PDA

View Full Version : August Smokies hike.

firehiker
04-05-2010, 19:32
I'm getting brave, and having my wife drop me off at Davenport Gap on August 1st on the way back from my sons baseball tournament in Myrtle Beach.....5 days of sunburn and bleachers, then straight to the trail! I'll hike the 40 miles(approx.) back to Clingmans Dome where my wife will pick me back up......I hope(she hasn't agreed to that part yet. She DID jump all over "dropping me off") My biggest concern is water sources. Does anyone know what the water sources are like that time of year, or is it strictly just dependent of rainfall?

springerfever
04-05-2010, 19:46
Haven't done that section in a few years, but I believe most of the shelter water sources are reliable. Hiking south from Davenport Gap is a bit challenging for the first 3-4 miles.. lots of elevation gain. If the weather is nice make sure to take the 1/2 mile side trail on the right over to Mt. Cammerer. It will make your day !

I would recommend an early start (a little cooler) for the climb out of Davenport, nice lunch break at Cammerer and then head on a few more miles to the Cosby Knob shelter. Don't forget you will need reservations for the Smokies. Use to be you called 30 days out to secure space, but you will want to check.

10-K
04-05-2010, 19:51
You'll be fine. 16 miles from Davenport Gap is Tricorner Knob shelter, just off the trail. It has a regular fire hydrant going 24/7 right in front of the shelter.

There's other water sources too but there is also a lot of ridge walking. Just pay attention and fill up whenever you get the chance and you'll do ok.

Enjoy the hike,that's a nice section but I gotta warn you, the first 15-16 miles is all uphill - it's not too bad though. :)