PDA

View Full Version : Your choice double wall free standing solo tent

STICK
04-05-2010, 17:43
~ Double wall
~ Free standing
~ Solo shelter
~ </= 86" long

What tent would you choose that fit these (and only these) descriptions for an AT thru hike? And why?

STICK
04-05-2010, 17:47
I meant to post this in the general gear section. Sorry. But since it's here Ill just leave it, I guess......unless someone wants to move it.

FamilyGuy
04-06-2010, 00:39
The MSR Hubba meets your criteria. I like the side entry, the robust floor, rain proof entry, excellent height, and long-term durability.

Jim Adams
04-06-2010, 09:28
The Hubba, why...because it works.

geek

makoboy
04-06-2010, 10:30
Big Agnes Seedhouse or Fly Creek. I just got the Fly Creek and the 2P version is less than 2 1/2 lbs.

IceAge
04-06-2010, 13:30
Moved it - IceAge

Donnie
04-06-2010, 13:49
I would go with the Big Anges Seedhouse SL1. I have the two man and couldn't be more happy with it. I snagged mine brand new (with tags) off of ebay for $135 shipped which also made it all the more appealing.

-Donnie

Tipi Walter
04-06-2010, 14:08
Neither of the tents mentioned are free standing, both the Hubba and the Seedhouse require stakes to pull out the vestibules. There are certain kind of tents that are "truly" free-standing, the low-quality and the high quality.

In the low quality I would put the below Coleman with the flysheet attached to the four corner tent pole ends. What makes such a tent low quality? Cuz there's no door protection from horizontal rain and snow in a big storm.

The high quality free standing double wall tents are few, and I can think of only some of the small Hilleberg domes like the Soulo and the Allak. Of course, Integral Designs and Bibler/Black Diamond have some free standing single walls.

What's the definition of free-standing? You can pick it up and move it with all components attached(i.e.fly)and the only pegging needed is for wind protection, and there's no vestibule and fly staking.

Rain Man
04-06-2010, 14:34
I can't tell if you want it MORE than or LESS than 86".

But for me, I'd go with an REI T1 or T2 (which I own). A great tent.

Rain:sunMan

Incahiker
04-06-2010, 14:40
I can think of one, and its great but its for 2 people. True free standing and pretty lighweight for a 2 person. Eureaka Pinnacle pass 2xta. It's high quality!!

Anyways I would suggest the Seedhouse SL1. Its big enough for me and my dog (a little bigger then a beagle) and not cramped and extremely light weight. You could say it is free standing, but you need to tie it to stakes to get the most out of it.

STICK
04-06-2010, 19:55
I'm sorry, as for length, 86" or longer.

Also, when I say freestanding I am really just referring to the actual tent body. I am not too worried about the vestibule, however of course it would be nice.

Oh yes, and light. Preferably under 3 lbs.

Thanks so far.

Franco
04-06-2010, 21:59
Not all freestanding tents have the walls at the same inward angle, so you could have an 80" long floor that has more usable space than one at 86".
By usable space I mean around 15" or more between the floor and the inner/fly.
For example I did this quick and dirty comparison between the Hilleberg Akto and Soulo. Same floor length but the Akto has about a foot more of usable space.
Franco
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/odds/Akto-Soulo.jpg

FamilyGuy
04-06-2010, 23:55
Not all freestanding tents have the walls at the same inward angle, so you could have an 80" long floor that has more usable space than one at 86".
By usable space I mean around 15" or more between the floor and the inner/fly.
For example I did this quick and dirty comparison between the Hilleberg Akto and Soulo. Same floor length but the Akto has about a foot more of usable space.
Franco
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/odds/Akto-Soulo.jpg

Franco makes a good point. I had both the Soulo and Akto set up side by side and the Akto has much more usable length. By as much as 4" on each end. Of course, the Soulo had more headroom....everywhere.

mykl
04-08-2010, 08:51
Neither of the tents mentioned are free standing, both the Hubba and the Seedhouse require stakes to pull out the vestibules. There are certain kind of tents that are "truly" free-standing, the low-quality and the high quality.

In the low quality I would put the below Coleman with the flysheet attached to the four corner tent pole ends. What makes such a tent low quality? Cuz there's no door protection from horizontal rain and snow in a big storm.

The high quality free standing double wall tents are few, and I can think of only some of the small Hilleberg domes like the Soulo and the Allak. Of course, Integral Designs and Bibler/Black Diamond have some free standing single walls.

What's the definition of free-standing? You can pick it up and move it with all components attached(i.e.fly)and the only pegging needed is for wind protection, and there's no vestibule and fly staking.

The Eureka Backcountry 1 tent can be considered a true free standing double wall solo tent. A good size too, a 96" x 36" footprint and 38" height. Weighs 3 lb 14 oz.
Of course it would be better if you could stake it down, but is totally usable if you can't/won't. But high winds can screw you.
http://www.eurekatent.com/p-44-backcountry-1-tent.aspx#

AeroGuyDC
04-08-2010, 17:05
I like my REI Chrysalis UL. You may still be able to get your hands on one in the REI Outlet, but I think after that they're gone.

AeroGuyDC
04-08-2010, 17:07
I like my REI Chrysalis UL. You may still be able to get your hands on one in the REI Outlet, but I think after that they're gone.

Sorry, just checked REI...looks like the Chrysalis is history.

FamilyGuy
04-08-2010, 21:10
Sorry, just checked REI...looks like the Chrysalis is history.

That tent is much too short - the ends slope significantly such that it is probably something like 78" long.

shoe
04-08-2010, 23:46
I'll put it in another vote for the Hubba. Never failed me yet even when I set it up in a bad spot and a rain storm came in, and I love the side entrance

mkmangold
04-09-2010, 01:16
Moved it - IceAge

Headed out soon?

The Unknown Hiker
04-16-2010, 16:21
I have carried and used the MSR Hubba on two thru-hikes. Simply flawless and very reliable. I did buy the optional ground cloth to protect the floor. It adds 6 ounces (a lot - I know) but helps with ground water and protruding objects.

There are a number of sites where it is a MAJOR assist to have a free-standing tent - at tent pads (wooden) where it is possible but difficult to setup a non-free standing tent. This can be a concern at the tenting sites in the White Mountains.

You can easily sit up in the Hubba. Vestibule is pretty small (pretty small to consider an open cooking flame) but I can still fit a pack in it.

The new Hubbas are made with lighter material - thus a lighter tent. No experience with them. Hopefully they are as durable.

Note: even though the Hubba is free-standing, you probably will want to bring at least two stakes because the sides need to be pulled and staked or tied away from the tent for vestibule space and air space.

Hikingsasquatch
04-16-2010, 22:39
Just seam sealed my new Eureka Backcountry 1. 96" long, 3 pounds 14 ounces, freestanding, roomy with good ventilation, and easy to set up. I'll be taking it out on the AT in TN mid May for a real test. After my comparison shopping, this one stood out to me as the best value for the features in your range. Sports Authority caries Eureka and may have one for display.