PDA

View Full Version : timber ridge trail intersection

shades of blue
04-04-2010, 21:05
I am going to do a loop from FS road 67...hike the beech gap trail to the AT, go Nobo to the Timber ridge trail, hike back to FS road 67, then hike FS road 67 to the beech gap trail head. My question is, how difficult is the intersection of the timber ridge trail and AT to find? I've hiked the AT through here before, but I don't remember the timber ridge trail at all. This is in the Franklin, NC area.
Thanks!

generoll
04-05-2010, 08:05
The Timber Ridge Trail is used enough to be distinguishable. I hiked through there on my Standing Indian Loop hike two weeks ago and remember the intersection, partly because I was looking for it and had hiked up that trail several years ago. I believe the intersection is posted and lies on a fairly level spur where it joins the AT.

The only thing I can say for certain is that if you get to Carter Gap, you went too far. You could always reverse directions if you're concerned, Beech Gap is unmistakeable.

I have an old and well worn map of the area dated 1986 entitled "Southern Nantahala Wilderness and Standing Indian Area".

Hope that helps somewhat.

Pilgrim2K
04-05-2010, 11:01
I am going to do a loop from FS road 67...hike the beech gap trail to the AT, go Nobo to the Timber ridge trail, hike back to FS road 67, then hike FS road 67 to the beech gap trail head. My question is, how difficult is the intersection of the timber ridge trail and AT to find? I've hiked the AT through here before, but I don't remember the timber ridge trail at all. This is in the Franklin, NC area.
Thanks!

I just hiked past the intersection last Thursday and it is well marked and there are fresh blue blazes going down the trail. You shouldn't have a problem