PDA

View Full Version : 7-8 days through GSMNP?

bubba295
04-05-2010, 23:10
My self and a friend of mine are hatching a plan to hike the AT through the Smokies in the next few weeks. I have hiked a bunch in the park and I think it is doable, but my buddy is a bit of a photog...............

We plan to start at the south end of the park.

What do you think?

ChinMusic
04-05-2010, 23:13
I am not a strong hiker at all and did the Smokies in 5 1/2 days.

bubba295
04-05-2010, 23:26
Thanks. I will tell him to quit sweating it.

just dad
04-06-2010, 21:05
No pressure, but my 9 and 11 year old kids managed to do the Smokys in 6 days.

Rain Man
04-06-2010, 22:27
I am not a strong hiker at all and did the Smokies in 5 1/2 days.

Ditto. Old fat guy here. Did it in 5 days, 4 nights, as follows: Mollies Ridge, Silers Bald, Icewater Springs, Tricorner Knob Shelters. Long days, but did it without problems.

Rain:sunMan

SmokyMtn Hiker
04-06-2010, 22:33
I did a SOBO trip thru the Smokys in 6 days and took the time to take plenty of photos. I done mine in early October and had to change my itenerary several times due to bear closures at the shelters but you shouldn't have that problem this early in the year. Hope your trip was as rewarding as mine, happy trails.

The Solemates
04-07-2010, 09:40
Ive done the AT through the smokies multiple times - done it in as little as 3.5days and as slow as 7 days.

7-8 days is easily doable. you would almost have to go do some hiking OFF the AT to view some other scenic areas to accomodate such a slow pace.

Jaybird
04-07-2010, 09:48
You can hike the SMOKIES in 5 days easy!

7 days would be a very slow stroll...but it is YOUR hike!...enjoy!:D

section-hikin' CLARKS VALLEY,PA NOBO to GREENWOOD LAKE,NY
in 15 days....APR 24-MAY 8
w/ "Jigsaw"

sidebackside
04-07-2010, 09:51
[QUOTE=
7-8 days is easily doable. you would almost have to go do some hiking OFF the AT to view some other scenic areas to accomodate such a slow pace.[/QUOTE]

Which would actually be a good idea.

Cookerhiker
04-07-2010, 15:30
I was in my mid-50s and not in particularly good shape but hiked the Smokies SOBO (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=84055) in 5 1/2 days. And one of those days I got a late start while waiting out heavy rain so it was really more like 5 days of hiking. You can do it. Also, my hike was in mid-Octoberwith much less daylight.

Just Plain Jim
04-07-2010, 15:37
Back in 2003 [when I was a young 64] I started at Hot Springs on Friday morning and finished at Fontana Dam the next Friday afternoon. I did 16 miles the last day and really felt it. :eek: That's the most milage that I had done at the time.
PS: My wife was waiting for me.

Ox97GaMe
04-08-2010, 05:18
A lot will depend on weather over the next couple weeks. There is still a lot of snow at the higher elevations, but it should be gone by the time you hike through. However, the park gets a major snowstorm EVERY year sometime during the month of April. Watch the weather before you head out. 6-7 days is pretty much the norm for the thru hikers that are going through the park (3.5 Fontana to NFG, 2.5 NFG to Davenport). Speaking of thru hikers, they will be thick as fleas during the month of April, and into early May. Call in for your reservation # and have the permit with you. You may need to dispute your space in the shelter, unless you just prefer to camp.

Swofford11
04-09-2010, 12:21
A lot will depend on weather over the next couple weeks. There is still a lot of snow at the higher elevations, but it should be gone by the time you hike through. However, the park gets a major snowstorm EVERY year sometime during the month of April. Watch the weather before you head out. 6-7 days is pretty much the norm for the thru hikers that are going through the park (3.5 Fontana to NFG, 2.5 NFG to Davenport). Speaking of thru hikers, they will be thick as fleas during the month of April, and into early May. Call in for your reservation # and have the permit with you. You may need to dispute your space in the shelter, unless you just prefer to camp.

Just got back from the smokies yesterday. Never had a problem with thru hikers and shelter space.

They were all very nice and asked everyone if they had a reservation before taking a shelter spot. Most preferred to tent on top of that. Slept in full shelters each night and had about 5 or 6 tents set up around the shelter.

Great group of thrus up there this past week. Lots of fun to hang out with.

I will add it was packed on the AT with thrus and section hikers. I couldn't go half mile without seeing 5 or 6 people. However, when I came down from the AT on Eagle Creek I didn't see a soul for a whole day and half.

My one recommendation is go down Eagle Creek from Spence field Shelter rather than down the AT to Fontana Dam from Spence. Eagle Creek is a beautiful trail and much nicer to walk on than the AT down to Fontana Dam. The AT to Fontana Dam is just plain boring. Way over hyped.

Ox97GaMe
04-09-2010, 18:01
Swoff, How was the Eagle Creek Trail. There have been a lot of blowdowns in the park between 2100 and 3500 ft elevations and I heard that Jenkins Ridge looked like a war zone. Was Eagle Creek somewhat protected through the valley, or are there a lot of trees down along there too?

Im sorry you think the section from Spence to Fontana is boring. I will have to work on that. Maybe plant a few flower gardens along the way and tote up some sculptures. <lol>

Also, for those that do take Eagle Creek, be prepared to get your feet wet. I love the trail, but you are constantly crossing the creek and the water gets deeper the further downhill you get. Some spots were waist deep last time i was through there. Fun in the summer, but not so much in cold weather.

Swofford11
04-09-2010, 20:42
Swoff, How was the Eagle Creek Trail. There have been a lot of blowdowns in the park between 2100 and 3500 ft elevations and I heard that Jenkins Ridge looked like a war zone. Was Eagle Creek somewhat protected through the valley, or are there a lot of trees down along there too?

Im sorry you think the section from Spence to Fontana is boring. I will have to work on that. Maybe plant a few flower gardens along the way and tote up some sculptures. <lol>

Also, for those that do take Eagle Creek, be prepared to get your feet wet. I love the trail, but you are constantly crossing the creek and the water gets deeper the further downhill you get. Some spots were waist deep last time i was through there. Fun in the summer, but not so much in cold weather.

Eagle Creek was beautiful. There were some branches down but it looked like someone had been through and cleared out the trail a little bit with a chainsaw. Any major tree that had been down had been cleared from the trail. Couldn't have been to long ago because there was still a lot of sawdust on the ground when I went through.

The stream crossings weren't that bad either. This was the first time I had been down the trail and I tried to keep my feet dry for the first few crossings.:o Gave up after about three and just jumped in. None were that bad. I'm short at 5'6 and only the last few got up above my knees. The water was not to cold either. Camped at the second campsite and it was just a great spot. Just a fun trail to hike on. Would love to do it in the heat of the summer. Don't know if I would take young kids through there though because some of the crossings did take a little muscle.

I thought Eagle Creek was better graded and an easier uphill than from Fontana Dam to Spence. Also thought it was nicer to walk beside the stream than it was to hike in the trees. I believe it is about the same distance but I thought the hike was easier. Also adding in the views from the Lakeshore trail make it a very nice hike. From Fontana Dam could use a little more flowers and gardens. Maybe a bench or two. ;)

After Spence Field though I'd rather be on the AT just wonderful hiking :D

Ox97GaMe
04-11-2010, 21:57
Every hiker has preferences to what they want to see when they hike. I too like walking along the streams and through the Rhodo tunnels. But, I also enjoy the views from the ridgeline.

The distance is within a mile either way. Lakeshore Trail and Eagle Creek actually has more up and down, which means more overall climbing distance and descent distance. you must dont have the climb up to Shuckstack that most hikers seem to dislike for some reason. Personally, I dont think it is too bad, but then Ive been up Baxter, Forney Ridge, Sweat Heifer, Porters Manway, Chestnut Ridge, Snake Den Ridge, and a few others that make Shuckstack look like just a walk in the park. lol.

1azarus
05-15-2010, 09:16
...i think part of the problem is that when anyone calls to make GSMNP reservations they make it sound like a week is barely enough. they talked me into making reservations for huts way closer together than i ended up needing or using. i was told "this ain't Florida walking..." 7 or 8 days is plenty for anyone who has done any hiking at all...