PDA

View Full Version : 5-6 day hike in GSMNP

Gearhead
04-05-2010, 17:16
Ok, I've been planning a 5-6 day trip in GSMNP. We're in average condition for our ages (mid 40s).

Anybody have thoughts/comments on the following ?? Good, bad, etc ?? Too Strenuous, too easy ?? Water sources ??

Day 1 - Rabbit Creek Trail to Camp 15
Day 2 - Rabbit Creek Trail to Hannah Mtn Trail To Gregory Bald Trail to Camp 13
Day 3 - Wolf Ridge Trail to Camp 95
Day 4 - Wolf Ridge Trail to either Twenty Mile Loop trail or Twenty Mile trail to Long Hungry Ridge Trail to Camp 92
Day 5 - Long Hungry Ridge Trail to Gregory Ridge Trail to Camp 12
Day 6 - Gregory Ridge Trail to Forge Creek Rd

thanks !!

Ox97GaMe
04-05-2010, 18:53
The distance wont be too bad. It is a long, dry stretch up Hannah Mtn Trail.

When are you going? In mid June, the Azaleas will be in bloom on Gregory Bald, and it is one of my favorite places in the park that time of year. Camp #13 fills fast, so make sure you get your reservation in as early as possible (can apply 30 days prior to trip).

Be aware that Cades Cove is CLOSED until April 25th while they repave the loop road. This may be an issue if you are thinking about starting at Abrams Ranger station and finishing in the Cove.

Also be aware that there will be a couple of creek crossings on this trip that could be interesting if you get a lot of rain before or during your trip. The National Geographic map of the park lists these crossings specifically. I would suggest you get that map if you havent already.

Shoot me a PM if you have any further questions about hiking in the park.

Gearhead
04-06-2010, 13:04
The distance wont be too bad. It is a long, dry stretch up Hannah Mtn Trail.

When are you going? In mid June, the Azaleas will be in bloom on Gregory Bald, and it is one of my favorite places in the park that time of year. Camp #13 fills fast, so make sure you get your reservation in as early as possible (can apply 30 days prior to trip).

Also be aware that there will be a couple of creek crossings on this trip that could be interesting if you get a lot of rain before or during your trip. The National Geographic map of the park lists these crossings specifically. I would suggest you get that map if you havent already.

Shoot me a PM if you have any further questions about hiking in the park.

We're going May 15th-May 21st. Probably a little too early for the Azaleas, unfortunately.
I've got the Nat Geo map, so we should be all set on that.

Is there a water source at #13 ?? I really couldn't determine if there was or not...

Thanks !!

SGT Rock
04-06-2010, 13:14
There is a site a little bit downhill from 13 on the Gregory Bald trail. Watch the water as there was a lot of horse crap last time I was there.

If you don't already have this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Smokies-Mountains-Natural-History-Association/dp/0937207152

You may want to look at getting a copy. It probably has the most detailed descriptions of all the trails in the Smokies.

aaronthebugbuffet
04-06-2010, 21:08
#13 used to be a nice site but the last time I was there it had become way overused. I gathered about 30lbs of trash.
Usually bear activity too, it was closed for a time last year I think.