PDA

View Full Version : cheaper packs ok?

lishreenders
04-05-2010, 17:43
Hello! I have just read many of these pack posts. I have used a Gregory Palisades for a long time, and am needing to find something lighter! I would love to try a ULA pack, but they are pricey! I was looking at some of the REI packs, just to get a sense of the cu. in. sizes, and they are still pretty light and a lot cheaper. With a coupon, I could get a great deal.

I don't usually try to buy mainstream gear, but the price is great. Anyone use REI packs? Or any of their "ultralight" packs? Thanks!

trailangelbronco
04-05-2010, 19:55
The REI Flash 65 is great pack. The top comes off and can be used as a day pack.

skinewmexico
04-05-2010, 20:41
I don't regret selling my REI UL60 to fund a ULA. Saved over a pound, carries better, made in the USA.

Feral Bill
04-06-2010, 00:21
If the pack fits, wear it. With the REI, a return is easy if it doesn't suit you.

Cool AT Breeze
04-06-2010, 00:24
ULA packs don't cost as much as Gregory packs.

amac
04-06-2010, 06:15
Take a look at:
Z Packs
GoLite
Gossamer Gear

Hooch
04-06-2010, 07:31
I don't regret selling my REI UL60 to fund a ULA. Saved over a pound, carries better, made in the USA.I had an REI Cruise 60, the predecessor to the Flash 65, and sold it to help fund my ULA Catalyst as well. It was a decent pack, but I don't regret selling it not even one little bit.

Two Speed
04-06-2010, 07:33
Hello! I have just read many of these pack posts . . Anyone use REI packs? Or any of their "ultralight" packs? Thanks!A lot depends on your budget. If you can afford something spiffy, by all means go for it. If not find something that works for you and get out on the trail.

lishreenders
04-06-2010, 07:35
ULA packs don't cost as much as Gregory packs.

I agree! I bought that one on a pro-deal while leading trips. Now that I don't have to carry so much gear (not leading trips), I can't wait to go smaller. By the way, I have a 4800 cu. in. Gregory to sell...:)

white_russian
04-06-2010, 09:28
I wouldn't consider REI packs to be cheap. They are not top of the line, but they not bottom of the barrel either. What you want to stay away from is the Walmart packs. REI doesn't make junk, it may not be superuberlight like some folks want, but their products very workable and carry the best warranty out there.

LimpsAlong
04-06-2010, 11:03
You can find GG Vapor Trails and Nimbus Ozones on EBay for $90-$125 NEW! They are older models that don't have the straps thru the side pockets but thats an easy fix and you can't beat the price.

JRiker
04-08-2010, 08:12
if you get super lucky you might find someone to sell you their ULA here online. i got a conduit here for 75 that i really love...

Spokes
04-08-2010, 09:04
Yep, it's confusing especially when you hear of trail legends like Grandma Gatewood who carried all her stuff in a homemade bag darped over one shoulder. Extreme yes. But you don't sound like the Grandma Gatewood type......

That said, I didn't see any REI packs on the trail last year....... or hikers with homemade bags draped over one shoulder.

woodstock64
10-23-2010, 12:15
I've got the REI Flash 65 and really like it. Is it the best or lightest pack out there? No. But for the price point I don't think you'll find a better pack. Plus as has been stated earlier, you can return the pack to REI for a FULL refund no questions asked, if you decide you don't like the pack after using it.

Moose2001
10-23-2010, 12:34
Is it cheaper to buy that "cheap" pack.....find out it doesn't work....and then buy a second pack? You're wearing that pack every day, 8-12 hours a day. The two things that have to fit and fit well are your pack and your boots. Don't skimp on either.

Bags4266
10-23-2010, 12:52
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23780

Better hurry!

Driver8
10-24-2010, 01:17
Any one here think Ospreys, which I hear are very nice, are worth the price differential over a North Face or REI pack?

skinewmexico
10-24-2010, 10:21
Any one here think Ospreys, which I hear are very nice, are worth the price differential over a North Face or REI pack?

No. They're all made in some 3rd world sweat factory. And while North Face is the place to go if you're in Junior High and looking for a fleece jacket, I'd be a little nervous about a lot of their other gear.

northernstorm
10-24-2010, 10:48
it all comes down to personal preference. different people are rougher on their gear than others. however, my experiences with cheaper packs are disastrous. stay away, *ahem* STAY AWAY from the outdoor products company. dont get that confused with outdoor research (OR), they make great stuff. outdoor products is about as cheap as it gets and they fall apart fast. sorry i dont know much about ULA packs, but i do know to stay away from cheap gear. that i can help you with.

skinewmexico
10-24-2010, 12:12
Guy on BPL has a pretty good deal on some used packs right now.

CivilAir Rugger
02-26-2011, 10:58
No. They're all made in some 3rd world sweat factory. And while North Face is the place to go if you're in Junior High and looking for a fleece jacket, I'd be a little nervous about a lot of their other gear.

I was actually thinking about an Osprey myself. Would a Deuter or a Gregory be better??

skinewmexico
02-26-2011, 15:09
Zombie thread comes back to life. It depends on how you define better. I define better as lightweight, simple, and made in the USA. Some people like complicated, lots of pockets, and lots of straps. Grandma Gatewood liked a sack over her shoulder, and John Muir just filled his pockets with bread. They all work. How they fit you, and the price you can pay, are the key. The most expensive pack in the world is worthless if it hurts your back with 20#, after 1/2 a mile.

BigHodag
02-26-2011, 16:45
What you want to stay away from is the Walmart packs.

I don't know about that. The Outdoor Products Arrowhead 8.0 (http://at-trail.blogspot.com/2010/03/hiking-backpack-outdoor-products.html) that Walmart sells is a surprisingly good little hydration pack. I used it for several weeks on the AT last year and it performed well. Met several other hikers using the same Walmart pack and they too were happy with their choices.

Its a 3100 cu in pack (http://www.outdoorproducts.com/family-camping/backpacks-family-camp/arrowhead/3/20/166), so it doesn't hold the kitchen sink, but you can carry everything you need for most of the hiking season.

Also, Outdoor Products offers a lifetime warranty on their packs (http://www.outdoorproducts.com/Warranty/lifetime-warranty-for-backpacks-bags-and-duffles-except-for-rolling-bags-and-rolling-backpacks/3).

In fact, I like the pack so well that I have bought three! We're triplicating the rest of my lightweight gear list so we'll have three complete sub 20-pound packs for friends and family to use.

kayak karl
02-26-2011, 16:48
i have an REI Mars ill sell.

jima59
02-26-2011, 17:13
I'm also reading up about packs and the light ones. How the heck do they do it. Are they any better than the pack kits Ray Jardine sells? How do they make them so light and still strong, is it basically one big sack with straps?

Wise Old Owl
02-26-2011, 22:39
http://www.golite.com/carry-gear/mens/backcountry

just enter - BSF10 - coupon code at checkout at golite.com

40 percent discount, till end of march.

GeneralLee10
02-26-2011, 22:57
Buy US made products when you can. Help out your fellow American!!!!

CivilAir Rugger
02-26-2011, 23:11
What's the difference between the Lites and their normal counterparts other than the weight??

Wolf - 23000
02-27-2011, 01:16
One of the best packs I own cost me $25 bucks. An REI Flash UL. I have a little over 700 miles out of right now and still love it. It is not the lightest pack on the market, after trim 7 oz but it is not bad.

Wise Old Owl
02-27-2011, 09:22
What's the difference between the Lites and their normal counterparts other than the weight??

About a pound, Thin rip stop panels instead of thick poly canvas.