PDA

View Full Version : What happened to ultralight air mattresses?

Colter
10-14-2004, 16:54
I was just stowing some of my backpacking gear and came across my old ultralight air mattress. Remember the ones where each chamber blows ups separately?

Mine is 3/4 length, is about 3" thick at the thickest part, inflated, and weighs, get this, only 9.6 oz!

I remember my dad raving about how comfy that pad was, and I slept on it many, many nights. Never did get a hole in it.

When it comes down to it, I guess I got sidetracked from this airmattress when I was doing some cold weather mountaineering and needed more insulation. But for warm weather, doesn't this STILL seem like a great way to get maximum comfort per oz?

True, you could get a hole in them if you're not careful, but the individual chambers means you'd still get a good night's sleep.

What think ye?

Youngblood
10-14-2004, 17:03
I was just stowing some of my backpacking gear and came across my old ultralight air mattress. Remember the ones where each chamber blows ups separately?

Mine is 3/4 length, is about 3" thick at the thickest part, inflated, and weighs, get this, only 9.6 oz!

I remember my dad raving about how comfy that pad was, and I slept on it many, many nights. Never did get a hole in it.

When it comes down to it, I guess I got sidetracked from this airmattress when I was doing some cold weather mountaineering and needed more insulation. But for warm weather, doesn't this STILL seem like a great way to get maximum comfort per oz?

True, you could get a hole in them if you're not careful, but the individual chambers means you'd still get a good night's sleep.

What think ye?

Colter, those have make a comeback in recent years, but not necessarily with individual air chambers. Big Agnes, Pacific Outdoors Equipment and probably a few others make them. But I don't recall them being quite that light.

Youngblood

jlb2012
10-14-2004, 19:12
see the posts by Gardenvillle - for example Whiteblaze homemade gear forum (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5394) or The Lightweight Backpacker link (http://www.backpacking.net/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=52242&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1)

TDale
10-15-2004, 08:40
Pacific Outdoors has an Insul-mat full length, 2.5" thick air mat at 18 oz. I think.