PDA

View Full Version : approach trail question please help???

tennesseered
04-06-2010, 19:10
:confused:]

so im kinda confused im starting my thru hike saturday. i want to sign the trail rgister at the very beginning of the trail for sure and i am confused whet do i have to do to get to it? Iis it ABSOLUTELY necessary to hike from the amicola state park to springer to officially sign the book? would really appreciate some feed back. (im trying to avoid doing the 1700 stairs ive done them before and it sucked) and some may be like h youre lazy well i dont care i have hiked a lot before and just done feel like gettin super tired the first day cause my dad is hiking with me.

thanks all

Hikes in Rain
04-06-2010, 19:13
Nope, no required. You can start at Springer (actually, at the parking lot a little less than a mile down) hike up to the summit, sign the register, and retrace your steps.

Although the approach trail used to be part of the AT, it no longer is with the relocation of the southern terminus to Springer. You could start at the lodge, though, after a good night's sleep and the breakfast buffet. It's great!

Blissful
04-06-2010, 19:37
:confused:]

would really appreciate some feed back. (im trying to avoid doing the 1700 stairs ive done them before and it sucked) and some may be like h youre lazy well i dont care i have hiked a lot before and just done feel like gettin super tired the first day cause my dad is hiking with me.

thanks all

I can tell you, farther up the trail is tough too. I don't know how far your father is going with, but there are mtns on the way to Neel Gap that are challenging. Being tired is part of it, honestly. Only time I wasn't tired is when I was on a zero day. If your father can't do it or you only want to be together for the first day, its understandable. But if he plans to go farther, there is Sassafras on the way, among many many more.

Rain Man
04-06-2010, 22:30
Do not have to do the approach trail to sign the register on Springer, no.

But beware, the register doesn't jump out at you. I was there twice, and missed it both times. It's "hidden" under a pile of cemented rocks. Not at all obvious.

Rain:sunMan

tennesseered
04-07-2010, 01:31
really appreciate the info . yeah my dad was just gonna hike up to springer to see me off. the rest of the hike is up to me as ill be solo for my thru hike

tennesseered
04-07-2010, 01:32
what is the road name to get to the parking lot that is right below springer if you guys dont mind filling me in? thanks again for the answers :)

Rain Man
04-07-2010, 09:47
what is the road name to get to the parking lot that is right below springer if you guys dont mind filling me in?

Forest Service Road #42 is the one closest to the summit. It is NORTH of the summit 9/10ths of a mile, so you have to hike south to the summit, then turn around and hike back to the parking area and then keep on going north.

FS #42 can be rough on vehicles. It's 8 miles of unpaved forest road, with some pretty big mud puddles here and there.

I recommend getting in touch with the Georgia AT Club for local road and trail conditions, etc.
GATC (http://www.georgia-atclub.org/)

Rain:sunMan

Jaybird
04-07-2010, 09:59
TNRED,

You can always sign in @ Amicalola Falls...& then drive to Springer Mtn...
the approach trail is 8.8miles & isnt included in your 2,175 mile journey
to Mt. K.

Good Luck with yer hike!:D

I'll be out there Apr 24-May 8...Clarks Valley,PA NOBO to Greenwood Lake,NY
w/ "Jigsaw"

white_russian
04-07-2010, 10:04
Another option is driving out part of the way on the Approach trail. It crosses several FS roads. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing kind of thing.

Tennessee Viking
04-07-2010, 11:15
It is allowed to cheat, hikers are allowed to take 42, walk up to the terminus, and officially start their trek. The register is under the top plaque and rocks in a metal box. GATC usually has a member up at the terminus or at Springer Shelter to take a roster of thru-hikers.

Definitely contact GATC, Chattahoochee Forest Service, and local shuttle services. From what I heard, 42 from Suches and Rock Creek is in bad shape. From Doublehead, heard it was driveable but still a bit rough.

Dances with Mice
04-07-2010, 11:21
Do not have to do the approach trail to sign the register on Springer, no.But beware, the register doesn't jump out at you. I was there twice, and missed it both times. It's "hidden" under a pile of cemented rocks. Not at all obvious.And there's another register at the Springer shelter a couple hundred yards away. You can sign it too.

They get spread a little further apart after that.

tennesseered
04-07-2010, 17:21
really really really aprreciate the info all! thank you so much! hike on

Boo-shay
11-08-2010, 19:50
May as well do it, all your gonna be seeing for quite a while are trails just as tough as the approach minus the stairs. The approach is EASY compared to whats in store for you thru Georgia, NC and Tenn.

DapperD
11-08-2010, 20:02
May as well do it, all your gonna be seeing for quite a while are trails just as tough as the approach minus the stairs. The approach is EASY compared to whats in store for you thru Georgia, NC and Tenn.Maybe he already did do it, in April:D.

Lone Wolf
11-08-2010, 21:24
The approach is EASY compared to whats in store for you thru Georgia, NC and Tenn.

i thought all the AT was easy til i reached southern Maine then it became a little tough:cool:

Sierra Echo
11-08-2010, 21:35
The road to Springer SUCKS!!!! all 10 miles of it!!! SUCKS!!!!!!

Lone Wolf
11-08-2010, 21:39
The road to Springer SUCKS!!!! all 10 miles of it!!! SUCKS!!!!!!

it's only 6 and in good shape usually

Sierra Echo
11-08-2010, 21:40
it's only 6 and in good shape usually

The road that i take off of Ga Hwy 53 says 10 miles. And it should be in great shape after i dragged all those massive road boulders off with me!

GeneralLee10
11-09-2010, 00:01
Sign:-? Sign what book:-?
really.... who in the heck really cares? you mite only make it to Franklin anyhow. That one signature of yours will not make or break you trust me on that my friend.:D:D I can tell you this there is NO gold medal for signing some book at the start, middle or finish. Just go walk till you can't walk anymore.

GeneralLee10
11-09-2010, 00:05
:eek:I need to read the dates on the threads more. :D