PDA

View Full Version : Hanging or Stowing food?

fw2008
04-04-2010, 23:09
Hi;
I've got this 2lb "bear canister" that I love for backpacking because you don't have to worry about finding just the "right" tree(s) to hang your food in.
I bought mine after just one hike in the Catskills when it took me 1/2 hour to throw up a rope and hang my food. Problem: There are too many low hanging and small branches that get in the way of throwing a rope into a larger branch, and I have a terrible throwing arm.

The can is great for short hikes when pack weight isn't such an issue, but this thing weighs about 2lbs empty, and thinking of a TH in my future, I have to find ways of reducing pack weight.

I have read that in some areas there are cables on which to hang your food, but I'm sure I won't find them in many areas.
Here in NJ, we have bear boxes at most of the shelters, due to the large bear population, and general lack of attention paid by local hikers to the problems with bears and food.

So, should I go back to hanging, and if so, are there any good tricks, or does it just take lots of practice?

Thanks

FW

Barnaclese
04-04-2010, 23:40
It might help to have two (or three) smaller food bags to try to hang than one heavy one. Plus, there's more versatility for storage when you have multiple bags. And if one bag rips or an animal gets it, then you still have food in the other bag.

The obvious downside is that, although each bag is easier to hang, you have MORE of them to deal with.

Siestita
04-05-2010, 01:12
FW -- I know how you feel. I too find it challenging to properly hang food. Tree branches are rarely placed conveniently. My aim is probably worse than yours, and my throwing arm is weaker than most people's.

Confession to the White Blaze faithful, unlike many here I am merely a 'short distance hiker', albeit one who has been at it for a while.

The trips I take are relatively short (five to sixteen days, including resupply) into environments where the extent of the "bear problem" varies. Sometimes I hike through places where black bears, although occasionally seen by locals, are scarce, and mostly not yet habituated to seeking out human's food. In those areas I just keep my food in my tent, taking my chances. I've done that repeatedly in Tennessee's 'Big South Fork National Recreation Area', thus far without mishap.

In the mid-1980s my father (trail name Grandpa Paul) successfully section hiked the entire AT (including NJ) without ever securing his food. He only saw a single bear during those 2,200 miles. It ran away from him as he hiked part of the trail in the Smokies. Bears seem to have become more of a nuisance in recent decades. Or to put it in more positive, perhaps bear-friendly terms, their numbers, range, and food supplies have been expanding.

Several years ago I bought a bear canister to use in California's Sierras. The combination of limited trees and exceptionally 'human habituated' bears makes canister use mandatory there. There may be parts of the AT where carrying a canister would also be a wise precaution for some of us to take.

In bear-intensive areas, such as the Smokies region and New Jersey, why not take along just a cord for bagging, knowing that usually you be able to use the pre-installed cables/boxes instead? The cord might come in handy if you decide to camp out between shelters in North Georgia, or if you find yourself at at a bear-frequented but cable-less shelter in North Carolina.

If there are some sections of the trail where your bear canister is likely to be especially useful, perhaps you could mail it there ahead in a bounce box. Siestita/Chris Daniel

fw2008
04-05-2010, 10:32
I'm wondering whether all bear canisters are about the same weight (for the size), or if there are different types; perhaps of different materials. Of course, the thing does need to be strong enough to allow a full sized bear to stand or stomp on it without having it break, so there would be a limit to how light a material it could be made from.

As for "bear problems". I think someone in NJ said "we don't have a bear problem; we have a people problem". I can't agree more.

FW

mtnkngxt
04-05-2010, 15:35
Bear canister is overkill for the AT.

I use one of the drysacks from walmart and 40 feet of aircore pro line.

1. Find Tree
2. Tie rock or stick or ... to end of rope
3. Throw over branch
4. PCT method hang
5. Safe food Simple and Quick.

springerfever
04-05-2010, 19:01
You really don't need a good throwing arm. Google up the PCT method of bear-hanging food and just follow the directions. Instead of throwing like a baseball, you pay out about18" of line attached to a small sack with a rock in it (small rock/maybe 6 oz). Spin it vertically and let loose....takes a little practice but remarkably easy and the whole package is super lightweight. I got my set-up from Tin-man at Anti-Gravity gear and it works like a champ...excellent quality too !! see below:

http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=TRLINE

add a small min-biner and thats all you need.

here's a video on the PCT method :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8FXRJldcpE

Blissful
04-05-2010, 20:05
I still can't throw a rock right over a limb to hang a bag. Takes me forever.

Graywolf
04-05-2010, 21:10
Bear canister is overkill for the AT.

I use one of the drysacks from walmart and 40 feet of aircore pro line.

1. Find Tree
2. Tie rock or stick or ... to end of rope
3. Throw over branch
4. PCT method hang
5. Safe food Simple and Quick.

Agreed , bear canisters are not needed on the AT..Just hang it..like you said..

But then if you want to see a bear, just stow it..They will come..

Graywolf

ChinMusic
04-05-2010, 21:17
A friend of mine thru-hiked in '04 with a Bearikade (Weekender) just so he didn't have to mess with hanging food. The can also acted as a stool while camping. He just accepted the 31 oz weight. He figured the weight was worth the hassle.

I don't recall anyone else hiking with one but I'm sure it's been done.

I wouldn't use one on the AT.

SGT Rock
04-05-2010, 21:26
Hung mine for a few months off the end of my hammock. I never lost my food or had anything chew into my food bag.