PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an inexperienced hiker

joelee
04-05-2010, 22:20
My son Andrew Lee left Springer Mtn Sunday 4-4-10 AM with his friend Andrew is having equipment probs with his backpack He was last seen around mile 27 when he split from his friend and set off alone possibly off trail He is 6 ft tall with a large blond afro Please have him contact me , his father Joe Lee I'm worried about his lack of adequate water and shelter as his friend has the tent Peace Joe Lee

WalkingStick75
04-06-2010, 08:30
This is why I hike solo. I had the same experience with my hiking partner when I was 18 years old, but we did make it a few more than 27 miles. I'm sure he is fine, he can pick up a tarp in the next town for a shelter.

Ox97GaMe
04-06-2010, 08:41
if he was at mile 27, then he should be coming into Neels Gap last night or this morning. The outfitters there will be able to help him with any supplies he may need. there are several trails that come off the mountain around Blood Mountain. As long as he picks one and follows it to the bottom of the hill, he will be at a road crossing and an easy hitch to town from there.

Trailweaver
04-07-2010, 00:23
Hope you have heard from him by now. Please let us know when you hear from him and how he is doing. I'm sure he is fine - it's difficult to lose the trail in that area, and this time of the year there are a lot of hikers in the area.

joelee
04-07-2010, 07:52
It's me again Joe Lee looking for my 20 yr old son Andrew He left Springer on 4-4-10 He may have started to go off trail to prove himself He has limited water purification hardly any woods time and no maps He is 6 ft tall with a large afro My email is [email protected] I don't want to ruin his time but I'm getting more worried by the day Just have him let me know he is alright and where does he want the box of food sent Peace Joe He was last seen with his buddy at mile mark 27

Jester2000
04-07-2010, 13:44
In the world of cell phones we're used to constant contact, and a lack of that can be worrisome even if nothing's wrong (which is my way of saying that most likely nothing's wrong. If you haven't done so yet, give Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap a call -- they'll be in the best position to know his whereabouts.

d'shadow
04-07-2010, 14:03
Mountain Crossings in Neels Gap...phone: 706-745-6095

folks there will be glad to keep a look out for him, give them a call.

Mrs Baggins
04-07-2010, 19:17
Being the mom of two adult kids, I so feel your worry. People who don't have kids can easily say "He's fine. Don't worry." They have no clue of the deep worry and pain when you don't know where your kids are. It's unimaginable until it's you. I pray for your son and hope you hear good news soon!

WalkingStick75
04-07-2010, 20:59
Being the mom of two adult kids, I so feel your worry. People who don't have kids can easily say "He's fine. Don't worry." They have no clue of the deep worry and pain when you don't know where your kids are. It's unimaginable until it's you. I pray for your son and hope you hear good news soon!

Mrs Baggins, with all due respect I have two children one just exited from the military with several deployments to places much more dangerous than the Appalachian Trail. The other is a special education teacher in downtown LA school district, again much more dangerous than the Appalachian Trail. He is 20 years old and made it an entire 27 miles before he split up with his friends. I and others that say "he's fine. Don't worry." are not among the ones clueless here.

mtnkngxt
04-09-2010, 10:30
Any word on whether this guy has been seen?

WalkingStick75
04-09-2010, 11:44
Probably a troll

joelee
04-09-2010, 20:11
Yes thank you everyone Andrew returned home to Pa on thur 4-8-10 I appreciate all of your concern Can't wait to retire so I can try my thru hike Peace Joe Lee

Trailweaver
04-10-2010, 01:22
So glad he is home and safe. I hope he enjoyed at least some of his backpacking.