PDA

View Full Version : Tent site advice needed on a Presidential Traverse

moops
04-04-2010, 21:56
So here's the deal...(I'm sorry this is such a long read....)

Me and a couple buds are planning a two day traverse while there is still snow on the ground headed south to north (Rt302 - Rt2).

We're trying to plan a couple options with respect to the "overnight".

What I have so far are the following Day 1 options:
1) Hike from 302 (Crawford) to the Jefferson area (12+miles) and find a suitable site...this is a rather long day with the last 5+ very exposed.

2) Hike from 302 to before LOC and set up some where in that area leaving the long day for Sunday....

We are planning to get a very early Saturday AM start and get up to LOC area with enough time to make a Jefferson "go /no go" decision...fitness, weather, daylight....

So here's where I need help.

Have any of you all camped in the areas I'm thinking about in the winter (South of LOC on Crawford or around Jeff)?
If so would you mind sharing some location/advice about this plan....

Based upon our collective experiences (plenty of winters in the whites and out west), we've got our gear needs addressed, (crampons, ice axe, clothing...) we have our route and contingencies...bail points and stuff some what determined...although I'm always open to receive some good advice from those who have done this route.

I'm just laboring over the "camping"

Please help...I don't want to spend the night tied to a tree or standing up....

Moops

white_russian
04-04-2010, 22:25
Have you considered the Randolf Mountain Club huts and shelters? I have never used them, but have heard very good things about them.

moops
04-05-2010, 08:41
WR, these do look nice...unfortunatly for this trip they are too far north...I will absolutely keep them in mind for the future....

Thanks!

TJ aka Teej
04-05-2010, 11:13
An excellent resource to find recent snowy trip reports for the area you're heading to:
http://www.viewsfromthetop.com
Still wicked snowy up there:
http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/cam/presidentials/

moops
04-05-2010, 11:19
Snowier & icier the better...beats scrambling over rocks and boulders. Makes the trails nice and smooth. Headed up this weekend. Just hope it won't be too warm...might even be some precipt....Think snow!!!!

Thanks for the link!

Slo-go'en
04-05-2010, 14:26
You can legaly camp above tree line if there is 2 or more feet of snow under you. Though finding that above tree line is not as easy as it would seem, as the wind keeps the snow from collecting much deeper than the top of the rocks. Most of it blows off the ridge and collects in the crumb holes off to the side of the ridge.

A lot of bear rock is starting to be visable on the sides of Madison and Adams which I can see from here. The gullies and other places the snow tends to collect still have pleanty of snow in them and I imagine up around tree line it is still pleanty deep.

white_russian
04-05-2010, 14:53
You can legaly camp above tree line if there is 2 or more feet of snow under you. Though finding that above tree line is not as easy as it would seem, as the wind keeps the snow from collecting much deeper than the top of the rocks. Most of it blows off the ridge and collects in the crumb holes off to the side of the ridge.

A lot of bear rock is starting to be visable on the sides of Madison and Adams which I can see from here. The gullies and other places the snow tends to collect still have pleanty of snow in them and I imagine up around tree line it is still pleanty deep.
That is what I was thinking as well. I have not been up to the Whites at this part of the year so have no experience with it.. I don't know how often the forest rangers are out in the spring, but in the summer I have met them while hiking at dusk and they were out looking for illegal campers.

moops
04-05-2010, 14:56
Camping above tree line has yet to be considered...not looking forward to the jet engine wind/ wind-noise and flapping tent parts....

Might be able to stomp out a level pad in the snow just below the trees...we'll see....
that is if nobody has a "secret" spot they are interested in sharing...

The other option is to just suck it up push to Sphinx Col area....got some good Intel for that area...

If any of you are up in the area next weekend and see a guy tied to a tree...stop by and introduce yourself....:-?

Thanks!

Slo-go'en
04-05-2010, 17:09
Oh yeah, be prepaired to do some serious post holeing. Hard to say how well packed down that section trail got this winter and if it hasn't been, you'll be sinking into it!

I think your best bet for a camp site would be to go to Lake of the clouds and set up on the lea side of the building - use it for a wind break. It will likely take all day to get there and I don't think you'll want to go any farther. The problem with trying to drop off the ridge anywhere along there to camp is your right into the scrub brush and you'll likely sink down in to a hole between trees up to you nose. And have a heck of time climbing back out. To say nothing about how steep it is along there.

You don't want to camp in a col, as they tend to act like a wind tunnel. I've been knocked to my knees by the wind going around the corner into Edmands col more than once.
Good luck!

Looks like the weather is about to change, wonder if rain is coming?

moops
04-05-2010, 19:20
I like the idea of setting up in the LOC Hut lea....will I get hasseled by "the Man" if I set up here? Can I do this officially???
If so, I'm all over it...

Postholes...yeah, was expecting that...hopefully the snowshoes will provide enough float....

I was up for a few "out and backs" and typically, the trails were surprisingly packed...but I'm not counting on it.

There's gonna be precipt...just don't know for sure what form it'll be in...either way I'm going and I'm ready for it.......

Panchito
04-05-2010, 19:58
Moops, I'm glad to see you made your way over here, seems to be working out. Above tree line might be nice, sunrise might make the tent flapping worth it. As for stealth sites out that way they might be tough to find. Might be headed up that way this weekend myself. Welcome

Panchito
04-05-2010, 19:59
Oh and yes you probably will get hassled

Slo-go'en
04-05-2010, 20:05
Oh and yes you probably will get hassled

Not this time of year - no one official will be about unless they have to reascue your butt.

moops
04-05-2010, 20:15
Won't be any rescues...I'll be on my best behavior....as Ed Viesturs says..."getting home is mandatory"...

I'm digging the LOC plan...to catch a sunrise from the roof would be most excellent...providing Ma-Nature is on my side this weekend. However, NOAA is trying to harsh my mellow...

It'll still beat any day at the J.O.B....;)

Panchito
04-05-2010, 20:18
Not this time of year - no one official will be about unless they have to reascue your butt.
Nice so your styling. Hope the weather cooperates I'm sure your aware how quickly it changes up there. Enjoy send me a PM about the trip

moops
04-05-2010, 20:27
Will do....

Thanks for the hook up on the Whiteblaze.net. I'm digging the crew.

The Old Fhart
04-05-2010, 22:17
Because it is legal to camp above treeline (if you make sure there is enough snow) you certainly wouldn’t be hassled even if there was someone to check on you, which there won’t be. However that doesn’t mean that is necessarily a wise thing to do. Most of the snow above treeline is windblown and boilerplate (icy) but there will be spots where there are drifts that are hard packed and maybe some lower spots that are getting soft during the day. You’ll need snowshoes below treeline and you’ll probably have to put them on and take them off several times then switch to crampons above treeline. As others have said, going could be slow.

In the winter there is some protection just south and just north of Mt. Eisenhower as well as at Lakes and I doubt you would want to go further the first day. From Mt Washington south the escape routes would be Edmonds Path and Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail. Although these trails are on the west side of the ridge which is where most wind and storms come from, they get you down quickly. Going east off the ridge puts you into the Dry River drainage and almost every year there are hikers who try this and generally don’t get out for days.

There is no place to stay on the summit of Washington and there are State Park and Observatory personnel who will take a dim view if you try to camp there. The best escape route from there would be down Lion’s Head to Pinkham Notch with Hermit Lake shelters and help part way down. The Auto Road is almost twice as long and has some very exposed and windy spots. You could camp near Sphinx Col but keep in mind that that it can feel like a wind tunnel if there is any wind and there isn’t any good escape route if a storm comes up while you’re there. Edmonds Col on the north side of Jefferson is known to be extremely windy and there are no good escape routes in the area. I would caution you about considering any escape route to the east from Mt. Washington north. If you read the thread about the rescue of the Eagle Scout who tried that route this time of year you’ll see why. Trying to go into the Great Gulf almost cost him his life (and a hefty bill for SAR). Once you get near Mt. Adams there is Gray Knob that is manned and winterized if you need to get out of weather. You could camp near Madison Springs Hut which is close to treeline and the protected Valley Way Trail down to Appalachia.

I have given you information based on how you said you want to do the hike but that isn’t how I, or most others, would do it. I would start at the north end and hike toward Crawford Notch. From Mt. Washington to Crawford Notch it is basically ‘downhill’ and it is easier to hike that section south. Your first day would be the hardest and the second easier instead of the other way round.

Obviously the weather will be a BIG factor on this trip. If you want a weather report don’t rely on a regular weather report that doesn’t cover the mountains. Check mountwashington.org (http://mountwashington.org/)or call the AMC Pinkham Notch base camp (603-466-2727) to get the forecast for the higher summits. Be prepared to not go or turn back if the weather is bad.

I would strongly suggest you Google ‘Winter Presidential Traverse’ and read some of the trip reports that you will find to get more pointers. Good luck.

Roland
04-09-2010, 18:37
~ Just hope it won't be too warm...might even be some precipt....Think snow!!!!

~

Be careful what you wish for.

I suggest you check the forecast (http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/summit_forecast.php) before you go. Saturday, wind is expected to range between 65-85 mph, with higher gusts. Hiking above treeline in a hurricane can get interesting.