PDA

View Full Version : Availability of Campsites Along the GA AT?

Lucinda
10-14-2004, 07:57
My boyfriend and I will be taking next week to sobo hike the GA section of the AT. We normally like to take our hammocks camping but are thinking that we might be warmer and have to take less stuff if we take my lightweight tent to share. It looks like temps could be down in the 30s next week and by taking a tent we wouldn't have to take underquilts, a couple of oware pads, etc. and probably have a better chance of staying warm.

I've consulted a few guide books about available campsites along the trail and it doesn't look like there are many documented sites and there are quite a few long stretches without them. Obviously bringing our tent would reduce our flexibility in campsite selection. Are there very many tent-suitable sites along the AT that aren't documented or will we have difficulty finding fairly flat, clear spots? Would there be much competition for these spots?

Maybe we're just better off taking our hammocks??:confused:

Lone Wolf
10-14-2004, 08:38
There are lots and lots of campsites all along the trail in Georgia. Water is your major worry.

Dances with Mice
10-14-2004, 08:40
There are hundreds of campsites. You can't walk one mile without passing a campsite in Georgia, usually several per mile. Be aware that hunting season has started.

The only restriction is that campfires are not allowed in the Blood Mtn Wilderness area.

Hammock Hanger
10-14-2004, 08:53
I'll be out on the GA-AT the weekend of the 23rd. I'll be bringing my hammock and my Jacksrbetter quilt. :) Sue/HH

orangebug
10-14-2004, 09:15
Water isn't even much of a worry.

There are lots of campsites. Many of them are currently covered up by high wild flowers and blackberries, scheduled to reappear after the first killing frost. West of Blood Mtn are many new tent pads, that aren't documented in the old guide, but should be in the Databook.

Please be wary during hunting season. A couple of years ago, a good ole' boy shot at movement in early sunrise, severely wounding a 16 year old girl on her first camping trip. She learned the hard way to wear blaze orange when digging a cat hole.

Bill...

BookBurner
10-14-2004, 10:23
I've been out on the Ga. A.T. the past several weekends and ran across plenty of water sources and campsites that are not identified in the data book along the entire length of the trail. Don't worry about either. The most significant dry stretch is the six miles from Hightower Gap to Justus Creek. If you camp in this area, you will most likely be high and dry for the night. I've been amazed at the amount of traffic on the trail this fall. It's been virtually desserted, especially during the week. You may have some company on the weekend, but campsites should be yours for the picking Monday - Friday. Enjoy!

-- BookBurner

www.enlightenedthruhiker.com (http://www.enlightenedthruhiker.com)

Crash! Bang!
10-14-2004, 10:26
i would add that all thru the south there are a blue million places to camp, from documented, official spots noted in wingfoot or the companion, to developed, undocumented sites, to just plain old flat spots in a clearing with very little or no development. usually just about every hilltop and valley it seems like. have fun!:banana

Youngblood
10-14-2004, 11:03
... Maybe we're just better off taking our hammocks??:confused:

The previous responses are very good, it is mostly water sources that you need to be aware of. Paved road crossings sometimes mean that there is a couple of mile stretch where campsites will also be an issue. There are lots of campsites in Georgia and hopefully you will find one each day that will be just right for you.

Hammock, cold weather, hiking as a couple... tenting might be easier if you don't mind sleeping on the ground. Going solo, at some point as it gets cooler it gets easier to tent. I would think that point happens much sooner if you are going as a couple. Hopefully you will get great fall colors and have a great time either way.

Youngblood

Kerosene
10-16-2004, 08:54
We made a lovely camp at the summit of Ramrock Mountain. You can see the skyscrapers of Atlanta on a clear day.

I would have liked to camp near Laurel Creek Falls, but the temperature was supposed to plummet below freezing that night so we took a left a the next dirt road and camped at Hickory Flatts Cemetary a quarter mile up the road.

There were a ton of nice campsites all along the Georgia AT. Here are a few nice spots I remember passing:

Tentsites south of the summit of Blood Mountain.
Bull Gap, 1.1 miles north of Neels Gap.
Wolf Laurel Top, 3.4 miles north of Neels Gap.
Summit of Cowrock Mountain, 4.7 miles north of Neels Gap.
White Oak Stamp, 0.9 miles north of Hogpen Gap.
Red Clay Gap, 9.8 miles north of Hogpen Gap.
Summit of Rocky Mountain, 1.2 miles north of Unicoi Gap (and straight up!).
Blue-blazed side trail to view, 2.7 miles north of Addis Gap.
Cowart Gap, 1.8 miles north of Dicks Creek Gap.

Note that not all of these campsites have ready access to water, although water can usually be found within several miles in either direction.

Note that there are also a lot of campsites located in and around the shelters.

Rain Man
10-18-2004, 13:06
I've consulted a few guide books ...

A great source of CURRENT info is from the Georgia AT Club.

They also have a Yahoo Group. When I posted a request for info there, I got lots of GREAT replies, quickly.

http://www.georgia-atclub.org/

:sun
Rain Man

bitpusher
10-18-2004, 13:35
The campsite on Wolf Laurel Top is small but very nice. If the weather is clear, you will be treated to a beautiful sunrise.

max patch
07-18-2005, 09:53
A great source of CURRENT info is from the Georgia AT Club.

They also have a Yahoo Group. When I posted a request for info there, I got lots of GREAT replies, quickly.

http://www.georgia-atclub.org/

:sun
Rain Man

What is the name or URL for the yahoo group? I can't find it using yahoo group search. Thanks.

briarpatch
07-18-2005, 11:11
Max,

You can find the GATC group here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/georgia-at-club/

max patch
07-18-2005, 16:20
Max,

You can find the GATC group here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/georgia-at-club/

Thanks, briarpatch.

TakeABreak
07-18-2005, 22:54
Lucinda,

Just a though here, but if you were to state approx. miles per day or area's that you look to camp at night, you might get more specific response's. Having only done all of GA , just once, there is one section which I did hike a lot on training hikes and that was US 76 to deep gap shelter. The water sources stated in the data book were very good and reliable year round.

There was also, plenty of places off the AT to camp and I rarely saw anyone else on the trail in that area, not say there won't be, I was just blessed with solitude in that area most of the time.