PDA

View Full Version : Ozarks or where else? Suggest a 3 day hike in May close to Dallas

unclemjm
04-05-2010, 10:08
What would anyone suggest for a group hike of 25-30 miles in Mid - May?

I am taking a group of college age hikers on their second backpacking outing. (I think that means we are more comfortable about what to expect but still learning), right after the end of the semester.

Our target is one day of driving from Dallas. We are actually closer to Houston but Dallas gives a good point of reference.

They want to see trees, waterfalls, rivers/streams, and mountains of some level.

We plan on a 3 day hike and are open to a loop or straight hike.

I loved the Buffalo River area when I was there recently as well as the Ozark Highland Trail from the mile or so I have seen of it.

Ouchita's are something to consider as well. I hear good things about Eagle Rock Loop but understand that tick season will be in full swing. (Not a deal buster but something to consider.)

With a good drive we could get further north into Missouri which for me is uncharted territory.

I appreciate any ideas.

d.o.c
04-05-2010, 10:14
i Havent been to the Ozarks but im goin last day of may and first week ofjune gonna hike the ozark highlands trail to wakarusa.. ive seen some pictures and it holds waterfalls views and alot of stream crossings. sounds like what ur lookn for and waka is perfect for college kids. but idnt realy kno anything about the area other than where im startn and finishing.

holyphenol
04-05-2010, 12:05
Well, if it's any consolation I already picked up some ticks by March - had a bit of a warm spell for a second...

The BRT is always an excellent option, and even though it's a little longer, you could leave off the last section as I think it's offers the least scenery.
Then there is the choose your own adventure option-> http://www.poncawilderness.com/
This map is sorta the holy grail for the Ponca Wilderness Area, a beautiful tract of land along the northern banks of the Buffalo from Ponca to Camp Orr...
For the ten bucks, you could buy it and route out your own trek to include a ton of the great shots like Hemmed-in and Diamond Falls, the Goat Trail, a few Buffalo River overlooks/fords, and maybe even Indian Creek and Triple Falls. Sometimes I actually use this map to kick out a section of the BRT and loop back along a different track to my original location!

As for the ERL, I don't get down to the Ouachitas much, but it would be a little closer and it fits into your mileage(26 and some change). I've heard some good things about it!

The Solemates
04-05-2010, 12:25
I'd do Eagle Rock loop over the OHT during May, as this trail is more well kempt than the OHT for the most part, and hiking the OHT during May is asking for bugs.

stephen
04-05-2010, 14:40
I live in Austin. We often go to Big Bend National Park. The Outer Mountain Loop is a thirty mile hike that is fairly tough. It is a one day drive and you can camp in the basin at 5000+ feet. Amazing terrain, beautiful trees, creeks and great sunsets. You will thoroughly enjoy!

Graywolf
04-05-2010, 20:21
I live in Austin. We often go to Big Bend National Park. The Outer Mountain Loop is a thirty mile hike that is fairly tough. It is a one day drive and you can camp in the basin at 5000+ feet. Amazing terrain, beautiful trees, creeks and great sunsets. You will thoroughly enjoy!

Shhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Don't give away our secret!!!

Actually, Big Bend is the least place you want to go.. ugly, dirty, I mean dust, dust everywhere..If you play in the sand hill in Boquillas Canyon, YOU WIll GET Sand in your shoes..The river is green, who likes green water?? The sky is a sapphire blue during the day..You will hate that.. Have you ever eaten blue cheese?? YUCK!! Blue is never good..And at night, the sky looks like millions of sparkly diamonds on a satin black cloth..Now thats a rip.And you can't even take the diamonds home with you..What a jyp... Stay away from the Big Bend area at ALL COST!!! It just aint worth it..Not at all...

Than again, if you believe I have ocean front propety in Arizona, then, well, you know...:D:D

unclemjm
04-05-2010, 20:31
Great responses! Keep em coming. :)

Erin
04-05-2010, 21:41
It will be ticky in May, but it is ticky in March. I repreat all what all said above about the Ozark Highland Trail and Buffalo River area. Good waterfalls on the OHT Section from White Rock Mountian to Cherry Bend. that is an 18.9 mile section, but just check to add on another section. This was my first section on the OHT and I loved it.The best guide book is by Tim Ernst and I believe he has a website, but I don't have it handy.
I live in SW MO and while we have some good hiking, it is a drive for you (and alot of back roads when you get up here..add three hours) and not the dramatic beauty of the Arkansas hills, the Whites or the Bostons. Not to knock our hiking, but Arkansas was surpising to me when I first went down there to hike. Incredible.
I saw Soulmate's post on the Ouchita Eagle trail loop and it looks great too but I have never done it. At least in May it is not usually Dallas hot here. Hot but still bearable at night.

SGT Rock
04-05-2010, 21:42
I vote Eagle Rock Loop too. Love it.

Graywolf
04-06-2010, 01:46
It will be ticky in May, but it is ticky in March. I repreat all what all said above about the Ozark Highland Trail and Buffalo River area. Good waterfalls on the OHT Section from White Rock Mountian to Cherry Bend. that is an 18.9 mile section, but just check to add on another section. This was my first section on the OHT and I loved it.The best guide book is by Tim Ernst and I believe he has a website, but I don't have it handy.
I live in SW MO and while we have some good hiking, it is a drive for you (and alot of back roads when you get up here..add three hours) and not the dramatic beauty of the Arkansas hills, the Whites or the Bostons. Not to knock our hiking, but Arkansas was surpising to me when I first went down there to hike. Incredible.
I saw Soulmate's post on the Ouchita Eagle trail loop and it looks great too but I have never done it. At least in May it is not usually Dallas hot here. Hot but still bearable at night.

I have to say, that I have done parts of the OHT and canoed/kayak all of the Buffalo river..Both are great trips and if you can get both in at the same time, double the pleasure..You won't regret it.

Even though the Ozarks can get hot, there is usually plenty of water to paly around in and waterfalls to take in..It really is a beautifull trail..

Graywolf

holyphenol
04-06-2010, 07:00
the Ouachitas can get just a tad sketchy on finding water in the latter summer months, but I've never had a problem around the Bostons

Oklahoma 98
04-06-2010, 21:54
Did Eagle Rock loop two weeks ago.Beautiful! Easy access ,
plenty of water and a few good ups and downs. Check water levels before you go. The Little Missouri river can be dangerous.

unclemjm
04-06-2010, 23:08
Did Eagle Rock loop two weeks ago.Beautiful! Easy access ,
plenty of water and a few good ups and downs. Check water levels before you go. The Little Missouri river can be dangerous.

This may be too elementary a question, but what do you mean by "Check water levels..."? Are there recorded levels one can find or are you simply referring to look at it when we get there?

The Will
04-06-2010, 23:49
According to the NPS website, the average temperature in Big Bend for the month of May is 88/daytime and 59/night. They claim the Chisos mountains, which approach 8,000 ft, are 5-10 degrees cooler (but if the rule is 5 degrees difference for every 1000 ft gained than you would extend that difference to 15 degrees). The whole "it's a dry heat" thing may come into play. I just spent a weekend in Death Valley and the car thermometer read 87 and when I stepped out it really wasn't uncomfortable in the least--certainly very different than any 87 degrees you are used to in Houston or that I am familiar with in Oklahoma. All that is subjective though.

The connection of trails that make up the "outer mountain loop" that was mentioned above would fit your mileage criteria. If you staged it right and your group consisted of strong hikers you would only have to spend a single night down low and that could be by a reliable water source (Fresno Creek). Alternatively, you could have a three day/two night trip of easy hiking and stay up in the Chisos Mountains. A nice side trip would be to attend a "star party" at the McDonald Observatory in Ft. Davis.

If you were at all interested in having a base-camp and doing day hikes then the Wichita Mountains Nat'l Wildlife Refuge is worthy of consideration.

Oklahoma 98
04-07-2010, 00:03
Call the Ranger. (870)356-4186. I called before my hike. If you start at Albert Pike rec. area where I started, you will drive over it and can get a good look at it.
It was low (knee deep) and easy crossing when I started but it rained the 2nd night and the river came up fast (waist deep and swift). There are a lot of river and creek crossing on this loop.

unclemjm
04-07-2010, 00:35
Let's see now, Ozark Highlands Trail, Ponca Wilderness, Eagle Rock Loop, Big Bend, Buffalo River Trail...

... looks like I better plan more than one or four trips. :)

unclemjm
04-07-2010, 00:36
Call the Ranger. (870)356-4186. I called before my hike. If you start at Albert Pike rec. area where I started, you will drive over it and can get a good look at it.
It was low (knee deep) and easy crossing when I started but it rained the 2nd night and the river came up fast (waist deep and swift). There are a lot of river and creek crossing on this loop.

Great info - thanks a bunch.

The Will
04-07-2010, 00:42
I neglected to add the location of the Wichita Mtns Nat'l Wildlife Refuge-- southwestern Oklahoma.

The Solemates
04-07-2010, 09:37
Let's see now, Ozark Highlands Trail, Ponca Wilderness, Eagle Rock Loop, Big Bend, Buffalo River Trail...

... looks like I better plan more than one or four trips. :)

since people are suggesting big bend you might as well add guadalupe national park to the mix - its not any further of a drive compared to big bend, and very scenic.