PDA

View Full Version : NOC's Great Outpost in Gatlinburg is a new maildrop

Tomcat
04-07-2010, 16:38
Noc's new outpost in gatlinburg is open seven days a week and is now a mail drop for thru hikers. The address there is 1138 Parkway, Gatlinburg, TN 37738. They also have free showers, wifi, computer access and free shuttles to Newfound Gap at 8 am / 12 noon / 4 pm - you just have to sign up at their front desk. Super nice folks - they just opened and are on the rightside as you exit the park in Gatlinburg. They are supposed to also be able to ship outbound soon. Huge store - AT alumi working there!

SGT Rock
04-07-2010, 16:42
They said you could also lock up your pack there while shopping in town.

Praha4
04-07-2010, 16:42
great news, sometimes not easy to catch a ride or shuttle at Newfound gap

SGT Rock
04-07-2010, 16:45
When I talked to Doug there, he said he wasn't sure how long they could do free shuttles for. But I bet the price wouldn't be too much.

Graywolf
04-11-2010, 23:23
This is great news, especially with my upcoming section hike..Great..Thanks Tomcat..

Graywolf

SMSP
04-12-2010, 00:24
Located on right as your leaving the park?
The location must be that large restautant building that was vacant and going under renovation this past 10-2009. Sounds like they are also walking distance to the Happy Hiker. Free shuttles to Newfound Gap parking lot is outstanding, but I wouldnt expect that to last long either. Looking forward to checking them out when I am there next.

SMSP

Spot In The Sky
04-12-2010, 05:50
Is this a town where it is worth sending a mail drop rather than resupplying in town?

SGT Rock
04-12-2010, 13:19
Is this a town where it is worth sending a mail drop rather than resupplying in town?

Maybe...

If you go into town there is a grocery store right across the street from the NOC, but it is small, there isn't a huge selection, and it is a little pricey.

If you plan to spend a lot of time in town you can take a trolley over to the large grocery store. Better selections, lots or supplies, normal prices.

So it depends on what you plan to do.

The other option is to leave Fontana with enough food to hike on thru. Depending on how fast you are hiking at that point, you can probably get it done with 5 days of food and get some chow when you get to Standing Bear.

No Directions
08-09-2013, 20:12
Does anyone know if NOC is still doing shuttles from Newfound Gap? I didn't see anything on their website.

Rasty
08-09-2013, 20:47
Does anyone know if NOC is still doing shuttles from Newfound Gap? I didn't see anything on their website.

They were in April. Ask at thr shop as it's first come first serve.

Sly
08-09-2013, 20:48
No Direction, I just called, the NOC no longer has a shuttle. You'll need to hitch (ask at the gap) or use A Walk In The Woods

No Directions
08-09-2013, 21:33
Thanks. I just sent WIW an email.