PDA

View Full Version : Standing Bear Farm is awesome...

grrickar
10-14-2004, 13:10
I wanted to thank Curtis at Standing Bear for the services he provides. We stayed at Standing Bear the second day of our section hike last week and the cabin was really comfortable. Standing Bear has a hiker pantry with quite a bit of stuff, a kitchen, mouldering privy (best I saw along our section hike), laundry and bunkhouse. Did I mention hot showers? :) Curtis shuttled us to the local convienence store the next morning for some breakfast, then gave us some info on the upcoming days hike. We happened to run into Curtis later in our travels when he dropped some hikers off at Newfound Gap. We were hitching out of Gatlingburg and he stopped and gave us a ride to Clingman Dome where we left the trail the night before. Check his place out if you're in the area, you won't regret it.

hustler
10-14-2004, 13:24
Standing Bear was one of the best stops on the trail. Curtis was awesome. It was a nice place and continues to improve. I recommend it to anyone hiking that section of trail.

The Solemates
10-14-2004, 13:40
curtis is quite the character for sure. you would not believe the stories I have regarding this guy, but I digress. too long to share here, and they may not make certain people happy. i question the privy though...it is located only 10 yards from the stream that he also gets his water from.

Lone Wolf
10-14-2004, 13:52
I remember the days there were no stores or hostels at in the Davenport Gap Area. Mtn Momas is just fine with me. Don't need no fancy hostel. :)

smokymtnsteve
10-14-2004, 13:56
well LW I wouldn't call Standing Bear Farm fancy, actually it's a rustic kinda of place,

Lone Wolf
10-14-2004, 13:58
Yeah whatever. I don't stay at hostels anyway. They usually aren't places to get rest.

smokymtnsteve
10-14-2004, 14:13
LW even you would like SBF, it's a cool place,

you feeling OK today wolf?

Lone Wolf
10-14-2004, 14:16
Feeling fine brother. Getting ready to go for a run on the Creeper Trail.

smokymtnsteve
10-14-2004, 14:18
I'm getting ready to go put a engine into a pick-up truck.

Jack Tarlin
10-14-2004, 14:56
Hey, Wolf, you've several times taken me to task about commenting on places I haven't personally visited or have little knowledge of.

If you'd spent much---or any---time at Standing Bear, you'd know it's as far from "fancy" as you can get. It's actually simple, rustic, evn a little spartan. It's a no frills, honest, down to earth kind of place.

Which is great. I think this is one of the finest hiker facilities on the Trail, and part of its uniques success is that it isn't fancy at all. It doesn't need to be.

Megabite
10-14-2004, 15:27
i loved standing bear - i didnt spend the nite, but i did warm up by the fire in april, get some supplies, and check my email. curtis was a great guy, and it was a nice place, as it's the first place going north that is run on the honor system (that i encountered). just different than the other hostels, more laid back, etc...

-- megabite

A-Train
10-14-2004, 16:48
curtis was a great guy, and it was a nice place, as it's the first place going north that is run on the honor system (that i encountered). just different than the other hostels, more laid back, etc...

-- megabite

Yeah you hit the nail on the head. One of the reasons that place is so special is because of the laid-back nature and trust factor. It was one of the few hostels or businesess on the AT where I didn't feel like someone was standing over my shoulder or asking for 50cents as soon as I unwrapped a candy bar. Maybe its my selfish nature (and those of many thru-hikers) who like things done on their time). I think its more the fact that the hostel is run in the true spirit and pace of the App. Trail and backpacking. Its farm setting makes you completely forget about deadlines or miles. The way it should be. Curtis is one of the best folks on the Trail. Doesn't care about the money.

Pecan
10-14-2004, 17:11
Is it open year round?

rocket04
10-14-2004, 19:50
All the coolest hostels were the ones that were really laid back IMO. Like Standing Bear, the one in Glencliff, and the Caratunk House. Honor system, you take care of your stuff at your own leisure and it's all good. I guess the honor system must be working since these hostels have been running for a while and they keep it up. A shame Caratunk House will be closing, Paul was an awesome guy. And those milkshakes...

grrickar
10-15-2004, 12:38
Is it open year round?
I believe so. Curtis mentioned that he was winterizing the place because pipes were freezing and such later in the season. He was doing some work on the showerhouse when we got there. He also stated that he doesn't turn anyone away, even when full. He has a tent camping area for overflow. The cabin had two beds, and the bunkhouse sleeps 14 (I think) and has a wood burning stove. The bunkhouse has electricity, but the cabin does not. We stayed in the cabin and used candles for light when we needed it. It is closer to the privy and showers.

Flash Hand
10-15-2004, 15:48
curtis is quite the character for sure. you would not believe the stories I have regarding this guy, but I digress. too long to share here, and they may not make certain people happy. i question the privy though...it is located only 10 yards from the stream that he also gets his water from.

yeah I noticed it is approximately 10 yards away, I had a such concern about it... but other than that, SBF is the BEST place to stay, no doubts about it. Curtis is great guy.

Balitmore Jack, whats your opinion about privy sitting 10 yards away from the stream. Should the Privy be moved to someplace farther than stream? You know more about the situation than I do.

Flash Hand :jump

smokymtnsteve
10-15-2004, 16:27
sure as heck need to treat your water down stream,,,plus folks live upstream from SBF also,

kentucky
10-15-2004, 17:50
Well I have really never hooked or thrown my food bag over anything,I just put it in my pack and in my tent it goes!:D kentucky

orangebug
10-15-2004, 20:29
I think you meant to post on the Bear Bag thread. :rolleyes:

Flash Hand
10-15-2004, 22:30
I think you meant to post on the Bear Bag thread. :rolleyes:

Look like he is WhiteBlaze newbies :bse

Flash Hand :jump