PDA

View Full Version : Help with Mt Rogers hike

tenbeer
04-04-2010, 21:34
I am doing a hike tommorow from Massie's Gap in the Grayson Highlands. I would like to hike to the highest elevation of Mount Rogers. I believe you start out on the rhododendron trail and then intersect the AT and head from there to the top. Also I think there is a spur that circles to Wilburn Ridge and then back to the AT. Is this correct and how long will this hike take round trip.

Hikerhead
04-04-2010, 23:18
Get a map where you pay your entry fee. Just past the rd that turns off to the campground is a long parking area beside the road. Pull in there and you'll be looking right at a large grassy hill. Climb that, the AT is at the top. Go left(South) on the AT all the way to Mt Rogers just past the shelter. The climb up Mt Rogers is a blue blase up and back. Hiking back you'll see the sign for the Pine Mtn Trail at the major intersection of trails, if you didn't see it the first time past it. Find the trail, it's sometime hard to find with all the trails coming together there. Don't take the Gravel Rd even though they both end up at Scales. Pine Mtn trail is 2 miles long and connects to the AT, go south again on the AT when you get on it, towards Scales and Wilson Creek Shelter and then Climb back up to where you started. It's about a 10 miles loop, adding the trip to Mt Rogers will make it around 12 all together, I believe. Easily done as a day hike. Have fun, it's a nice hike. Pine Ridge trail was the AT at one time.....you can still see the white underneath the blue paint.