PDA

View Full Version : Not looking too good

Just Plain Jim
04-07-2010, 16:19
5 weeks ago I went under the knife due to an injury while running. The Dr. said that I would be up and moving in no time.
It turned out to be my acl, meniscus, torn cartilige and arthritis.
My plan was to hike part of the Long Trail in August.
Right now my plan is to be able to walk without pain. I've always trained before I did a long hike but I've only got 4 months.
Man, this sounds pitiful when I read it back but I just want to get this story told.

Blissful
04-07-2010, 16:23
Give yourself time to heal and return slowly. May need to adjust hiking plans if needed.

Hikes in Rain
04-07-2010, 16:28
Sometimes you just need to talks about problems with a sympathetic group. Blissful is right; if you do hike, you may need to go slower and shorter. Or postpone it. I can sympathize, entirely. I had to postpone my trip last year, not due to personal injury, but because of a death in the family.

Injuries take time, but then you already know that. Just think of us as a big extended therapy group!

Snowleopard
04-07-2010, 16:39
Sorry about that, JustPlainJim. I'd aim for the most complete recovery, whatever that takes, and I'd go by the expert's opinion (the Doctor, not WB). Better to delay the hike than aggravate the injury or slow healing. The trail will still be there.
If you can hike but you're not in condition for the Long Trail without risking injury, look for a flatter trail.

Jeff
04-07-2010, 16:45
A section hike on the Florida Trail in October/November may be a better goal.

Hikes in Rain
04-07-2010, 16:47
I notice you're in Alabama, so that might be an option. The sections through Eglin or the areas around Econfina Creek in the panhandle are pretty nice, and surprisingly "wild".

The Solemates
04-07-2010, 17:23
5 weeks ago I went under the knife due to an injury while running. The Dr. said that I would be up and moving in no time.
It turned out to be my acl, meniscus, torn cartilige and arthritis.
My plan was to hike part of the Long Trail in August.
Right now my plan is to be able to walk without pain. I've always trained before I did a long hike but I've only got 4 months.
Man, this sounds pitiful when I read it back but I just want to get this story told.

at 70 i just hope to be living, much less hiking the long trail. good for you! keep your spirits up!

Kerosene
04-07-2010, 19:07
at 70 i just hope to be living, much less hiking the long trail. good for you! keep your spirits up!70 is the new 50, and 50 is the new 30, but lately I feel more like 60. :eek:

neighbor dave
04-07-2010, 19:20
70 is the new 50, and 50 is the new 30, but lately I feel more like 60. :eek:
:-? mind games are fine as long as you still have one when you hit 70, or 50:eek::D

TIDE-HSV
04-07-2010, 21:15
Hi Jim, I'm also 70, live in Huntsville and have had ACL/meniscus/MCL reconstruction on my left knee. Feel free to shoot me a PM and we can hook up and talk...

Blissful
04-07-2010, 21:19
70 is the new 50, and 50 is the new 30, but lately I feel more like 60. :eek:

Yeah my limbs are feeling like that. I keep telling myself, c'mon - one more time!

Just Plain Jim
04-10-2010, 13:46
Went to see the Doc. Thursday morning. He surprised me by telling me to stop all therapy except for one exercise for 2 weeks. Then he got out the needle and loaded me up with steroids. Today's Saturday and things are looking up. the pain is slight. Maybe he knows what he's doing. I've tallked to him about my August plans and he thought i would be able to. :-?
We'll see. I'll let ya'll know.
Thanks for the encouragment.
JPJ