PDA

View Full Version : Missing shelter logs?

grrickar
10-14-2004, 12:58
During our section hike we found that more often than not there was not a shelter log for us to sign or read. Does that happen a lot?

Lone Wolf
10-14-2004, 13:10
Yes it does. Folks want souvenirs so they take them before they are full.

Dances with Mice
10-14-2004, 13:11
During our section hike we found that more often than not there was not a shelter log for us to sign or read. Does that happen a lot?

Shouldn't. Drop a note with the name of the shelters to the Club in charge of that section. Many (most? all?) have websites.

How was the bible supply?

Alligator
10-14-2004, 13:59
I've noticed that the registers are often full after thru-hiker season and that is also the time of year when there are more shelters without registers. Once they are full, I think they tend to get mailed to the person who left them, as there is usually a note with a promise of goodies if mailed. Someone has to come along with a new one, and traffic is slower in the fall and especially winter.

Good idea to let the trail club know, as they probably have members passing through more often.

grrickar
10-14-2004, 16:57
Shouldn't. Drop a note with the name of the shelters to the Club in charge of that section. Many (most? all?) have websites.

How was the bible supply?
I didn't see any religious materials, not even Bibles. We found a novel in one shelter left behind, a few had journals (Pecks, Roaring Forks, Tricorner Knob, Fontana Dam, Sassafras Gap), and one had a journal that was full (Icewater Springs). Numerous others did not have one at all.

Doctari
10-15-2004, 00:29
The FBI took ALL of them from the smokies shelters a few years ago. Looking for someone they said. I called them theifs, they didn't like it but it was true.

Doctari.

grrickar
10-15-2004, 12:18
The FBI took ALL of them from the smokies shelters a few years ago. Looking for someone they said. I called them theifs, they didn't like it but it was true.

Doctari.
Really? Was it when Eric Rudolph was at large? Specualtion was that he was in the mountains and getting help from locals. Maybe that was their logic - that someone might have met him and wrote about it in a journal.

I think that most of them were missing because of people burning them or taking them for themselves. The one at Icewater Springs was full, but you could tell someone had torn about 30 pages out of the notebook, presumably to start fires with.

Doctari
10-15-2004, 14:57
Really? Was it when Eric Rudolph was at large? Specualtion was that he was in the mountains and getting help from locals. Maybe that was their logic - that someone might have met him and wrote about it in a journal.

I think that most of them were missing because of people burning them or taking them for themselves. The one at Icewater Springs was full, but you could tell someone had torn about 30 pages out of the notebook, presumably to start fires with.

Yea, it was during the time of Eric and "a bank robber reported in the area" I was awakened at 3:00 AM in the Fontana Dam shelter by 2 TVA cops & a local cop looking for them/him. Met the FBI at standing Indian Shelter, that was an interesting experience :rolleyes:

Doctari.

Rocalousas
10-28-2004, 19:40
I've carried a notebook with me before, and sure enough came across a shelter without a register. Felt good to give something back to the trail.

saimyoji
10-28-2004, 20:18
Met the FBI at standing Indian Shelter, that was an interesting experience :rolleyes:

Doctari.
I'll bite. Care to share?

SavageLlama
10-28-2004, 20:38
People that take registers should be beaten like rented mules.

FYI - here's an interesting article on this same thing happening in the Sierras..
http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/11201045p-12116915c.html

Trail Dog
10-29-2004, 01:19
i sent back two registers to people with promises of goodies. Not even a thank you. I hope i get one i left in low gap georgia (i think it was there). It would be nice to get that in the mail and send a thank you.

hey Llama, how would you feel if i threated to beat rented Llama's?

SavageLlama
10-29-2004, 10:11
hey Llama, how would you feel if i threated to beat rented Llama's?Careful, llamas can be savage. :D