PDA

View Full Version : Brown Gap to Lemon Gap (Max Patch)

Ham-Bone
04-07-2010, 14:48
I'm taking my 6-year-old on his first overnight trip this weekend. It's a short hike: Brown Gap to Lemon Gap. We will camp at a camp site at Max Patch and spend the evening on the summit. I always love the information I get here; so, I'm open to hearing any notes or comments. One specific question, does anyone know if the water source at Roaring Fork Shelter reliable; and are there any more sources between Brown Gap and Roaring Fork?

Tennessee Viking
04-07-2010, 15:40
There is a small spring near the old berry match at the northside of Max Patch. Then after you cross the forest road nearing Roaring Fork you come across numerous water crossings. The shelter's source is one of the main streams in the valley. You will walk beside it to the shelter for a short distance.

Be sure to keep updated on the I40 conditions since its still not open. NC DOT says the exit for Harmon Den isn't open.

Ox97GaMe
04-08-2010, 05:08
also be aware that there are a large number of blow downs in the region between I-40 and Hot Springs. It may take you longer than anticipated to make that trip if you have to climb over and around trees. Carolina Mountain Club is trying to get in to them, but having issues due to the I-40 closure.

also be aware that although there IS a road from Max Patch to Brown's Gap, it is barely passible with 4WD in good conditions. There are likely to be a lot of trees down along that road, so you will need to go over to Harmen Den Rd and up to Brown Gap from there.

Kerosene
04-08-2010, 10:40
What a perfect hike for a dad and his 6yo! Hopefully you'll get some nice weather and you'll have enough daylight to hike as slowly as needed. The walk from the Max Patch parking lot to Roaring Fork is about as easy as it gets for the AT, and from there to Lemon Gap is also pretty easy (but it took me a bit longer than I expected for some reason). Water was plentiful last Fall, when many springs tend to dry up.

Ham-Bone
04-08-2010, 12:07
Thank you all.....I think my shuttle driver is prepared for the rough road conditions to Brown's Gap. And I'll be taking the Newport exit off of I-40 on the TN side of the slide and driving to Lemon Gap from there. Looks like we'll have plenty of sunshine to take it slow and climb under/over trees.

Ham-Bone
04-12-2010, 11:06
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=605625&id=1316397605&fbid=1256997467829

Ham-Bone
04-12-2010, 11:12
This was a wonderful experience for my 6-year-old. Tried to upload of photo of him flying a kite on Max Patch (failed).

I was surprised about how well he handled it. As long as you can keep a young-one entertained, they can handle the physical part of a hike.