PDA

View Full Version : Stupid or Not Stupid

sidebackside
04-07-2010, 10:52
I know the old saying about bears,"They're just as scared of you, if not more, than you are of them." I myself have had several encounters with black bears up in the Smokies. I just can't help but think...this could have turned out bad for several reasons.

http://ow.ly/1vvNJ

Manwich
04-07-2010, 11:14
appears to be a populated area... barbed wire fence, a bunch of cars. bears that become brave and brazen to human interaction are the real danger... that's why they're often killed if they're repeat offenders in civilization.

out in the woods, they'll usually run away when a butterfly farts

sidebackside
04-07-2010, 11:51
This video was shot in Cades Cove in the Smokies, so yes, it is very populated. One reason it could've turned out bad was...you can clearly hear dogs barking in the background. So what would've happened if the bear went after one of them...would they have to put the bear down? Just doesn't seem like a great idea.

Manwich
04-07-2010, 11:59
That videos 2 years old. Bear's probably already been shot

Rain Man
04-07-2010, 15:24
If it had been some Nervous Nellie packing heat "for protection," he probably would've shot the bear and claimed the bear was attacking him. Thankfully, the only thing shot was some video footage.

Rain:sunMan

sidebackside
04-07-2010, 17:04
If it had been some Nervous Nellie packing heat "for protection," he probably would've shot the bear and claimed the bear was attacking him. Thankfully, the only thing shot was some video footage.

Rain:sunMan

I agree Rain Man.

Bear Cables
04-07-2010, 17:09
I recommend everyone to go to Bear.org and read some of the research on Black Bears. They address different bear behaviors.

Manwich
04-08-2010, 20:59
http://lordofweasels.net/files/ad978408a34a71c6805e89b1c1c32470.gif

this is relevant.

sidebackside
04-08-2010, 22:51
Good video Manwich. That cat is either really brave or retarded.

TIDE-HSV
04-09-2010, 10:41
The cat is just doing what cats do when cornered...

sidebackside
04-09-2010, 11:23
The cat is just doing what cats do when cornered...

I agree TIDE that cats will do that when they're cornered. But if you watch the video clearly...when the bear first comes up on the porch the cat takes off after the bear.

yappy
04-09-2010, 11:27
people need to STOP leaving their garbage out . duh ! Amazing cat tho

TIDE-HSV
04-09-2010, 11:37
I've had cats feisty enough to do that. Our present cat, an over-sized outdoor Maine Coon would be up $hit Creek, since he couldn't climb a tree if his life depended on it - and he's no fighter... :)

Graywolf
04-09-2010, 11:46
I recommend everyone to go to Bear.org and read some of the research on Black Bears. They address different bear behaviors.

Hey Cables, Thanks for posting that site..I posted it in another thread..Very good information and one I think any respecting hiker should take a look at..

Graywolf

Migrating Bird
04-09-2010, 19:12
A few years ago, I had the pleasure of sitting through a slide show presentation conducted by Dr. Rodgers and discussing the tragic death of a baby by a black bear which took place shortly before the presentation in the Catskills, NY. The thing that stuck with me was how he explained that Black Bears, over the last 400 years have changed from a fight animal to a flight animal. That female Black Bears with cub(s) are not as protective of their cubs as Grizzly Bears and prefer to runaway rather than stay and fight.

Regarding the cat, I grew up with a cat that had a tough reputation. My friends would not bring their dogs to my house regardless the size because my cat would send em packing.