PDA

View Full Version : Food Caching

Graywolf
04-04-2010, 22:02
there is a couple of trails here close to me, (Lone Star Hiking Trail, Ouachita Hiking Trail and the Ozarks Highlands Trail), these trails dont have much in the way of trail towns, except for maybe OHT which a town is still over 15 miles away..So I was thinking about food caching..

Has anyone done this and what were your technique?? The main trail I was looking at is the LSHT later this year(December) before I tackle the Grand Enchantment Trail. The LSHT has almost if none at all, services and NO Water..except for the water in the bayous and swamps,:-?.. So any ideas on how to handle this situation?? the trail, depending on what literature you follow describes the length from 97 to 115 miles long..I could carry that much food, but the caching thing might work to..

Graywolf

jnl82381
04-04-2010, 22:09
After my AT thru this summer, those are the next two on my list!

The only caching I've done has been at big bend where they have boxes for you to do it. But if i had to do it elsewhere, I'd probably want it a good distance off hte trail so no one messes with it. Keep the Cache as a waypoint in your GPS. I'd think either hang a bear bag or use a canister. Not necessarily for bears, but so that other animals don't get into it.

Graywolf
04-04-2010, 22:29
After my AT thru this summer, those are the next two on my list!

The only caching I've done has been at big bend where they have boxes for you to do it. But if i had to do it elsewhere, I'd probably want it a good distance off hte trail so no one messes with it. Keep the Cache as a waypoint in your GPS. I'd think either hang a bear bag or use a canister. Not necessarily for bears, but so that other animals don't get into it.

Hey Thanks..Big Bend is a beautiful place to hike..Just do it before it gets HOT!! I spent a few days in the Chisos. Amazing views that will blow you away..

I was thinking of burying the food..But more I think about it..10 days really isnt that much and being as flat as teh LSHT is, can do it in way less time..So may not be a prob..

Graywolf

jnl82381
04-04-2010, 22:36
Carrying 10 days of food I don't think will be a problem. Water on the other hand, you may have to cache or filter from the swamps. A good filter, possibly one with a backflow cleaning option might work well though.

If you thing the Chisos are hot, check out the Dead Horse or the Sierra Del Carmen ranges at the South East end of the park. Beautiful but bring enough water!

Graywolf
04-04-2010, 23:42
Carrying 10 days of food I don't think will be a problem. Water on the other hand, you may have to cache or filter from the swamps. A good filter, possibly one with a backflow cleaning option might work well though.

If you thing the Chisos are hot, check out the Dead Horse or the Sierra Del Carmen ranges at the South East end of the park. Beautiful but bring enough water!

Are the Sierra Del Carmons now open to hikers?? Last I hear Mexico was looking into opening an "international" park there.. I havn't heard much on that lately.. But I did hear that if you can get into the SDC that it is well worth it.. I hear it can also snow in the SDC anytime of year..But dry mostly, as you said..That would be a BLAST of a trip..

OK, I'm Planning....

Graywolf

jnl82381
04-04-2010, 23:45
They are indeed. Mexico has officially opened them up.

Graywolf
04-04-2010, 23:56
They are indeed. Mexico has officially opened them up.

WoW!!! I just looked at some sites but could not get any maps or any info..This indeed would be a spectacular hike..Those "hills" get up to 9000 feet and support a wide variety of habitats...If I could find away to cache for this, How much adventure could they hold?? Ever since I was knee high to a cactus, the SDC has always captured my imagination...

Tipi Walter
04-05-2010, 00:02
After a lot of time doing backpacking trips of varying length, I'd have to say any normal adult can stay out for around 21 days without resupply or having a food cache. If I can do it with winter gear and an 8lb tent, anyone can. On my last trip I had between 40-45lbs of food and so I went a little slow in the beginning but sped up thru the trip as my pack got lighter.

Then again, I've had several trips where I used two BearVault food caches and they came in handy to store dog food as my dog can only carry around 17 days of food at one time before he needs to be re-filled. I got the large liter BearVaults and they are pretty nice and seem to work just fine.

Graywolf
04-05-2010, 00:06
After a lot of time doing backpacking trips of varying length, I'd have to say any normal adult can stay out for around 21 days without resupply or having a food cache. If I can do it with winter gear and an 8lb tent, anyone can. On my last trip I had between 40-45lbs of food and so I went a little slow in the beginning but sped up thru the trip as my pack got lighter.

Then again, I've had several trips where I used two BearVault food caches and they came in handy to store dog food as my dog can only carry around 17 days of food at one time before he needs to be re-filled. I got the large liter BearVaults and they are pretty nice and seem to work just fine.

Hello TIPI, Yes I have done it with heavy loads..But that was when I had my 6 pound Kelty External frame..Now that I have gone light, I am not sure how heavy load the pack will withstand..I was contemplating on getting another external, just for excursions such as this..I will keep looking...

Graywolf