PDA

View Full Version : Iron Mansion Hostel closing

DavidNH
04-05-2010, 14:04
I just read on the other AT hiker forum that the Iron Mansion Hostel in Pine Grove State Park PA is closing.

Kinda sucks in my view. This was a fine and inexpensive hostel close to the actual half way point of the trail and right next to the store where you buy the ice cream for the half gallon challenge!

DavidNH

Bilko
04-05-2010, 14:32
David, where did you get the information? I haven't heard any mention of it closing down. Iron Mansion has had problems in the past but it would seem that now with the AT Museum opening up, there would be more business than usual. The AT Museum is opening June 5 in a mill building next to the Pine Grove General Store, home of the Half Gallon Club, and very close to the Ironmasters Hostel.

Beautiful little area with the pond, campsites, general store, hostel, etc. I did the ice cream sandwich challenge. The half gallon was way too much for me.

Tuckahoe
04-05-2010, 14:43
There have been a number of thread here on the closeing of the hostel. From what I have read the main issue is the current operators can not afford to carry out necessary repairs and restortation work and the state is looking for another operator.

ETA -- here is a link to an article that was posted in another thread -- http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/127034252296560.xml&coll=1

Bilko
04-05-2010, 17:52
Tuckahoe64, thanks for the article. Iron Mansion was an International Hostel.
People that run Hostels, are doing it for the love of others. Hostels just don't make a lot of money. A big THANK YOU to all those hostel owners along the trail. It would be a different trip without you.

Tuckahoe
04-05-2010, 18:38
Its ashame that I never got to stay there and get to know the place as a hiker. I know of Pine Grove because of my interest in the history of iron making and as a blacksmith. Also passed it often when taking Rt233 to Newville for WW1 events. I guess the lesson here is not to keep putting things off.

On another note I realize that hostels dont make a lot of money in the first place. An 1820s structure must be an awesome burden to such organizations

Mother Natures Son
04-05-2010, 19:55
Is anyone planning to visit Iron Master's hostel before it closes on the 30th of this month? I've been a volunteer there for almost 20+ years. It will be a very sad day when they close the doors for good.