PDA

View Full Version : Resuppling at/around Port Clinton

Spot In The Sky
04-07-2010, 11:51
Going Southbound, it seems like there are a lot of towns before Port Clinton that may be better to resupply at, should I just skip over Port Clinton or just get a mail drop there?

10-K
04-07-2010, 11:53
I hiked from Delaware Water Gap to Pen Mar Park last July and sent myself a mail drop to the outfitter in Port Clinton. I was glad I did.

While you're there, be sure to go to the Three C's restuarant - awesome, awesome breakfast. Just keep walking past the Pavillion and you'll eventually come to it.

Blissful
04-07-2010, 20:15
Mail drop is easy there - PO is right off the trail

Jim Adams
04-07-2010, 20:29
big supermarket is just up the road a couple of miles...easy hitch.

geek

Migrating Bird
04-07-2010, 20:54
If you go to Ye Old Backpacker in Port Clinton, be on guard, you may or may not have a pleasant experience!

Railroad King
04-10-2010, 21:27
Yep, really nice grocery store up the road. One of the best ones I ever saw close to the trail.

fiddlehead
04-11-2010, 02:32
Yep, really nice grocery store up the road. One of the best ones I ever saw close to the trail.

Must be a new one.
Directions please!

ps. i recommend a mail drop here. It's better than trying to hitch into Pine Grove or Slatington/Palmerton

Pickleodeon
04-11-2010, 10:15
like others have said, it's an easy hitch up the road to Kings (I think it's still King's or Weis) in Hamburg. There's also a Cabela's which is a "fun" stop, depending on what you're into.

If it were me, I'd probably hitch, it's a high traffic area. I got off the trail though and stopped home for a few days cause I live nearby. :)

Also, I second what Migrating Bird said up there ^. Don't expect much.

10-K
04-11-2010, 11:06
like others have said, it's an easy hitch up the road to Kings (I think it's still King's or Weis) in Hamburg. There's also a Cabela's which is a "fun" stop, depending on what you're into.

If it were me, I'd probably hitch, it's a high traffic area. I got off the trail though and stopped home for a few days cause I live nearby. :)

Also, I second what Migrating Bird said up there ^. Don't expect much.

When I hiked through there they were working on the bridge and it was just too dangerous.

The outfitter wanted $10 for a 2 mile shuttle (one way!).

That's why I'm glad I sent a mail drop.

emerald
04-11-2010, 22:28
Improvements to the bridge deck which carries PA 61 over Schuylkill River are now complete.

It may be possible to catch a BARTA bus from Cabela's to Redner's Warehouse Markets and then another back. I posted a link to a map of the route some time ago. See my post entitled Connecting with BARTA's Route 20.

According to BARTA with whom I just spoke, riders will be expected to pay the full fare, $1.60, each way, unless they have made prior arrangements. Packs are allowed at the discretion of the driver, but are not apt to be an issue.

At some point in the not too distant future The Schuylkill River Trail segment south of the existing Bartram Trail will link Port Clinton with Hamburg. Bartram Trail is crossed by the A.T. just south of Reading and Northern's tracks and now goes as far as Kernsville Dam.

XCskiNYC
04-11-2010, 23:24
Buses leave from Cabela's parking lot for Reading five minutes past the hour at intervals between one to five hours:

http://www.bartabus.com/Schedules/New%20BARTA/2007/September/BARTA-Rt20_9_07.pdf

Carl Biebers Trailways goes from Reading to Philly:

http://www.biebertourways.com/Home.aspx?Id=1

XCskiNYC
04-11-2010, 23:26
RE the above BARTA bus, no service on Sunday.

The Trailways from Reading to Philly only goes twice a day on Sat/Sun.

Jim Adams
04-12-2010, 07:08
The large supermarket that I used in 2002 is still only a couple miles up the road...less than 3 if I remember correctly.

geek

emerald
04-12-2010, 21:03
Bieber Trailways (http://www.capitoltrailways.com/default.html) (Click on Scheudled Line Service) provides bus service to many other locations too including New York.

Appalachian Tater
04-12-2010, 21:12
Carl Bieber provides bus service to many other locations too including New York.
New York is a great place to resupply but there is a grocery store in the next town over from Port Clinton so you don't have to go that far.

Whole Foods in Tribeca has bulk goods if you want that and Trader Joe's is great for dried fruit, nuts, bars, etc. The also have whole wheat couscous, quinoa, rice pasta, granola, etc.

There is also an organic farmer's market, a decent outfitter, health food stores, a small food co-op, big grocery stores, etc.

Also you can go to the beach by hopping on the subway.

Bags4266
04-12-2010, 21:15
How did this thread drift from Port Clinton Pa to NYC ???

Appalachian Tater
04-12-2010, 21:17
How did this thread drift from Port Clinton Pa to NYC ???See post #14.

emerald
04-12-2010, 21:19
The most convenient are Duncannon, Port Clinton and Delaware Water Gap.

Bags4266
04-12-2010, 21:20
LOL. Ok so my next question is how did post #14 come into play?

Appalachian Tater
04-12-2010, 21:22
That grocery store in Duncannon is wonderful. I spent over two hours in there.

emerald
04-12-2010, 21:23
LOL. Ok so my next question is how did post #14 come into play?

It follows from #12.

The Trailways from Reading to Philly only goes twice a day on Sat/Sun.

ki0eh
04-12-2010, 22:12
When SEPTA ran to Pottsville, did it stop in Port Clinton?

emerald
04-12-2010, 22:18
I believe a PM about something you inquired recently will appear in your Inbox in about 5 minutes.

Bags4266
04-12-2010, 22:33
Spot in the Sky, where are you on this one? Little back up would help here.

We are starting South of Port Clinton PA for assistance and somehow winding up in NYC...

emerald
04-12-2010, 22:38
Get over it and post something useful to someone. There is less drift in this thread than most and it isn't SF.

Going Southbound, it seems like there are a lot of towns before Port Clinton that may be better to resupply at, should I just skip over Port Clinton or just get a mail drop there?

Jack Tarlin
04-13-2010, 13:41
It is not that difficult to get a ride to nearby Hamburg to re-supply. Or one can send a small parcel to the Port Clinton Post office, which is yards off the Trail.

This is not that complicated an issue.

emerald
04-13-2010, 15:42
There are many options at Port Clinton, perhaps too many for well-informed and indecisive hikers.

Hiker8261
04-13-2010, 21:35
There were several hikers last year that said the Cabelas would pick you up in Port Clinton if you called. There were better resupply options near that store. I did not do it so I can't independently verify it.
I bought a couple candy bars at the candy shop next to the motel but that was about it.

chris

nox
04-14-2010, 21:21
I stopped by the outfitter in port clinton yesterday attempting to get fuel... they are closed. I'm not sure how long they have been closed but the post office confirmed it. Looks like you will need to hitch a ride to cabelas and pay $8 for a fuel canister like me and my buddies had to.

Panzer1
04-14-2010, 22:02
the trail goes right past the post office. a mail drop would be quick and easy there. hard to turn that one down.

Panzer

Panzer1
04-14-2010, 22:04
I don't like the hitch into hamburg. Its a very high speed road.

Panzer

emerald
04-14-2010, 22:12
Options are good. Convenient access to a post office or walk, hitch a ride or take public transportation to 1 of 2 supermarkets. There ought to be an option satisfactory to everyone.

At some point, we could provide an article and map about hiker services at Port Clinton, but what's in ALDHA's Companion and word-of-mouth is probably more than enough information already and it's updated annually.

Appalachian Tater
04-14-2010, 22:14
Seems like the diner or the hotel would be a good place to ask for a ride to Hamburg.

Spot In The Sky
04-15-2010, 07:13
Wow quite the convo this has turned in to!
It seems like there ARE supply options in Port Clinton but none that are as easy as a mail drop. Why should I waste so much time in Port Clinton trying to hitch, or walking off the trail, or waiting for a bus if the trail goes right past the post office? I think Im going to go with a mail drop...unless people know something about that specific post office that could convince me otherwise, like funky hours?

Spot In The Sky
04-15-2010, 08:04
I guess Im just not clear on whats best to do in this area...is there a better place that I should resupply before or after and just go straight through Port Clinton without stopping or should i mail drop here for a few days of supplies and resupply again at Duncannon? Does it make a difference?

Migrating Bird
04-15-2010, 08:10
If you go to the P.O. in Port Clinton and are in need of a haircut, the barber across the street is worth the visit.

emerald
04-15-2010, 17:08
I think Im going to go with a mail drop...unless people know something about that specific post office that could convince me otherwise, like funky hours?

Good that settles it! If the answer isn't in ALDHA's Companion, I'll call them for you.

dzierzak
04-16-2010, 13:52
Thru-Hikers Companion 2010-

Port Clinton, Pa. [P.O. ZIP 19549: M–F 7:30–12:30 & 2–5, Sa 8–11; (610) 562-3787]

emerald
04-16-2010, 13:56
Thanks!:)

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Pickleodeon
04-17-2010, 15:30
seriously, dude.. hitch. it's like 5 minutes up the road. Or if you're super desperate, i will personally come and pick you up.

Hitch.That's the easiest thing to do. END OF THREAD.

dperry
04-19-2010, 01:05
When SEPTA ran to Pottsville, did it stop in Port Clinton?

No. They did stop in Auburn and Hamburg.

http://www.svmetro.com/septawatch/schedules/reading-1969-08-03.php

BAG "o" TRICKS
04-19-2010, 10:07
I stopped by the outfitter in port clinton yesterday attempting to get fuel... they are closed. I'm not sure how long they have been closed but the post office confirmed it. Looks like you will need to hitch a ride to cabelas and pay $8 for a fuel canister like me and my buddies had to.

For good, do you know?

10-K
04-19-2010, 10:10
For good, do you know?

website gone too...

BAG "o" TRICKS
04-19-2010, 10:55

Palmerton is great place to stay (Jailhouse Hostel) and resupply. Hitch to town is easy, just stand at Wieder's bridge traffic light and smile at the driver waiting at the red light. It's pretty easy getting back hitching off of main street in town. In Port Clinton you can't beat a maildrop as the PO is only 30yards off the trail. Resupplying there you have two supermarkets King's (in the town of Hamburg) approximately 3miles (is okay), and if you need to do some laundry while shopping it's right next door. Then there is Redners market 4miles down Route 61 past Cabela's and I-78 (very good) with a Pharmacy, Dollar General, and State (package) store across the street. Hitching is 'very' tough along Route 61 'in' Port Clinton (single lane) unless you walk a few hundred yars south down 61 to where the 'AT' hiker parking lot is. There anyone who may want to pick you up will have a place to pull over and not have to worry about getting rear ended. The absolute 'best bet' is to walk to the corner of Broad Street (just past P.O.) and Route 61. Wait a few minutes at the stop sign and put your thumb out when a local drives up the street, works everytime. Do the same at the exit from the supermarket. Just make sure they see your backpack. Outffiter last year I heard charged $10 or $11 both ways per person:eek:. I don't recommend walking to supermarket as 61 goes to a four lane just outside of town. If you plan to shop at Cabela's (no real resupply food except the dehydrated stuff) you can call Cabela's. Last year "if their driver was not busy" Cabela's would pick-up hikers in a 15 passenger van at the church pavilion (hiker shelter) on Penn Street. If the driver was nice and had time and a maybe a nice tip;) he may even take you to the grocery store.

BAG "o" TRICKS
04-19-2010, 10:58
website gone too...
well I guess what goes around comes around. thanks for info.

BAG "o" TRICKS
04-19-2010, 11:02

Palmerton is great place to stay (Jailhouse Hostel) and resupply. Hitch to town is easy, just stand at Wieder's bridge traffic light and smile at the driver waiting at the red light. It's pretty easy getting back hitching off of main street in town. In Port Clinton you can't beat a maildrop as the PO is only 30yards off the trail. Resupplying there you have two supermarkets King's (in the town of Hamburg) approximately 3miles (is okay), and if you need to do some laundry while shopping it's right next door. Then there is Redners market 4miles down Route 61 past Cabela's and I-78 (very good) with a Pharmacy, Dollar General, and State (package) store across the street. Hitching is 'very' tough along Route 61 'in' Port Clinton (single lane) unless you walk a few hundred yars south down 61 to where the 'AT' hiker parking lot is. There anyone who may want to pick you up will have a place to pull over and not have to worry about getting rear ended. The absolute 'best bet' is to walk to the corner of Broad Street (just past P.O.) and Route 61. Wait a few minutes at the stop sign and put your thumb out when a local drives up the street, works everytime. Do the same at the exit from the supermarket. Just make sure they see your backpack. Outffiter last year I heard charged $10 or $11 both ways per person:eek:. I don't recommend walking to supermarket as 61 goes to a four lane just outside of town. If you plan to shop at Cabela's (no real resupply food except the dehydrated stuff) you can call Cabela's. Last year "if their driver was not busy" Cabela's would pick-up hikers in a 15 passenger van at the church pavilion (hiker shelter) on Penn Street. If the driver was nice and had time and a maybe a nice tip;) he may even take you to the grocery store.