PDA

View Full Version : Fujifilm FinePix XP10

See Bee
04-07-2010, 10:17
When I saw this camera at Best Buy, I started drooling immediately. Has anybody here purchased this beauty yet? Waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof, dustproof.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/xp/finepix_xp10/

Lyle
04-07-2010, 10:27
I have used several of Fujifilm's FinePix cameras in their "S" series. These were all very good cameras which took excellent quality photos. They are larger than they typical pocket camera though. No experience with this particular model. Let us know how you like it if you try it out.

zelph
04-09-2010, 11:16
I have not. I would suggest getting a camera with a lens cover. I'm so glad my FinePix 205 has one. It has served me well for 5 years. The lens cover has many scratches:eek: Just glad the lens is still without a scratch. It has the macro feature that allows close ups of plants/flowers and butterflies and stoves:rolleyes:

10-K
04-09-2010, 11:45
That is a nice looking camera.

Wonder how many pictures you could get with the NP-45A Li-ion battery in warm weather?

solstice
06-12-2010, 22:22
I bought it today, to test drive it this month on the Approach Trail as well as a place called Sliding Rocks Park (I think that's the name). I'll be sure to give a review on the features and it's waterproof-ability; I bought the camera in anticipation of my thru-hike (it seems like it's tailor-made for hikers!), because as much as I ADORE my Lumix (Leica Lens = <3), I just don't know if I can put it through such a grueling trip.

I'll also try to see if I can take some photos during a typical Florida afternoon downpour to see how well the finepix holds up.

LIhikers
06-13-2010, 19:03
Not too long ago I bought a camera that doesn't use AA or AAA batteries and I'm sorry I did. The camera doesn't seem to get as many photos as they say it will on the battery. On a long hike you'd have to have the charger available occasionally instead of just replacing a standard sized battery.

Rocketman
06-13-2010, 20:50
I'm looking at the Fuji FinePix S1800 with AA batteries, a through the lens eye viewer as well as the standard LCD display on the back, and a whole bunch of more of the usual modern features. 18X optical zoom, about 12 Megapixels and the 35 mm equivalent of a 28mm wide angle lens.

My first three buying guidelines are AA batteries, better than 5X zoom and absolutely an eyelevel finder.

solstice
06-29-2010, 15:33
I bought it today, to test drive it this month on the Approach Trail as well as a place called Sliding Rocks Park (I think that's the name). I'll be sure to give a review on the features and it's waterproof-ability; I bought the camera in anticipation of my thru-hike (it seems like it's tailor-made for hikers!), because as much as I ADORE my Lumix (Leica Lens = <3), I just don't know if I can put it through such a grueling trip.

I'll also try to see if I can take some photos during a typical Florida afternoon downpour to see how well the finepix holds up.

Alright! So this is a tad late, but I did want to give the feedback on the camera, as I promised. Here is a link to the photo album; it contains a few photos taken with my Lumix, but the majority are taken with the Finepix. You can see the difference in quality. Note: I used the Scene Recognition/Auto setting for everything.

- I love that it is waterproof. I brought the Finepix along for my Amicalola-to-Springer-and-back day hike, and it rained pretty hard for about an hour straight in the afternoon. I kept the camera out the entire time, taking both photos and HD video. As can be expected, I had some issues with rain getting on the lens (the lens is pretty much exposed to the elements when the camera is on or not).

- It most certainly is shockproof, as advertised. I visited Flat Rock Park (not Sliding Rocks, heh) in Georgia, and bumped it against the rocks quite a few times while filming my slides down the rocks. It now has a few battle scars, but performed like a champ.

- I hate the audio it delivers in video. I took many HD videos during my hike, and when I got home to upload them, I was disheartened to discover a strange electrical pulse throughout most of the videos, and the camera recorded (loudly!) the sound of me touching the end-record button. Videos that might have been beautiful, recording the morning sounds of birds, running water, and the wind in the trees were rendered all but unusable by the whirring of whatever ungodly gizmos that inhabited the camera.

- It takes great video. Aside from the horrible audio recording, the quality (using HD) of the video is great. It performed very well in close-range/macro video (took a video of a snail about 3 inches away: watch it in HD! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9oD1h79RSk). It has good stabilizing, too.

- Takes decent photos. Mind you, I am absolutely spoiled rotten by my Lumix, so this part is probably biased. The Finepix takes good photos, don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't capture the drama of, say, an early morning, sun-dappled trail. The Fujinon lens does strange things with light under the auto setting of the camera. It does NOT capture sun rays well at all, and it does not capture mixed-light scenes well. It does, however, run circles around my Lumix at ultra-zoomed/close range/macro shots. I think this is where the camera really excels. You can shove the camera less than 2 inches away from your subject and it will get all the fine details. It also has a nice depth of field on auto.

- I do not like that the lens has no cover. I think the fact that it doesn't is attributed to its waterproof status, but it increases the 'smudge' factor, and the likelyhood of a scratched lens.

Franco
06-29-2010, 19:40
That "lens" you refer to is not part of the lens but a separate piece of protective glass.
With some brands it can be replaced for a modest fee.

Franco

solstice
06-29-2010, 20:02
That "lens" you refer to is not part of the lens but a separate piece of protective glass.
With some brands it can be replaced for a modest fee.

Franco

Thanks for the correction. ;)

WalkingStick75
06-29-2010, 21:08
Its a great camera battery is good I took about 160 pictures before it was time to change batteries.

Franco
06-29-2010, 22:55
I still use an ancient Pentax WP ( from early this century) . That has a similar type of protection.
I am not that careful with it (it usually ends up in my pocket or a pocket in my pack without any protection) , it is still like new .
I have a silicone cover over mine (it is slippery otherwise) but the exposed metal areas are scratched, so I am rather pleased with that "scratch proof" glass.
(that metal ring over the glass seems to offer some good protection for my kind of use)
Before silicone covers and non slip surfaces were "invented" we used to stick cloth tape on them to get some grip.
Franco