PDA

View Full Version : Spring fever

Slo-go'en
04-04-2010, 16:12
Wow, what a nice day. :sun In fact, the last few have been down right summer like around here, but today was the first I could go out for at least a little walk. I finally figured out how to get to the "Cascade Apline Brook" walking out my front door. The cascade comes off the mountian about a mile north on the old RR bed behind my place. An old trail climbs up along the cascades for a couple hundred feet of vertical gain. Spetacular flow with snow melt comming down off the mountian which feeds it. I'll have to go back with my camara soon. This used to be a popular tourist trail back in the 20's and 30's with a stair case along the steepist part of the cascades, which you can't get to now. Too bad its been abandoned.

Normally, I'd be heading down south for 4-6 weeks on the AT about now, but can't go until mid May this year. At least I have time to get into shape and it will definately be summer like in the Smokies when I start my trip there this year. That will shave a few pounds off my normal pack load :)

Mud season has officially started and there is still pleanty of snow above 3000 feet, but if this weather presists, it won't last too long. Those looking to do a SOBO might get away with an earlier than normal start this year.

10-K
04-04-2010, 17:43
Mud season has officially started and there is still pleanty of snow above 3000 feet, but if this weather presists, it won't last too long. Those looking to do a SOBO might get away with an earlier than normal start this year.

As I will be hiking up that way in a little over a month I'd like to put in an order for mud season to end early this year. whatdaya think?

Slo-go'en
04-04-2010, 19:10
As I will be hiking up that way in a little over a month I'd like to put in an order for mud season to end early this year. whatdaya think?

I'll see what I can do :rolleyes:. Check back in a month and I'll let you know how it went. Oh, and I found my first tick crawing up my back a few minutes ago..and I've heard tell black flys are out, but I didn't see any today.