PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

DeeDee
04-05-2010, 20:29
:-? Was reading last night and seen where you are not suppose to sleep in the same clothes that you cook your food in. This was the first time out of all the things that I have read about the trial that I had heard this. So my question is, do most people change their clothes after cooking,and hang them up with your food bag?

Feral Bill
04-05-2010, 20:31
I have never heard first hand of anyone doing this. I don't, and I mostly camp in grizzly country.

DeeDee
04-05-2010, 20:43
Thank you. I thought that was a little overkill, but being my first time doing a hike like this just thought it was better to ask then be sorry. Thank you again.

garlic08
04-05-2010, 20:43
This is standard advice in grizzly country. But I also have never seen anyone doing this first hand, and have never done it myself. But I do make it a habit, in grizzly country at least, to do my eating a full hour or two before I stop to camp, so any odors or spills are far behind/aired out, hopefully. (I'll admit to a slight grizzly phobia.) In coastal areas, it's advised to cook below high tide line, too, but obviously that's not going to happen on the AT.

Lone Wolf
04-05-2010, 20:49
:-? Was reading last night and seen where you are not suppose to sleep in the same clothes that you cook your food in. This was the first time out of all the things that I have read about the trial that I had heard this. So my question is, do most people change their clothes after cooking,and hang them up with your food bag?

i cook and eat and sleep in the same clothes. i also sleep with my food. but that's just me

modiyooch
04-05-2010, 22:54
lw, I know that's your standard answer, but this summer after I set up camp; I was advised to leave the area because someone had just spotted a bear. It just turned dark and I had nowhere to go. Initially, I was very concerned but then my husband reminded me via cell phone how careful I am in regards to food smells in and around my tent and gear, and that I hang my food. Knowing this, I was better able to relax for the evening. I did have my boots and flashlight ready for flight, though.
The advice regarding the tide is interesting.

warraghiyagey
04-05-2010, 23:08
:-? Was reading last night and seen where you are not suppose to sleep in the same clothes that you cook your food in.
I never use my clothes for cooking. . .

Cool AT Breeze
04-05-2010, 23:39
You never wear clothes.

Feral Bill
04-06-2010, 00:14
You never wear clothes.

Doesn't wear them, doesn't cook in them. Now that's going light.

jesse
04-06-2010, 05:03
I usually change clothes for sleep, and hang my sweaty clothes inside my tarp to air out and dry. If food is spilled on your clothes might be a good idea to hang it away from the tent.

Fiddleback
04-06-2010, 11:33
This advice is common for grizzly country but, I think, not commonly followed. However, I'd never criticize anyone for safety overkill. On the other hand, grizzlys are believed to have an olfactory sense a 1000 times that of a dog...one simply cannot mask/hide/remove all scents and we cannot know what scent is going to attract a bear...because it smells good or just because the smell piques the griz's curiosity.

Still, there is some common sense in the admonition about cooking clothes just as there was some uncommon foolish behavior by two young female backpackers I saw in Denali NP. On the bus ride into the back country, these ladies were eating dried salmon and then wiping their hands on their jeans. It's that kind of behavior that spurs the need to not sleep in the clothes you cook in. I never heard any tragic stories after that trip so I guess the two survived...maybe 'cause the griz in the area thought, "Oh...those two again...":-?

God protects fools and little children...and foolish campers.

FB

DeeDee
04-06-2010, 18:29
Thank you everyone for your reply. We leave for our trip here in 12 days. Just trying to make sure I dot all the I's and cross all my T's. I am so excited and nervous.

warraghiyagey
04-06-2010, 18:54
you never wear clothes.

doesn't wear them, doesn't cook in them. Now that's going light.
:d:d . . . . . . .