PDA

View Full Version : AT Podcasts few and far between

Jeff
04-05-2010, 12:45
There have been a couple of folks who have attempted to produce podcasts primarily directed at AT hikers. Redcake did a terrific job but stopped after about a year. Then Toothless was going strong only to really cut back.

It must certainly be a time consuming job but there is a good size audience that would love to hear more.

trippclark
04-05-2010, 15:09
I have enjoyed both of these. I have no idea how large the audience is.

10-K
04-05-2010, 15:15
I imagine it's a lot of work and very time consuming.

Don't know how often they were releasing new talks but 1 a month might be sustainable, provided you know enough people to keep it interesting.

Lellers
04-05-2010, 18:20
I was fortunate to hike with Toothless back in October, and he recorded several podcasts on the trail, which have yet to be uploaded. I hope he does get around to it eventually. They were pretty good interviews with southbounders and section hikers we met in SNP. I'm glad I got to see the show live!

Southeastern Backpackers has some AT episodes posted, as well. Rylan recently interviewed the manager of Ironmaster's Mansion via Skype. The interview was recorded before the hostel's closing was announced, but it's still an interesting program.

Lumberjack2003
04-05-2010, 18:21
It is hiking related but not AT, check out Hike Yeah.

Great White
04-06-2010, 01:34
I too enjoy ATHiking by Toothless. In fact, his show started me back into serious hiking and camping. My impression of podcasting is that it starts out fun but ends up being too much work. Most people only have a small set of topics to talk about and when that set is exhausted the podcast seems to fade away. Unless you can find a way to make money from the show and turn it into a business.

Lellers
04-06-2010, 07:53
Yes, it really is a lot of work, especially when you're doing interviews. If you have a busy life, it's hard to find the time to sit with hours of recorded raw interview and edit. If you do it as a hobby rather than as a money-maker, all that work will naturally be pushed aside when life and the real job demand attention. I miss Toothless' podcast, as well. I hope he finds time to put a few out there, if only occasionally.

Digger'02
04-06-2010, 13:22
try this

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.5012145/k.8F1B/Trail_Podcasts.htm

Spot In The Sky
04-06-2010, 14:01
Podcasting is a lot of work! I have my own, which Ill spare you the plug, unless you are in the hotel industry and want to hear more- but it does take a while and I cut back too after year-ish. I was spending about 20 hours a week on each episode of mine for research, recording, editing, and uploading to various sources.