PDA

View Full Version : Make your own Hammock ?

Ramble~On
10-14-2004, 03:39
Anybody got any experience in making their own hammock ?
Hennessy has it down to a science and Trease ( www.trease.biz (http://www.trease.biz) ) weigh too much to be worth it.... I am thinking about trying to combine both into something ultralight....anybody ever tried it ?

SGT Rock
10-14-2004, 07:30
Speer Hammocks has a kit and the pattern all laid out so you can skip the lengthy design and fix phase of a DIY from scratch. http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm

shades of blue
10-14-2004, 07:42
I made a speer hammock. If I can do it (with my very poor sewing skills) anyone can do it! Pretty cool hammock too.

Hellbilly
10-14-2004, 09:26
If you are just wanting to try out a hammock, I would recommend checking out Risk's site http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm very simple to make, and will give you an idea if you would like to stay in a hammock.

Ramble~On
10-16-2004, 02:57
Thanks for the input...it is getting cold and looks like I've found an indoor project to keep me busy for a while.

titanium_hiker
12-20-2004, 15:38
speaking of hammock making, is there a pattern online with fly and bugnet and all so all I have to pay for is the material? I'm afraid cost is going to make me a ground sleeper...

titanium

SGT Rock
12-20-2004, 15:41
As far as I know there isn't a free pattern, Speer sells paterns and kits.

titanium_hiker
12-20-2004, 20:23
Just kidding: On risk's site he talks about how bugnet would be easy to add, all it needs is a separate fly (no biggy!).

just requires a bit of brain power.

I slept out in a ordinary backyard hammock that had an old mosquito net hung above it, a massive tarp (10 x 10) on the same line, the mosquito net was pegged to the sides. worked. I guess the same could be atempted except using more permanent zip and sewed system.

thanks

titanium

titanium_hiker
12-20-2004, 22:45
look here:
http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultraquarterweight.htm

I know what I'm doing this christmas vacation!
titanium_hiker

shades of blue
12-20-2004, 22:51
Ed Speer has a hammocking book that has some directions in it. The book also has some good advice....

titanium_hiker
12-21-2004, 21:20
here: http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm

he said he had problems with the quarter wieght

flyfisher
12-23-2004, 21:20
I'd be glad to answer any questions on making the hammocks. I presently am using the Zhammock for three seasons and the Warm Hammock for temps below 10 F.

titanium_hiker
12-23-2004, 23:41
Hey Risk/Flyfisher: what is the fabric you make your hammock out of called? I'm looking for a generic name, (hopefully something translateable into spanish ;) )
I am really pumped about the whole hammock thing, and your hammocks look like the way I can do it on the miserable budget... Great site. It is currently my most visited.

titanium

flyfisher
12-24-2004, 09:28
Hey Risk/Flyfisher: what is the fabric you make your hammock out of called? I'm looking for a generic name, (hopefully something translateable into spanish ;) )
I am really pumped about the whole hammock thing, and your hammocks look like the way I can do it on the miserable budget... Great site. It is currently my most visited.

titanium

Ripstop nylon is what I use for the lightest versions. It is a nylon fabric with a network of thicker threads every 3 or 4 mm in both thread directions. The weight I use is 1.1 oz which means that it weighs 1.1 ounces per square yard.

titanium_hiker
12-24-2004, 19:36
awesome. Thanks.

Oh... if I can't find the stuff, what else might work?
Thanks again
titanium

hungryhowie
12-24-2004, 20:01
awesome. Thanks.

Oh... if I can't find the stuff, what else might work?
Thanks again
titanium

look here:

http://www/thru-hiker.com

-or-

http://www.owfinc.com

-howie

titanium_hiker
12-25-2004, 09:24
thanks howie.
Happy Christmas!

titanium

neo
12-25-2004, 10:53
i just wish i could learn to sew.i bought a brother sewing machine from walmart almost 3 years ago,never could get it to work,any one no were i can go to sewing class:sun neo

JillJones
12-25-2004, 11:04
i just wish i could learn to sew.i bought a brother sewing machine from walmart almost 3 years ago,never could get it to work,any one no were i can go to sewing class:sun neo

There are a number of sites on the web you might find helpful.. Do a Google search on, 'Learning how to sew'.. Also, many public libraries have video's, books on how to sew as well. If you go to the library, just ask someone at the desk. They will tell you where you can find either a sewing class or group... Usually for free...

neo
12-25-2004, 12:39
i can take my jeep apart down to the last nut and bolt and put it back together
remodeled my house,now a real work of art,but it will take more than a book on sewing,i need a person to show me this one for sure,i need real life sewing teacher:sun neo

JillJones
12-25-2004, 13:40
remodeled my house,now a real work of art,but it will take more than a book on sewing,i need a person to show me this one for sure,i need real life sewing teacher:sun neo
Check your community events in your local newspaper or at the library. Look for Sewing groups. Go to one of the meeting or call one of the contact numbers.. They’ll be more then happy to find someone to teach you... And hey, you might just find a sewing princess who likes to hike as well.. :)
Good luck

neo
12-25-2004, 13:51
thanks jill:) maybe i will start trying to find me a sewing princess,thats really cute:sun neo

JillJones
12-25-2004, 14:09
thanks jill:) maybe i will start trying to find me a sewing princess,thats really cute:sun neo
No problem Neo. And I’m sure with a little charm you’ll have apple pies stacking up on your doorstep within a week.. Some of these ladies not only know how to sew, but make one mean apple pie. I got dragged to one of these meeting a few years ago with my mother, and while I have no desire to sew, there was more food there then you'll find at an all you can eat Chinese Buffet.

neo
12-26-2004, 13:31
i am one heck of a cook also,i am an old fashioned hopeful romantic,
i like hopeful better than hopless,i do not include hopeless in my vocabulary,
:sun neo

titanium_hiker
01-01-2005, 21:54
Allright! the titanium's2 hammock is being tested tonight! (the first one was too short) no sewing involved for basic structure. added insulation pocket, will need to sew fly later on....

excited. max credits go to risk, I based my hammock off the ones that he has built and is showing on his website (www.imrisk.com)

titanium_hiker (sleeping outside tonight!)

matwelli
01-03-2005, 18:35
Titanium- how did the hammock sleeping go.

I ask as I am interested in making one to try out

Cheers

Mat

titanium_hiker
01-03-2005, 21:29
totaly awesome!!
gotta go, sleeping out again tonight
more later

titanium_hiker
01-04-2005, 10:17
Ok: here's how I did it:
bought 6 metres of 'gaberdeen' (ripstop is preferable, but I couldn't find it)
9 metres of webbing 10 metres of flysheet material and 2 metres of bugneting and a roll of crafty type thin but strong string. and a roll of polyester thread.

cut the gaberdeen into a 4m and 2m piece. sew the 2m piece to the 4m piece on three sides. (put ~ 1/2 inch wideways fold in middle of pocket to avoid stretching) I left the hole for the pocket on the right side. (I'm righty)
then I folded it and added the webbing as per the testhammock (http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm)
then I added the bugnet as per the quarterwieght and zhammock
(http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultraquarterweight.htm)
the fly was a nobrainer (I have a 10ft x 12ft)
(with knots tied the hammock is 11ft)
slept outside nicely.
you know what they say about sleeping on a diagonal? believe them. especially for back sleeping. I swapped between back sleeping and curled up on my side. Very cosy and warm.

oh: I put a noname thermarest type pad in the pocket. then my shoes also in the pocket, and a bottle of water and a packet of cookies. you get the warmth, but don't feel anything below you. nice.

build one mat, try it out, it's really cheap. :) and light too... and comfortable...

titanium_hiker

matwelli
01-04-2005, 14:42
Titanium_hiker - thanks for the update and the instructs on how you did it.(need some pics)

Will definately have to try one, my last bit of camping was a 5 day canoe trip, the only problem for the whole trip was trouble sleeping properly.

Cheers

Mat

titanium_hiker
01-04-2005, 15:26
ok: pics comming soon...
stupid technical issues. and the sewing machine.. doesn't like sewing my hammock skins.

flyfisher
01-06-2005, 14:46
Titanium Hiker,

I am glad your experiments are going well.

I also appreciate the work you have been doing to fix up the Hammock Wiki. Unfortunately, it looks like the site is being spammed a lot. I may have to take it down. Any suggestions before I just kill the files?

If you like you can write me direct at:

[email protected]

titanium_hiker
01-14-2005, 21:34
ummm... risk:
is ripstop the stuff usually found on the outerside of a sleeping bag? If it is, I might be on the break through for a nice small light hammock. How tall are you? I am assuming 6 foot. I am 5'5" (hmm... not quite :) ) How long do you make your hammock and consequently your fly?

thanks.
(hammock wiki lives on!)

flyfisher
01-20-2005, 23:23
ummm... risk:
is ripstop the stuff usually found on the outerside of a sleeping bag? If it is, I might be on the break through for a nice small light hammock. How tall are you? I am assuming 6 foot. I am 5'5" (hmm... not quite :) ) How long do you make your hammock and consequently your fly?

thanks.
(hammock wiki lives on!)

Usually sleeping bags are made of nylon tafetta. It is not quite as strong as ripstop and comes in weights that are too light for hammock making.

I cut a hammock 9 feet long. The tarp is 10 feet long.

MadAussieInLondon
01-23-2005, 14:51
Im gonna make my own hammock, and Ive found a place that I can get material from but, it confuses me :) my options are;

Ripstop Nylon #NR6T
Silverised PU coated Ripstop Nylon. Ripstop has double warp and weft ripstop threads. Cloth: 150cm width. Weight: 75gms/sqm.
Price: £5.50

Ripstop Nylon #NR7
Strong PU Coated Nylon. Non breathable. Suitable for tents and shelters. Weight (gm/sq m) 115, width (cm) 150
Price: £11.85

Ripstop Nylon Coated #NR2
Coated both sides with silicone elastomer/acronyl, for tents and flysheets. Weight (gm/sq m) 62, width (cm) 138
Price: £8.95

Finely woven nylon, showerproof and wind resistant; Quick drying. Moisture wicking; Ideal for showerproof clothing for active pursuits. Weight (gm/sq m) 50, width (cm) 150
Price: £4.50

1.5oz Spinnaker Ripstop Nylon #SL15
High Strength Silicon resinated ripstop nylon
Price: £10.15

(now the #nr2 comes with the following info)
Yarn = 100% Nylon 66
Weight = 64 gms/sq m
Width=138 cm
Tear Strength=140 Warp / 140 Weft
Tensile Strength=600n Warp / 600N Weft

Im assuming I want the second one, #nr7? Im only 5'6 tall and about 120-130 pounds...

what would be the best one for me to get.. I think I have a stuffsack of spinnaker nylon and i dont think it would make a good hammock, but I remember reading that spinnaker nylon is strong stuff..?? aaaargh. I am lost.

SGT Rock
01-23-2005, 14:55
A kid over at my site made his own using a bedsheet.I suppose you could do the same with lighter synthetic material: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shanedeluca/slideshow?.dir=/15d6&.src=ph

MadAussieInLondon
01-23-2005, 15:05
A kid over at my site made his own using a bedsheet.I suppose you could do the same with lighter synthetic material: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shanedeluca/slideshow?.dir=/15d6&.src=ph

how windproof would that be?
how windproof does a hammock need to be ??
(i have never hammocked...)...

since the tarp is over the top, waterproofness is another thing so...

do you need to add some outside pockets for the little things? led headlight, pills/tablets, glasses etc? just the minor things that need to be in reach... is it easy to sow a hanging pocket onto ripstop nylon?

hmm just found some cheap ballistic nylon.. heh. might be too heavy tho?

SGT Rock
01-23-2005, 15:14
Well I wouldn't build a windproof hammock since good air flow in warm weather would be nice. IF you want to make a windproof option then you could make a weathershield sort of thing like JRB and Hennessy offer to add in when the weather warants it. Adding pockets and such would be based on what you want, I would make them mesh for lower weight and so if there were damp items placed in there they could dry easier.

Maybe 1.3 ounce rip-stop would be good for the bottom and some 1.1oz sil-nylon for the tarp. Then you could get some 0.8oz DWR for an outer shell over the hammock when you want one.

titanium_hiker
01-24-2005, 20:47
so.... my dilema is that I have access to a marvelous market of just about anything. The problem? its all in spanish. "ripstop nylon" - would be met with blank stares. However I did manage to find some water proof stuff for a tarp. What I want to know is what does ripstop nylon look like so I can look for some?

thanks.

titanium_hiker

SGT Rock
01-24-2005, 21:10
Ripstop nylon is a nylon with a grid of heavier thread insidide the weave. When you look at it you can see small boxes about 1/8" square in the material. The purpose is to give a rip something to stop on if it gets started so you can repair it before it rips the whole way, plus that extra thread increases the tear strength.

flyfisher
01-25-2005, 15:54
Im gonna make my own hammock, and Ive found a place that I can get material from but, ...

what would be the best one for me to get.. I think I have a stuffsack of spinnaker nylon and i dont think it would make a good hammock, but I remember reading that spinnaker nylon is strong stuff..?? aaaargh. I am lost.

Because of problems with condensation, I would recommend not using a PU coated nylon or silnylon. Plain old ripstop nylon or nylon tafetta or lightweight polyester would make better materials for hammocking in my limited experience.

What I would be looking for is a cloth which weighs about 60 grams per square meter.

MadAussieInLondon
01-25-2005, 16:00
Because of problems with condensation, I would recommend not using a PU coated nylon or silnylon. Plain old ripstop nylon or nylon tafetta or lightweight polyester would make better materials for hammocking in my limited experience.

What I would be looking for is a cloth which weighs about 60 grams per square meter.

condensation in a opentop hammock? Ill have a silnylon tarp over the top...

hmm I can get uncoated ripsotp but it doesnt give a weight, but 'suitable for tent inners' hmm.. anyway, I am still looking around and formalising my design.

MadAussieInLondon
01-25-2005, 16:26
actually, I think I'm gonna get some ripstop pertex#5, 69gms per sqm at 160cm width... thats what I am leaning towards currntly.

titanium_hiker
01-25-2005, 17:36
hey aussie, you want your hammock to be breathable so you don't wake up in a pool of sweat. *ah, a compatriot!*

umm... ok, so I think I have seen the ripstop nylon in the market. the squares is a big hint! ok, now what is it supposed to feel like? is it supposed to be water proof? will it be soft, or more hard? is it plyable? (not stiff?) I guess there are many different ripstopnylons out there, but what am I looking for for my hammock?

thanks flyfisher for the metric weight.

titanium_hiker
*getting there...*

SGT Rock
01-25-2005, 17:39
Ripstop nylon is not waterproof unless it is coated or impregnated with waterproof materials. You can get regular old ripstop nylon at most fabric stores. There is one in Maryville that even has a nice cammo pattern:D

I think you can get what you want in a nice soft material. Just talk to the store clerk and explain what you want. If you want to buy on-line and get exactly what you need, there is www.owareusa.com and www.thru-hiker.com which specialize in materials for the DIY hiker.

titanium_hiker
01-25-2005, 18:19
thanks SGT Rock!

yeah online buying would be nice, but is not possible at the moment.

titanium_hiker

MadAussieInLondon
01-25-2005, 19:44
ordered my materials online tonight;

Uncoated Ripstop Nylon (gold, the only colour I could get...) 5 meters
25mm Polypro webbing, Forest Green, 3 meters
Cotton tape, 4m (for the bug netting and hook attachments)
Snap Hook + Drings x2 (for bug netting attachment)
Midge Netting, 3 meters.

I had to get everything by the meter more or less, which is why I have some 'large' lengths, but then I might try and use the offcuts to make some kinda 'skin' type cylinder for storage etc like some of the commercial ones...

Ramble~On
01-26-2005, 01:20
Neo,

I did the same thing...bought a sewing machine and figured it came with instructions...problem is the instructions are written in "Female" they already know how to sew. I got fed up. I asked a bunch of females that spoke "female" to translate this stuff for me...(in otherwords..I admitted defeat) and got a coworker to come over and show me how to operate the contraption.
It really isn't all that hard..but is way easier to have someone that knows how to use a sewing machine teach you.
In time, I'll post some pics of my Hammock.
Each time I try something I get an idea half way through.... I think I might end up with a pretty cool shelter.

flyfisher
01-26-2005, 09:35
condensation in a opentop hammock? Ill have a silnylon tarp over the top...

hmm I can get uncoated ripsotp but it doesnt give a weight, but 'suitable for tent inners' hmm.. anyway, I am still looking around and formalising my design.

Bloody Cactus,

I am not talking about the condensation like occurs on the top side of tents. I am referring to what Titanium Hiker called the "pool of sweat." I have not had problems with the bottom of the hammock getting wet in rain, so I have never needed a waterproof cloth for the hammock. However, I sleep with my head against the cloth and it works better for me when that cloth is not waterproof.

I have enough moisture that collects between my back and the closed cell pad that I continue to work on hammocks which will not normally require a pad, instead having breathable insulation.

I see from the below that you have ordered your materials. Let us know how it turns out. Pictures would be great.

MadAussieInLondon
01-26-2005, 09:49
cheers flyfisher. im basing my design off your zhammock. i guess ill know more about the sweat pool once its done and tested :) hahaha

titanium_hiker
01-26-2005, 17:53
hey guys... can you give me a rough estimate of what you would spend buying all the materials new?

thanks.

titanium_hiker

MadAussieInLondon
01-27-2005, 05:56
hey th, the ripstop cost me 1.95 a meter so £10 pound for 5 meters, the webbing was 30p a meter so 90odd pence, midge netting optional :) hehehe

using PU coated stuff would have cost me from £4 pound a meter up to £12pound a meter for different versions... the uncoated was the cheapest, and it was 60gsm/sqm

titanium_hiker
01-27-2005, 06:55
hmm... what about for the tarp/fly thing?

so, 11 pound ~ 16 US$ ~ 128 Bs. ~ 24 AUS$

I think I did that for just the base and webbing for my old heavy hammock, lets see what it costs here for ripstop. :)

titanium_hiker

MadAussieInLondon
01-27-2005, 07:52
i already had a silnylon tarp from my at04 hike so.. didnt need to buy that.

titanium_hiker
01-27-2005, 22:24
Oh.

I'm just trying to see what the materials cost in other places, its hard to know what you are paying sometimes with the currency stuff.

titanium_hiker

BeaverTrapper
01-28-2005, 01:06
Titanium Hiker:

I see you are in Bolivia. I spent a lot of time between SantaCruz and Corumba, Brazil a few years ago. Made a lot of friends down there. What a great place. I had a wool hammock that had a 'top blanket' or flap sewn onto one side. It was heavy and bulky, but simple and warm. That was what got me started in hammocking. First time I had ever walked into a house and seen people sleeping in hammocks inside. That was a great idea. A wool cocoon. It was only surpassed by fresh chicha! :)

titanium_hiker
01-28-2005, 17:14
yeah... that's the area at the moment that has the biggest political problems at the moment. (shock, I know. )

they don't seem to use the hammocks much in the valles. must be more in the oriente and the jungle/lowland areas.

And yes, I think you can get ripstop here. yay!! :)

titanium_hiker

MadAussieInLondon
01-29-2005, 05:34
hey titanium, you were asking about what the ripstop nylon looked like, I put a pic on my weblog.

http://mega-tokyo.com/blog/more.php?id=333_0_1_0_M

titanium_hiker
01-29-2005, 10:34
THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU

ok, so I know that I want the grid thing, soft, and non-waterproof. Shopping today!

thanks bloody cactus.

titanum_hiker

MadAussieInLondon
01-29-2005, 11:08
ok, so things learnt today...

I cut my material. Ripstop nylon looks tougher than I thought, but I am still going with a double layer for my first hammock attempt.

ripstop nylon is very thin and slippery, very finnickey to play with.

150cm width is BIG! I mean wide.. I can wrap it around my self completely (hey I am a small fella...).. So I chopped 20cm down the length to use as my skin tube which still leaves me with 130cm wide, far more than enough width Im thinking...

I have 2x250cm lengths, and I stand about 168cm.. So I need to work out if I should shorten the length to about 230 (30cm each end + 168.. == 228)..

whats the standard extra length each end one should add to your height? 30cm is about 11inches, so 22inches above my height...

Im thinking, since I dont have a sewing machine and was going to do it by hand, I'll try and find a tailor to hem the two big pieces for me, then I'll hand sew them tegether that the sides for the length I want...

who'd have thought for the day I longed to own a sewing machine...

flyfisher
01-29-2005, 15:00
ok, so things learnt today...

I cut my material. Ripstop nylon looks tougher than I thought, but I am still going with a double layer for my first hammock attempt.

ripstop nylon is very thin and slippery, very finnickey to play with.

150cm width is BIG! I mean wide.. I can wrap it around my self completely (hey I am a small fella...).. So I chopped 20cm down the length to use as my skin tube which still leaves me with 130cm wide, far more than enough width Im thinking...

I have 2x250cm lengths, and I stand about 168cm.. So I need to work out if I should shorten the length to about 230 (30cm each end + 168.. == 228)..

whats the standard extra length each end one should add to your height? 30cm is about 11inches, so 22inches above my height...

Im thinking, since I dont have a sewing machine and was going to do it by hand, I'll try and find a tailor to hem the two big pieces for me, then I'll hand sew them tegether that the sides for the length I want...

who'd have thought for the day I longed to own a sewing machine...

I stand at right about 185 cm. After building a little over a dozen hammocks, I have pared down the size of the fabric to the lightest/smallest I am comfortable in. It is 275 cm x 125 cm.

Most people seem to like their hammock 150 cm wide, so I am abberation. I like the narrower hammock because it gets me up in the hammock instead of in a deep tube. As you are about 20 cm shorter than I am, you should be able to shorten the hammock by about 20 cm. So 250 cm is long enough. I guarantee you will not want it shorter than that. Any shorter and my feet start jamming into the bottom end.

This presupposes that you whipp the end of the hammock. If I tie the ends in a knot like Ed Speer shows in his book, then I need an additional 25 cm in length to accomodate the two knots.

Hope this helps.

MadAussieInLondon
01-29-2005, 15:46
cheers mate. I'll keep it at 250, and I plan on whipping it into submission. 150 was really like being swallowed whole, so I think 130 is going to be fine.

The Hammocker
01-30-2005, 19:09
If you want to see a cheap hom made hammock check out my instructions on hiking HQ. Hope thay help.

titanium_hiker
03-01-2005, 17:09
made my new hammock... it's blue. Made out of ripstop and wieghs two pounds.
which is way lighter. It is double bottomed in that it has an insulation pocket, in which I put my fleece poncho for insulation.

MadAussieInLondon
03-01-2005, 18:07
witohut access to a sewing machine (and the funds to tailor it), im waiting till i get access to my mum-in-laws when i go to america... so its all bundled away for now :(

congrats! take some pics :)

titanium_hiker
03-01-2005, 18:16
two easy straight sews,
pics on the way!

The Hammocker
03-01-2005, 19:29
two easy straight sews,
pics on the way!

Thats what this site needs more people with digital cameras, pictures are much easier to understand.

titanium_hiker
03-01-2005, 21:55
not only digital cameras... but also time to upload the pics. sigh.

titanium_hiker

The Hammocker
03-02-2005, 19:11
True, but it gets eaisier with time.

titanium_hiker
03-02-2005, 19:33
hmm. it helps if you own one personally, not just a family camera.

The Hammocker
03-02-2005, 19:55
I have 3 of my own;

One is a video/digital camera, the other is a cheap web cam/ digital camera, and the other is a dinasour Kodak that was given to me for X-mas 3 years ago when it was considered a "new model" .

titanium_hiker
03-03-2005, 19:47
Hmm... you don't live in Sth Am. on very little. Don't brag about your stuff out of context ok? its more polite. And you wonder why I make my own gear? :)
titanium_hiker

The Hammocker
03-04-2005, 22:06
well I saved up for ever + I hardly ever get $$.

titanium_hiker
03-05-2005, 21:16
ok ok... hehe. but how much do your parents earn (not asking, just think about it.)
titanium_hiker

The Hammocker
03-06-2005, 22:01
Dunno, but they don't give me any of it.:( I get all my money on holidays 'thus my reson for making home-made gear.

titanium_hiker
03-10-2005, 16:56
tis enuff. let us talk about hammocks, just remember for future use that it isn't polite to talk about what you own, shane. Hmm..

The Hammocker
03-10-2005, 19:04
whatever, So you said the hammock was about two pounds, right? What if instead of a duble bottomed hammock you just sew straps spaced out? It might save a little wieght(in theory anyway)

MadAussieInLondon
03-11-2005, 07:18
too much seweing. wouldnt it reduce the strength?

The Hammocker
03-11-2005, 19:00
what I mean is the reg. hammock but instead of two layers just sew strips on the bottom to hold your sleeping pad. Sure its a little more sewing but all in the interest of saving wieght.

titanium_hiker
03-12-2005, 09:18
---------===========-----------------
I have just a pocket. two easy sews. Pictures coming after the darn physics project is out of the way.

The Hammocker
03-14-2005, 21:53
I hate school. I finally have spring break next week! yay! SLEEP!!! :jump

titanium_hiker
03-15-2005, 18:12
less than 12 weeks to go! then I'm FINISHED!! oh, and the pocket is for stuff, not just insulation.

The Hammocker
03-16-2005, 20:58
I hate school. Oh I see where your coming from on the hammock.

-------------------------------------
viva-la-spring break!!!:banana (okay thats kinda corny)

titanium_hiker
03-17-2005, 17:25
I got straight A's!!! yay! one quarter to go! then I'm done for good. :banana :banana :banana
titanium_geek

titanium_hiker
03-17-2005, 20:04
ok boston, we got over it. I apologise to the hammocker if it really offended him, but I was offended by his remark about material goods.

titanium_hiker
PS you spelled 'ass' wrong. Are you refering to me as a donkey or a butt?

The Hammocker
03-17-2005, 20:46
Boston,

That was between me and her. If you read the post you would understand.
I'm sorry if she thought I was bragging but that was just the way I worded it.
Everyone has the right to get a little P.Oed some times. So stay out of it. That was our argument, it's over. It's too late for you to try to step in now. FORGET IT!!!!!!!!!! okay?

The Hammocker
03-17-2005, 20:48
No need to be an ass_hole.whats with the " _ " thats just dumb if your gonna say something just say it.

The Hammocker
03-17-2005, 20:56
No need to be an *******.THANK YOU! Thats better, still rude, but better!

Just Jeff
03-17-2005, 23:15
titanium_hiker,

Please check your private messages on Rock's site...I sent you something that you may be interested in.

titanium_hiker
03-19-2005, 14:18
no prob with bragging about hiking stuff, boston... especially on a hiking site... images/smilies/bse.gif

thanks jeff, yeah I've seen it, I just haven't gotten the hang of it yet. (hammocking group)

titanium_geek

titanium_hiker
03-19-2005, 14:26
hey, guys, do you use a bugnet and if so, how do you keep it off your face? What material do you use?

The Hammocker
03-20-2005, 21:07
well you could just use a face bug net and a hat, that should work unless they get in your sleeping bag.

Just Jeff
03-21-2005, 21:49
TH, check the following links for bug net ideas:

DebW's pictures at hammockcamping: http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/lst?.dir=/DebW%27s+Photos&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

Mirage's system: http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/MirageHammockSystem/index.html (Click on each picture for a close-up and explanation)

Ray Garlington's new model: http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/SilkHammock/

I'm going to make a bug net either like my TravelSock, but out of mesh( http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGearTravelSock.html ), or almost like Mirages above, but without the shock-cord and just tucking the edges into the underquilt.

Jeff

Wastrel
03-21-2005, 22:22
Sierra Trading Post has some fairly nice hammocks on sale for $20. I just received several to have on hand for gifts and they're pretty nice for the money. Made better than most and not a big investment if you want to try out hammock camping.
See them at: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.99747/dept_id./est./qx/product.htm

The Hammocker
03-23-2005, 20:30
For the money it's not bad. Still this is the HOMEMADE HAMMOCK thread!