PDA

View Full Version : Watch out around South Shenandoah, Humpback Rock, and The Priest!

Bidwell
04-06-2010, 00:03
http://www.nbc29.com/Global/story.asp?S=12260508

Sound like there's a fellow in the area running around with a gun. Be careful out there!

Panzer1
04-06-2010, 01:41
dam, there even giving the victims security at the hospital. Just in case the shooter comes back to finish the job...

Panzer

Graywolf
04-06-2010, 02:50
I just love the way the news describes incidents..Yes, this is a dangerous situation, don't get me wrong there..What I am refering to is how the State Trooper is considered a "victom even though he was not shot but "injured" during a rescue attempt..

But by all means, hikers in that area, do please be careful

Graywolf

Gauguin
04-06-2010, 02:54
Time to call in the US Special Forces, sound like good practice for them, to catch this nut.

puddle pirate
04-06-2010, 07:02
I almost went up there this week. Glad I didn't. Graywolf, I'm sorry I have to diagree with you. Anyone who puts their life at risk trying to rescue someone else should be counted. I don't agree with a death be attributed to a storm because someone doesn't know how to use a chainsaw though.

Hobbler
04-06-2010, 09:13
Yeah...the mountain ridge top was all a flutter with blue lights and State Police helicopters last night. Could see activity up there from my back porch...Scary! According to the news there have been 2 people shot and the perp is still on the loose. Reported to be a man in a red Tarurs having a grey beard. The Blue Ridge Parkway is now closed from Reeds gap to Rockfish gap. The manhunt is on and I hope that he is caught soon. Just did the A/T from Reeds gap to the Tye 5 days ago....You never Know! All you hikers please be safe out there.

10-K
04-06-2010, 10:10
Chuck Norris is on his way.

Hobbler
04-06-2010, 17:42
Correction on the suspect ID: White male, thinning gray hair and 50-60yrs of age....The Augusta Sheriff's Department has released a statement and believe now that this is a "random" incident...Truly a worrying comment. He could be anywhere, including the trail....I hope that they catch this nut soon!....Buddy up and stay alert!...

johnnybgood
04-06-2010, 22:32
Dammit !! My section hike starts early Saturday going SoBo from Rockfish Gap.

I've mapped out campsites , water sources ,daily mileage including where to do a meet-up with my wife & two blue blaze trails to points of interest. Now my wife is asking me if I'm still seriously doing this hike with that "you gotta be outta your mind" look on her face.

I will keep a close eye on this situation.

vitamaltz
04-07-2010, 08:08
It doesn't hurt to be alert, but I'm not going to stay out of the woods because of this. The police presence on the parkway is pretty intense. I'll be up on a blue blaze off of Skyline Drive today and I'm not worried. Skyline Drive is always a controlled-access road, and they won't be letting any longhaired Taurus drivers in. There are police at all the local access points to the BRP also looking for this guy. Even though he may be shooting people at random, there's been no indication in the news that he ever even got out of his car. There are a lot of people around here who drive around on the parkway and have no idea that the AT is only a few hundred yards downslope.

I do wonder what the connections might be between this incident and those two students shot at their car at the trailhead near Blacksburg last year.

Have a good section, Johnnybgood!

1azarus
04-07-2010, 08:14
It doesn't hurt to be alert, but I'm not going to stay out of the woods because of this. The police presence on the parkway is pretty intense. I'll be up on a blue blaze off of Skyline Drive today and I'm not worried. Skyline Drive is always a controlled-access road, and they won't be letting any longhaired Taurus drivers in. There are police at all the local access points to the BRP also looking for this guy. Even though he may be shooting people at random, there's been no indication in the news that he ever even got out of his car. There are a lot of people around here who drive around on the parkway and have no idea that the AT is only a few hundred yards downslope.

I do wonder what the connections might be between this incident and those two students shot at their car at the trailhead near Blacksburg last year.

Have a good section, Johnnybgood!

easy for you to say. you probably don't look like a 50ish old guy with thinning gray hair!

vitamaltz
04-07-2010, 09:06
easy for you to say. you probably don't look like a 50ish old guy with thinning gray hair!

'Zactly. I also wouldn't drive a Taurus.

Hobbler
04-07-2010, 17:19
Yeah!....As of 5:10pm today, the news conference held by the Augusta County Sherrif's Department says that they have made an arrest in the case of the shooter...I just hope that they got the right guy...No news about the possible tie to the Caldwell Fields murders yet. If this is the guy, all you hikers might be breathing a little easier....Again exercize caution and still buddy-up! They feel that they got the right guy!

Blissful
04-07-2010, 18:11
Yes they say they are very confident they got their man. Saw it on the news tonight.

johnnybgood
04-07-2010, 18:48
Just heard that the police made an arrest in this case. They are 100% sure they have the right man as he apparantly made self incriminating statements upon his arrest.
The hot tip called in this morning was crucial in nailing this guy.

Thanks for the well wishes Vitamaltz

Bags4266
04-07-2010, 19:18
Thank God, I was starting my section thru SNP on the 21st. When I started reading I was thinking of canceling. Glad they got the SOB.

waywardfool
04-07-2010, 20:42
Current article from the same news site in the first post:

http://www.nbc29.com/Global/story.asp?S=12271829

ATSeamstress
04-07-2010, 21:54
Thank you, thank you! Yes I'm breathing easier.

vitamaltz
04-07-2010, 21:58
He has a fresh new hairdo in his mug shot. I was thinking about this today. If they were looking for a long-haired dude, and you were him, would you keep your long hair and arouse suspicion or suddenly cut it all off and arouse suspicion?

Blissful
04-08-2010, 13:03
I just heard this guy is also suspect for the VA Tech students killed also last year.

Hobbler
04-09-2010, 18:10
The 27 year old male who was shot and fell over the cliff at the overlook was removed from life support at 4:30 this afternoon and has passed away. What the *^## was this nutcase thinking when he shot them? Now it is Murder not just attempted....

Hobbler
04-09-2010, 18:15
So sad....

http://www.nbc29.com/Global/story.asp?S=12286279

Roche
04-09-2010, 20:45
Please dispose of this nutjob immediately (after he is found guilty) - we don't need another Randall Lee Smith.

RGB
04-09-2010, 20:50
Why in the hell would someone do this?

nitewalker
04-09-2010, 22:32
that kinda sh$# just pi#$e% me off. freakin idiots everywhere...eye for an eye if you ask me what to do with this 1st class moron....."hang the sob"