PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for a Rocky Mountain National Park backpacking trip

Hikes with a stick
04-05-2010, 18:58
My wife and I are planning a visit to Rocky Mountain National Park for early August. We are looking for a 2 or 3 night backpacking trip in the park that has good views, but is not too difficult(we are in shape, but live at 500 ft).

Right now we are looking at a loop out of the north inlet trailhead, near grand lake. Will start off on the North Inlet/continental divide trail, head east and take it around to the junction of Big Meadows, where we will head south back to the North Inlet trailhead.

Has anyone done this section before, and can describe or offer any tips on it?

Thanks!

Mags
04-05-2010, 23:28
Right now we are looking at a loop out of the north inlet trailhead, near grand lake. Will start off on the North Inlet/continental divide trail, head east and take it around to the junction of Big Meadows, where we will head south back to the North Inlet trailhead.

I'm a little confused on the route you are taking. Big Meadows is almost due north of the TH you describe. Do you mean going east towards the Continental Divide itself and over Flat Top Mtn and then back West along Ptmargian Pass along the 'official' CDT. Head south to Big Meadows and back?

If so, that is indeed a nice loop. (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/Favorite-Colorado-Hikes.html#bear-lake-to-grand-lake-loop) However, it is high altitude and you'll need to acclimate a day or two (minimum).

You'll see some other ideas on that page, too that aren't far from the Boulder/Denver area. Naturally, I know more if you have other questions. :)

Hikes with a stick
04-06-2010, 07:30
Yes, that's the loop we are considering...

Our plan is to fly to Denver on a Thursday night, spending Thursday and Friday night in Denver. Saturday night we are going to spend somewhere in Grand Lake, then hit the trail on Sunday and camp at North Inlet junction that night. So that should be going from 8500 to 9600. Do you think that is enough time for the average person to acclimate?

Thanks!

Ox97GaMe
04-06-2010, 08:46
I really liked the Glacier Falls and Andrews Glacier out and back. It would be a couple of relatively short hiking days, but once you set up camp, you can explore the higher elevation lakes in the area if you chose. You also get some pretty nice views of the back side of Long's Peak.

Mags
04-06-2010, 08:58
Sounds like a good plan to acclimate, esp if you are in decent shape. Just hydrate and don't push it too hard. :)

Have a blast!

Hikes with a stick
04-06-2010, 20:33
I really liked the Glacier Falls and Andrews Glacier out and back. It would be a couple of relatively short hiking days, but once you set up camp, you can explore the higher elevation lakes in the area if you chose. You also get some pretty nice views of the back side of Long's Peak.

What section of the park is this in? What trailhead would I use?

Thanks!

Mags
04-06-2010, 20:56
What section of the park is this in? What trailhead would I use?

Thanks!

Eastern side over by Bear Lake.

Hikes with a stick
04-06-2010, 21:17
Hey Mags, would I be able to use a stove like a pocket rocket above 9500 feet, or would I need to use a white gas stove?

Will freeze dried meals be harder to cook at that altitude?

Thanks!

Mags
04-06-2010, 23:11
Hey Mags, would I be able to use a stove like a pocket rocket above 9500 feet, or would I need to use a white gas stove?

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about. People have used alcohol stoves and canisters stoves all along the CDT.

I have never done commercial backpacking meals with anyregularity, but since you are boiling water only, I don't see why it should be an issue.

The other main advice I'd offer for hiking at altitude is bring sun protection (I like the long sleeves and wide brimmed hat combo myself. If you are of fair complexion, you'll want to wear long pants, too), you may want to wear sunglasses and be sure to hydrate!

It does get cool at night at elevation, so bring standard three season hiking clothing and equipment. I suggest 20F bag; definitely bring a warm hat, gloves and long underwear tops/bottoms along with the equivalent in warmth of 200wt fleece. A shell jacket and pants should complete the combo.

I kept the gear list on the general side; you and your wife probably have an idea of what specific three season equipment works for you. Think of what you'd bring to the Whites around Labor Day or so and you'll be fine. :)

Also note that RMNP now requires bear canisters when backpacking in all but a few spots in the park. There are stores in Grand Lake do rent them.

Any other questions? Let me know. :sun

ARambler
04-07-2010, 00:24

Thanks!

Butane stoves actually work slightly better at high altitude, the low pressure sucks out the gas. I cooked soup on several peaks in 1974, when butane was normal butane. You do have to worry about colder temperatures at high altitude, which canisters do not like, and wind which no stoves like. (Also, peiso lighters have problems, but I don't think the PR has one.)

I add a little more water to freeze dried meals, which also helps you rehydrate.

I like Andrews Glacier as a day hike, but most things from Bear Lake will be pretty busy. You might want to try Lawn Lake in the Mummy Range, Wild Basin, like Lion Lake or Thunderbird Lake.

Shutterbug
04-07-2010, 00:55

Thanks!

The only issue with cooking freeze dried meals is the fact that the boiling point of water is lower as you gain altitude. That means that once you pour the boiling water into the pouch, you should leave it a little bit longer than you would at sea level. I usually add a minute to the wait time.

Hikes with a stick
04-08-2010, 21:45
I'm thinking about making a cozy out of reflectix to keep the mountain house bag in while the meal is re-hydrating. Hopefully that will keep it hot and cook it quickly.

What about bugs? In early August will there be alot of ticks or mosquitoes at that altitude? Would a mosquito net be a good idea?

Mags
04-09-2010, 00:38
Generally speaking, the bugs are not an issue in Colorado compared to say Maine or Yosemite in June. (eek!)

By early August, you just may have a faint touch of Autumn in the night air at altitude.

The other areas mentioned by ARambler are quite nice. I've done some loops (and dayhikes) there as well.

You can make a really nice, partial off trail loop with the Twin Owls and Mummy Range area. Takes in quite a nice bit of scenery. I love this range as it is is not as used as other parts of the park.

The first attached photo is from the flank of Mummy Mtn.

Likewise, you can make a nice partial off trail loop starting from the Wild Basin area over to Lion Leake up to Chiefs Head at 13k+ and down to Sand Beach Lake.

The second attached photo is from Snowbank Lake just below Chief's Head (and past Lion Lake)

If you haven't already, I strongly urge you to purchase the Trails Illustrated Rocky Mtn. The above loops are nice, but off-trail travel ain't for everyone. :)

Hikes with a stick
04-09-2010, 07:22
Thanks for all the great tips! Not sure if I want to try off trail travel just yet... Bushwacking just isn't my thing.

Glad to hear that bugs will not be an issue. When I went to Glacier National Park a few years ago in July, the mosquitoes were so bad along the trail that we could not stop moving. When we stopped they would fly in our nose, ears, and mouth. Bug spray only worked when it was wet on the skin. Once dry, it was ineffective.

First thing I did when we decided to go there was to get that map from REI... Second thing was posting about it on here :D