Bag: Western Mountaineering Highlite (already ordered, will probably order Ultralite as well)

Cocoon Silk Mummy Liner
Therm-a-rest Prolite 4 regular + stuff sack
JetBoil Personal Cooking System
Katadyn Hiker Filter
Leki Ultralite Ti Air Ergo PA AS Trekking Poles
Suunto MC-2G Navigator Compass
REI Wistle Keychain
Nalgene Bottle

I've been researching for about two weeks, and want to make sure i'm not making any obvious mistakes before I go ahead and order.

Lone Wolf
10-13-2004, 19:12
Looks good to me but of course you're going to get 25 experts with 25 different suggestions. :) Go with what you've got.

smokymtnsteve
10-13-2004, 19:30
the nalgene canteen water bags or less weight than the nalgene bottles.

Shadrach
10-13-2004, 19:36
I like those, but the bottle can be used as a measuring cup too. I'm not sure if the stove has measuring notches built in or not, if it does, then i'll go with a canteen bag. Thanks.

smokymtnsteve
10-13-2004, 19:41
I like those, but the bottle can be used as a measuring cup too. I'm not sure if the stove has measuring notches built in or not, if it does, then i'll go with a canteen bag. Thanks.

also before you leave measure how much you stove/pot holds when it is full, if it is half full then you can guess pretty close how much that is ...after awhile you'll not need to measure anyway...you'll just kinda know. also know the volume of you drinking cup if you carry one,

Shadrach
10-13-2004, 19:45
Thats true. Hmm. I think i'll order both and see how I like each :) Thanks!

smokymtnsteve
10-13-2004, 20:03
personally I like a lever type water filter over a "bicycle-pump" type

orangebug
10-13-2004, 20:03
Looks good to me but of course you're going to get 25 experts with 25 different suggestions. :) Go with what you've got.
I bet more like 25 experts with 50 opinions.

Bill...

smokymtnsteve
10-13-2004, 20:04
I bet more like 25 experts with 50 opinions.

Bill...

bi-polars?

orangebug
10-13-2004, 20:07
Take your pot and fill it with some water, say up to where your first joint on you index finger will touch the top of the water. Measure that amount of water. Repeat this procedure for each joint on your finger. If you are really obsessive, make you own scratches on the inside of your pot at a variety of levels/volumes.

Bill...

Shadrach
10-13-2004, 20:10
Whats a good lever style pump, i didn't really see any of those?

orangebug
10-13-2004, 20:11
bi-polars?That was very good! :clap

Of course, I'd prolly recommend something dangerous as no water treatment - or Polar Pure if he absolutely insisted. I'd second guess every choice of backpack and shelter.

If he is smart, he'll rent or borrow before he shells out more money. Of course, we all have full gear closets of bad stuff.

Bill...

smokymtnsteve
10-13-2004, 20:18
Whats a good lever style pump, i didn't really see any of those?

I carry a Sweetwater filter, Mine is the older model of this,

http://www.msrcorp.com/filters/simplicity.asp

lifetime warranty on the pump...i've worn out 3 pumps since 1999, they give me a new one everytime.

Peaks
10-14-2004, 07:51
Many thru-hikers that filter water prefer the Kataydin Hiker model because if pumps much faster than others such as the MSR brand.

kncats
10-14-2004, 08:16
The Suunto MC-2G is probably more compass than most people will ever need. You can save yourself $50-60 and an ounce or so by going with something like the Suunto M-2D or Brunton 9020G.

Peaks
10-14-2004, 16:38
The Suunto MC-2G is probably more compass than most people will ever need. You can save yourself $50-60 and an ounce or so by going with something like the Suunto M-2D or Brunton 9020G.

While I don't know the model number, my backpacking compass is made by Sun, and is about the size of one of those zipper pull thermometers. Weights 1/3 of an ounce.

I'll agree, no need for anything more than a basic orienteering compass such as the Silva Polaris or Silva Starter ($8 to $10, 1 ounce).

Shadrach
10-14-2004, 17:39
Price isn't really an issue if its durable. My scuba diving compass and computer are both Suunto as well and are incredibly high quality.

orangebug
10-14-2004, 20:21
Th mirror is often the most worthwhile part of a compass. If you need to signal for help, or check for ticks, or do other things requiring a mirror - the compass will be handy. Of course if you know how to handle a map and a compass, you have an even better use for it.

Shadrach
10-14-2004, 21:31
"Be an expert with map and compass" is also on my list :P