PDA

View Full Version : My AT Thru-Hike Gear List (A work in progress)

STICK
04-07-2010, 16:55
So, I have a gear list that I have started working on for my thru in 2013 (yes, 2013! Gotta start planning sometime though right?) I figure if I go ahead and compile a list now it will make it easier to know what I need to be saving for, and then just go down the list. I am quite certain that by the time my Thru is here some of the items on my list will be replaced by others, or simply left off. This is not a "definite list" but it is one that I feel comfy with right now.

I have put this together with some gear that I already have (however, a lot will be replaced as you will see), and by looking at other peoples gear list. I do not have measurements on it all and a few items I took measurements from the website or from peoples more accurate reviews (such as can be found at backpackgeartest.org).

I have 3 columns here. First is the gear, next is prices, and then last weights. The price list is incomplete since I have only listed prices for the things I still need to purchase (makes it easier for me to go down my list). Of course weights because I either couldn't find them or I will just need to weigh them once they are complete (such as the FAK, TP, and a total amount of batteries, etc...).

It wasn't all scrunched together on my Documnet Sheet, but this happened when I copied and pasted. Sorry if it's difficult to read. I bolded the prices and immediately following is the weights.

Also, the items that have the astricks (**) in front of them is part of the "10 Essential" items.

Pack:
Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone $229.00 3 lbs
**Sea To Summit Rain Cover $39.90 4 oz
**Trash Compactor Bag For Liner

Shelter:
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 1 $249.00 2 lb 6 oz
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 1 Footprint $44.95 5.5 oz
11 MSR Groundhog Stakes 7.8 oz

Sleeping:
Western Mountaineering Megalite (Regular, Left Hand Zip, w/ 2 oz Overfill) $354.95 1 lb 10 oz
Therm-A-Rest NeoAir (Small) $129.95 9 oz
Sea To Summit Silk Sleeping Bag Liner $59.50 4.4 oz
Pillow (Haven’t Decided Yet)

Kitchen:
700 ml Ti Cook Pot w/ Lid & Stuff Sack 4 oz
Ti Spork 0.5 oz
Optimus Crux Canister Stove 3.1 oz
4 oz Fuel Canister (or 8 oz ~ Depends) 6.9 oz
Primus Windscreen 2.3 oz
Homemade Tyvek cozy 1.8 oz
Regular Size Bic Lighter
Bandana

Water:
100 oz Camelbak Bladder w/ Shut-Off Valve & Bite Block 9.3 oz
**Aqua Mira Water Treatment Drops (2 oz) 3.1 oz
32 oz Gatorade Bottle

Miscellaneous:
Leki Corklite Aergon Speedlock Trekking Poles $119.90 1 lb 0.6 oz
**Eureka! Glide 51 Lantern/Flashlight (w/ Batteries) 3.9 oz
**Petzl Tactikka Plus Headlamp (w/ Batteries) $43.95 2.5 oz
2 oz Jungle Juice Insect Repellant (when needed) 2.9 oz
iPod w/ Ear Buds 1.6 oz
**Gerber Ultralight L.S.T. Knife $20.60 0.6 oz
Simblissity LevaGaiter $26.95 1.8 oz
Outsak UL (For Food Bag) 4.3 oz
1 20 x 12.5 LokSak To Line Outsak $11.75
60’ Of Rope For Food Bag
Bandana
**Sunglasses
Ear Plugs
Digital Camera
StickPic $11.99 0.35 oz
Assorted Ziplocs / Stuff Sacks / Carabineers As Needed

Navigation:
**Highgear Axio Max Altimeter Watch (w/ Compass) $139.00
**Maps w/ Elevation Profiles
**Guide Book Pages (Printed Out And In A Ziploc)

**First Aid Kit:
6” Ace Wrap
Mole Skin
Bandage Scissors
2 Straight Needles
10 Strands 30” Silk Thread
2 - 2” Gauze Pads
4 Alcohol Prep Pads
2 Packets Neosporin
10 Assorted Size Band-Aids
Triangle Bandage w/ 2 Safety Pins
6 - 25 mg Benadryl Tabs
10 - 800 mg Motrin Tabs
Multi-Vitamins
1 Roll of Rolaids
1 Benadryl Roll-On Stick
1 - 2” Roll of Kling Gauze
Duct Tape
Mueller Knee Brace

Personal Hygiene:
MSR Packtowl Ultra Light (Small) $13.95 0.7 oz
Small Toothbrush
Travel Size Toothpaste
Small Bottle of Germ-X
Toilet Paper
Wet Wipes In A Ziploc

Emergency / Extras:
**SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger $169.99 5.2 oz
Brunton Solaris Flexible Personal Solar Panel (?) 7.1 oz
**Swedish Steel Scout Model Fire Steel 0.9 oz
**REI Storm Proof Matches w/ Extra Striker 0.8 oz
**1 Package Wet Fire 0.2 oz
**Emergency Blanket
**Cell Phone
Extra Batteries
2 Rubber Bands
**Whistle
Small Journal with Pen

Clothing :
(Base Layer)
2 pair Under Armor Boxer Briefs
1 pair Patagonia Capilene 1 Long Pants (As Needed) $40.00 5.5 oz
1 Patagonia Capilene 1 Short Sleeve T-Shirt 5.1 oz
1 Patagonia Capilene 2 Long Sleeve Crew 5.8 oz
2 pair “Hiking Socks”
1 pair Columbia Omni-Dry Silver Ridge II Convertible Pants(w/ Belt) 12.65 oz

(Mid Layer)
1 pair Terramar Heavy-Weight Long Pants (As Needed) 7.9 oz
1 Patagonia R1 Flash Pullover (As Needed) 12.8 oz
1 Mont-bell Ex Light Down Jacket (As Needed) $164.95 5.6 oz

(**Rain Gear)
Outdoor Research Helium Jacket $139.95 6.8 oz
Sierra Designs Hurricane HP Rain Pants (Not Sure If Bringing) 7.8 oz
MLD eVent Mitts 1.2 oz

(**Sleeping / Town Clothes ~ Kept in Ziploc)
1 pair Under Armor Polyester Shorts
1 cotton T-Shirt
1 pair “Hiking Socks” (Can Be Used For Hiking If Needed)

(Other Misc. Clothing)
1 pair Outdoor Research PL150 Gloves (As Needed) 1.7 oz
Mountain Hardwear Dome Perignon Wind Stopper Boggin (As Needed) 2 oz
Under Armour Cold Gear Hood $24.99

Just a few notes:

I am wanting the GG Ozone because it has a frame and it is top-loading. I don't care about panel loaders, plus I will be using a trash compactor bag inside which would make the panel loader or sleeping bag compartment worthless. I have looked at the Vapor Trail but I am not sure I will have my pack weight to 30 lbs or less (water and food). (I have also looked at some of the ULA and MLD packs, but again I want a frame.) The Ozone seems to have a tad bit beefier suspension (over the Vapor Trail) which allows it to carry more of a 40 lb load, which would be good for when there are many days between resupply. I am hoping to have my typical pack weight at around 35 lbs (this is with full water and food, so hopefully closer between 30 - 35 lbs).

As for the tent, I have come to the conclusion that a tent will probably be easier for me, however I am still playing with my tarp. I am thinking that for my thru I will be happier with a tent. Once I decided this, I decided that I wanted a double wall "freestanding" tent. By this I mean basically the body is freestanding. However I will stake it out every chance I can.

So, I chose the Seed House SL 1 over the Fly Creek 1 because the Seed House is a few inches longer and it appears to be more-so free-standing without stakes (I'm not talking about the vestibule here). I also want to get the compatible footprint so that I will have the quick pitch option. (Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this tent capable of setting the fly up and then getting underneath and setting the tent up?) It seems to me that the Seed House SL 1 is about the lightest cheapest option (that fill my bill).

For my pad, I am going to go with the small size NeoAir, however once I come up with a total weight for everything, I may go with a medium. I'll just have to see if I want to add another 4 oz, but the extra $10 wouldn't be too bad. Also, I am going to try to get the extra 2 oz of overfill for the WM Megalite, which may drop it down another degree or two (from 30*) and plus the silk liner is said to add another 10* to the sleep system. I figure that for the colder nights I can use the bag, liner and the Ex Light jacket and I should stay pretty warm, especially in a double wall tent. I will probably keep the liner the whole trip, at least to keep my bag "cleaner."

I am bringing the Optimus Crux (canister stove) over alcohol because it seems more logical than carrying all the fuel with an alky stove. I am going to plan on using it rather infrequently, mostly at nights, so 4 or 8 oz canisters will depend on my next stop, or resupply. However, if I find an efficient alky stove that works well with the small diameter of my Ti pot (3 5/8") I may go with that. I just can't help but think the canister stove will be more efficient which equals lighter.

I am going to try to use Aqua Mira as it will be lighter than a filter. I have the drops, however may go with the tabs so that I can just drop one or two in my bladder. I also do not plan on carrying my bladder inside the hydration sleeve but rather in an outside pocket or somewhere that is more convenient for me to get to easily. However, since I am using a liner in my pack, it may be just as easy to carry it in the hydration sleeve, I'll just have to see. I am also carrying a 32 oz Gatorade bottle but am debating one of the Katadyn water filter bottles instead. Not sure yet.

I also have a flashlight and a headlamp listed. Not sure if I will carry the flashlight with this headlamp. The headlamp seems to offer a pretty bright light, so if so I will just carry the headlamp. (And it has the friendly red lens covering on it!)

I am choosing to carry an Outsak with an LokSak lining it. The Outsak weighs in at 4.3 oz so it is a little heftier than a simple food bag, but those little critters can't get in the Outsak. I love these bags! I will not use a carabiner with the Outsak either since it has a hang loop built in. (Save a smidgen of weight there!)

The watch that I want offers a compass and it says that the declination can even be set, so I do not plan on carrying a traditional compass. Also, I will only carry sections of the Thru-Hiker Companion inside a Ziploc. I am debating with the actual maps. I will probably have one thrown in my pack, however I will print the elevation profiles and keep them in the Ziploc with the Thru-Hiker Companion pages, and of course easily accessible.

I feel like my FAK and my Personal Hygiene list is adequate and will get weights on them eventually, however probably just total instead of individual weights.

For my "fire starters," lets see, I have a Bic listed in the kitchen area, and now a fire steel and the REI Storm Proof Matches. I think I will be covered. However for the weights on these pieces, I don't think that it will hinder me with the "extra" weight too much, so I am happy with the 3 forms of fire! I may change the Wet Fire for something else. When I went out and played with it I had a very difficult time trying (not succeeding) to light it with the fire steel, and then it didn't burn to well in water (which is what it is supposed to be for....) So, I'll see.

Clothes. I will probably start out with the Terramar heavy-weight pants and the cap 1 long pants, however I may just swap out the heavy weight for the lighter weight cap 1 pants when it starts warming up . I will also send the R1 pullover, the Ex Light jacket, gloves, boggin, and UA Cold Gear hood (which also converts to a neck gaiter) back when the temps start getting warm.

And, with the rain gear. I am debating the pants. I don't know if I want to carry pants, and if I do I would probably enjoy the full zip Marmot Precip pants more than the SD Hurricane pants which only unzip a few inches up from the bottom. Also, the OR Helium jacket looks pretty sweet for 6.8 oz, but I wonder what kind of rain will it really shed? Could I use this thing all day in rain? Any one have any use with this jacket or ones similar? One downfall I see is that it has no venting options, however at less than 7 oz, it may not need it......

I added up the stuff that I do have weights on that I will be carrying inside (and including) my pack (except for trekking poles [won't be carried], base & mid layers[these will be worn and swapped out], and sleeping clothes [don't have weights]) and it comes to 14.99 lbs. With all the other stuff I have listed I would assume it will come to another 4-6 lbs making my total "dry pack weight" around 19-21 lbs or so. I figure for the other clothes I am not wearing, around another 1-2 lbs, and then with water and food, I don't know. Maybe another 10-12 lbs with total food and water. So, lets just say the 15 lbs I have now, 6 lbs with other extras, 2 lbs for other clothes, and 12 lbs for food and water that would put me in the neighborhood of 35 lbs. About what I planned on at the beginning, hence the Ozone bag. What say your thoughts on these "calculations?"

So, here it is. I have made a few gear list, but I like this one better. So, pick through it and tell me what you think. And if you can answer any of the questions in my "notes."

Manwich
04-07-2010, 17:00
Looks good. Solar Panel is practically worthless. Far easier and lighter to charge/change batteries in town.

STICK
04-07-2010, 17:10
Cheaper and lighter! I am just worried about my iPod, however this is not a must have thing. I could leave this off and add the 4 oz for the medium NeoAir and still have 3 oz less.

rusty075
04-07-2010, 17:37
-I would verify that you can actually cook a "thru-hiker sized" meal in the 700ml pot. I've got a 900, and a box of mac-n-cheese plus tuna fills it right to the brim. Unless of course the cozy is for FBC, then 700ml would probably be enough for just boiling water.

-Don't worry about a separate pillow, you'll have a stuffsack with extra clothes/jacket to use.

-You're right to consider leaving the flashlight home. The headlamp is all you'll need.

-Swap sunscreen for the bug spray. People underestimate how much sun you get through the bare trees in the beginning. By the time the bugs come out you won't need the sunscreen.

-Some of your first-aid kit is probably overkill, but you should allow yourself to pare that down gradually as your comfort level increases. Most people find things like bandaids to be darn near useless. Duct tape and a piece of toilet paper with some neosporin on it makes a better wilderness bandaid.

-Ditto what Manwich said about the solar panel. I started off with one last year and eventually gave up on it. The camera will go hundreds of pics between charges, and the cellphone probably won't ever get turned on when in the woods, so you'll only need to charge it in town.

-The emergency blanket can safely stay home too.

-That's a lot of clothes. Unless you're planning on a very early start in 2013 you can skip most of that. Last year I carried: 2 pair of underwear, 1 pair of convertible pants, one pair of shorts (to wear in town doing laundry), 1 short sleeve shirt, 1 long sleeve shirt, 1 set of long underwear top & bottom, a rain jacket and a down jacket. Gloves and a hat are good, but the hood and the overmitts or overkill. Even in the cold you'll find that long pants and shirt, plus a rainjacket if it's windy, are all you'll probably wear while hiking, and the long underwear and insulated jacket will only be worn in camp.

Best advice for between now and then: Practice, practice, practice. Start finding opportunities to take the gear you have for weekend "test drives" in all sorts of weather. As you're unpacking after each trip analyse what worked, what didn't, and most importantly, what gear didn't get used at all.

STICK
04-07-2010, 18:03
Yes, I only plan to boil water in the pot. I don't care for cooking, then I have to clean the pot and also carry more supplies to clean the pot with. FBC is the way to go,at least for me (HYOH).

I have to have a pillow or my night is ruined. This is something I am willing to sacrifice a little weight to. And even with the little camping pillows it's still not great. So I am going to have to get a system for this. Also, I am hoping that I don't have enough "extra" clothes to make a pillow with. However what little clothes I may have left over, if any, I will ball up under my head.

I think that you are right about leaving the flashlight. The first headlamp I was looking at was not much of one which is why I have the flashlight listed, however this one seem like it will be bright enough for around camp as well as maybe some night hiking, which I will need I am sure for some nights. Anyone have experience with the Petzl Tactikka Plus Headlamp?

I will have a little sunscreen, I guess I forgot to add it. I'll add it now. Another thing I didn't list is a hat. I will have to go back and add that. I am looking at the OR Bug Bucket which has the no-see-um mesh for when the bugs are out!

As for the emergency blanket, I am not sure about that, but you are probably right on leaving it to.

I would like to leave at the beginning of March, so I will probably begin with 2 pair of undies, 3 pair of socks, the Columbia pants, the long sleeve Cap2, and R1 for hiking. And have the Ex Light and gloves for camp. Sleep in the heavy weight long pants and / or shorts with the cotton tee (for comfort). I can also wear the shorts and cotton tee while washing clothes. And of course the rain jacket I will always have he rain jacket on me. Like I said I am really debating leaving the rain pants all together. As it warms up I will send back the heavy weight pants and pick up the light weight pants and also send back the Ex Light jacket and gloves. I can keep the cap 2 and pick up the cap 1 also.

And oh yeah, I plan on practicing!

Windcatcher
04-07-2010, 18:43
Nice gear list, I'm working on my list constantly. I've found that your itinerary might influence what you carry as well. I'm interested in the comments on the solar charger though. If someone is planning more nights in town, then sure, but is a solar charger not effective on the trail?

STICK
04-07-2010, 19:22
The biggest reason I was thinking of the solar charger is for my iPod. I would not turn my phone on a lot, but this would be the other reason for it. The batteries in a SPOT last quite a while and it won't charge anyway, I don't think, but carrying spare batteries for it wont be bad. Same as with the headlamp, carry a few extra batteries.

mountain squid
04-07-2010, 19:27
Very good. Very thorough. Some observations:

30F bag might not be warm enough (or even a 28F) - early Mar may have single digits a few times
don't count on extra warmth from silk liner - it may and it may not
camp footwear
solar panel - with leaf cover will you get enough sunshine? I don't know?!?
never use sleeping socks for hiking - always keep dry
something to cover face when cold
leave cotton T
will you ever wear all those pants - if not, might be too many pairs

Concur:
sunscreen - until leaves come out
one light source is sufficient

Between now and 2013, make a trip to Mountain Crossings (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/about-us.aspx) preferably when thru hikers are going through. You'll learn alot. Also consider making a trip to TrailDays (http://www.traildays.us/).

Have Fun with the research and planning!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

STICK
04-07-2010, 20:03
I may have been a bit hasty stating March. While I wouldn't mind leaving in March, it could be the first week of April.

Others have mentioned me getting a 15* bag and a higher degree bag. I wuld love to, but for the moment trying to plan midways.

I didn't list my camp foot wear, forgot. For camp I will be bringing my Crocs. I love them at work as well as on the trail. Can't be beat, IMO. For hiking, I don't know. If I get my bag to 30 lbs I will probably try a trail runner. Right now I use a pair of Merrell Moab mid hiking boots, and I do love them. They fit perfectly. Never had 1 blister with them! But if my weight gets lower, I may as well use a lighter shoe too.

I doubt I will bring the solar panel, but am leaving it as an option. That will be one of the very last choices.

I don't plan on hiking in my sleeping socks, but it is an option. I have a lighter weight pair of wool socks that I usually bring for sleeping in, and If I needed they would do for hiking in, if needed. I like to keep all my sleeping clothes in a Ziploc by their self, and use them for just that.
As for covering the face, the UA Cold Gear Hood will do this:
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu88/STICK13/Various/UACGHood.jpg
Plus its also a neck gaiter.

As for cotton, I have carried a cotton tee for sleeping in and it just makes sleep better, unless it's hot and then I don't use a shirt. Again, I keep my sleeping gear in a Ziploc, so that it doesn't get wet.

Also, the pants will be changed out as needed. As the zip-off pants bottoms. I can send them back during the warm months. However, I like hiking in long pants. The Columbia's breath well and are really comfy for me.

The same with the sunscreen. I will use it as needed.

I love it at Mountain Crossings. And if it weren't for my back surgery yesterday I would be headed up there next month. And for Trail Days, since I may still be off with my back for this year, I may head up there for a few days. Am I allowed to set up my tent even though I am not hiking?

Blissful
04-07-2010, 20:14
2013 is a ways away and there will be new gear choices by then. If you haven't purchased some of these things, you might hold off for now. My error was getting things too soon when I had lighter choices later on.

STICK
04-07-2010, 21:04
This is true, but that also means that these things may be cheaper by then too! If I can't handle the trail with 35 lbs, maybe I shouldn't be out there to begin with.....Many people have carried much more.

I understand what you are saying, but honestly, If I could afford it I would go and buy this now, even if I didn't get to go on my hike til 2013.....

STICK
04-08-2010, 01:14
Here ia a link to an updated Gear List (I know, already!)

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Aah886ycFM9kZGdzOWd6al8xaGczZ3JuenA&hl=en

Silverbullet52
04-08-2010, 15:59
Sweet list ....

STICK
04-11-2010, 14:45
OK, so I changed a few things and removed some. Go ahead and tear it apart again! http://www.backpacker.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

Sticks AT Thru-Hike Gear List

Pack:
Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone $229.00 3 lbs
**MLD Med / Lg Pack Rain Cover $35 2.9 oz
**Trash Compactor Bag For Liner

Shelter:
Tarp Tent Moment $215.00 1 lb 12.5oz
Tyvek Groundsheet
MSR Groundhog Stakes (2) 1.42 oz

Sleeping:
(Winter bag)
Western Mountaineering Antelope Micro Fiber 5* $470.00 2 lb 10 oz
(Regular, Left Hand Zip, w/ 3 oz Overfill)
(Warm-weather bag)
Mont-bell U.L. Super Spiral Down Hugger # 3 $279.00 1 lb 5 oz
(Regular, Left Hand Zip)
Therm-A-Rest NeoAir (Small) $129.95 9 oz
Jagbag Endura Silk Hi Tech Mummy Bag Liner $46.70 4.75 oz

Kitchen:
700 ml Ti Cook Pot w/ Lid & Stuff Sack 4 oz
Ti Spork 0.5 oz
Optimus Crux Canister Stove 3.1 oz
4 oz Fuel Canister (or 8 oz ~ Depends) 6.9 oz
Primus Windscreen 2.3 oz
Homemade Tyvek Cozy 1.8 oz
Regular Size Bic Lighter
Bandana

Water:
100 oz Camelbak Bladder w/ Shut-Off Valve & Bite Block 9.3 oz
**Aqua Mira Water Treatment Drops (2 oz) 3.1 oz
32 oz Gatorade Bottle

Miscellaneous:
Leki Corklite Aergon Speedlock Trekking Poles $119.90 1 lb 0.6 oz
**Petzl Tactikka Plus Headlamp (w/ Batteries) $43.95 2.5 oz
2 oz Jungle Juice Insect Repellant (As Needed) 2.9 oz
**Travel Size Sun Block (As Needed)
iPod w/ Ear Buds 1.6 oz
**Gerber Ultralight L.S.T. Knife $20.60 0.6 oz
Simblissity LevaGaiter $26.95 1.8 oz
Outsak UL (For Food Bag) 4.3 oz
1 - 20 x 12.5 LokSak To Line Outsak $11.75
50’ Of Rope For Food Bag
**Sunglasses
Ear Plugs
Digital Camera
StickPic $11.99 0.35 oz
As Needed: Ziplocs / Stuff Sacks / Carabiners

Navigation:
**Highgear Axio Max Altimeter Watch (w/ Compass) $139.00
**Maps w/ Elevation Profiles
**Guide Book Pages(Printed Out And In A Ziploc)

**First Aid Kit:
6” Ace Wrap
Mole Skin
Bandage Scissors
2 Straight Needles
10 Strands 30” Silk Thread
2 - 2” Gauze Pads
4 Alcohol Prep Pads
2 Packets Neosporin
10 Assorted Size Band-Aids
6 - 25 mg Benadryl Tabs
10 - 800 mg Motrin Tabs
Multi-Vitamins
1 Roll of Rolaids
2 Safety Pins
Duct Tape
Mueller Knee Brace

Personal Hygiene:
MSR Medium Nano Packtowl 1.2 oz
Small Toothbrush
Travel Size Toothpaste
Small Bottle of Germ-X
Toilet Paper

Emergency / Extras:
**SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger $169.99 5.2 oz
**REI Storm Proof Matches w/ Extra Striker 0.8 oz
**1 Package Wet Fire 0.2 oz
**Cell Phone
**Whistle
Extra Batteries
2 Rubber Bands
Small Journal with Pen

Clothing :
(Base Layer)
2 Pair Under Armour Boxer Briefs
1 Patagonia Capilene 1 Short Sleeve T-Shirt 5.1 oz
1 Patagonia Capilene 2 Long Sleeve Crew 5.8 oz
2 Pair Smart Wool Medium Weight Hiking Socks 2.8 oz
1 Pair Columbia Omni-Dry Silver Ridge II Convertible Pants(w/ Belt) 12.65 oz

(Mid Layer)
1 Pair Terramar Heavy-Weight Long Pants 7.9 oz
1 Patagonia R1 Flash Pullover 12.8 oz
1 Mont-bell Ex Light Down Jacket $164.95 5.6 oz

(**Rain Gear)
Outdoor Research Helium Jacket $139.95 6.8 oz
MLD eVent Mitts (during cold months to layer over gloves) 1.2 oz

(**Sleeping / Town Clothes ~ Kept in Ziploc)
1 Pair Under Armour Polyester / Elastic Shorts
1 Cotton T-Shirt
1 Pair Wool Socks (Can Be Used For Hiking If Needed)

(Other Misc. Clothing)
Outdoor Research PL150 Gloves 1.7 oz
Mountain Hardwear Dome Perignon Wind Stopper Boggin 2 oz
Outdoor Research Ninjaclava $25.00 1.8 oz
Outdoor Research Bug Bucket Hat (Medium) $27.95 2.7 oz

(Shoes)
Crocs (For Camp)
(Still debating trail runners or light boots)

Will start ~ April.

Will always have: Both pair of undies & hiking socks, Columbia pants, OR Helium Jacket, sleeping clothes, OR Bug Bucket Hat and Crocs.

According to weather, will begin hike with Cap 2 long sleeve crew, all mid layers, OR PL150 gloves & eVent Mitts, MH boggin, and OR Ninjaclava.

As weather warms I will send the Ex Light jacket, gloves, boggin and the R1 back home and pick up the cap 1 ss T-shirt as well as keep the cap 2 ls crew.

As the weather begins to cool again, I will then begin replacing the mid layers and other misc. clothing.

On the SPOT, I am secretly hoping that my wife will be more comfy with me not using it (esp on the AT) but if its something she wants I will happily carry the 6 or so oz cause at least I'll be out there! And I would only use it under normal conditions each night at camp and/or am before I leave.

As for tents, they are really blowing my mind. I just don't want to be stuck somewhere where I "need" a freestanding tent, and of course I want it light which is why the 1 mans.

For footwear I am still debating. I am using my Merrells right now and they are very comfy, but I am planning on needing 3 -4 pair of shoes, so the extras will either be bought before hand or budgeted in for during. I am carrying my Crocs for around camp.

I have changed my sleeping bag in the newer list. I have a 5* WM and the 30* Montbell. I don't mind the expensive bags since I figure they will last, and since I have 3 years to buy them! (If 5* is too much, the next up would be the 10* WM Versalite (again w/ overfill~it's free at Hermits Hut), and if this is too much, the 15* Marmot Helium.)

I didn't think the Ozone had many features. I thought it was pretty much stripped down and only had the top opening, which is what I want. I am thinking about keeping the tent on the outside of the pack so it will be easy access without opening my bag and getting all my stuff inside wet. But I still want a rain cover to fit over it.
Also, (how does this sound?) If I do keep my tent on the outside of my pack (giving me more room inside my pack) and get my base weight to around 18 lbs, would the Vapor Trail pack be a better option?

I am debating the Gatorade bottles over the Camelbak.

Those Leki poles use the Flick Lock technology the same as the BD's.

I have the PT Fuel headlamp, but I was wanting something with a red light. If I carry the Fuel or the one in my list I will not carry the flashlight. (I had the flashlight listed when I had a tiny headlamp listed that was not very powerful.)

I am not saying anything against the steripen, but I am not sold on it. It is a lighter weight option than my filter, so I will probably bounce it around a few more times before my trip.

I love my Columbia pants for hiking in. Even in the high 80's (maybe low 90's) I was completely comfortable in them. And they breathe well. It may just be me, but it works.

Ill look into the Kooka Bay air mats some more too.

rusty075
04-12-2010, 14:54
With an April start the 5° WM might be too much. I did the whole thing with a 35° Montbell, adding/subtracting a silk liner and long underwear to adjust for the weather. But it all depends on how warm a sleeper you are - I was fine even on nights down into the teens. I'd say buy your 30° bag first, and then try it out in your backyard on colder night this spring and fall to see how low you can go with it.

On shoes, I would suggest budgeting to buy them along the way. Your feet will tend to grow during the hike (mine grew a full size), so you may find that the shoes you bought beforehand at home are useless by the time you get to the 3rd or 4th pair. There's enough opportunity along the way to buy them as you go.

If you're already planning on bringing AquaMira drops, I'd skip both the steripen and the filter. The AquaMira is all you need. I know some people love them, but it sure didn't seem like many steripens made it the whole way to Maine.

STICK
04-12-2010, 17:38
Well, I have managed to narrow down my list even more. Here is a link to it in it's entirety. (If it works....)

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6h886ycFM9kOTY4NGU5OWMtZDVlNi00MGRjLWI4Y jAtOTQ5YTVlYzgwODBj&hl=en

I am wanting a "winter" bag anyways, so I may as well go ahead and get what I want huh.....I actually wanted the WM Kodiak MF, but I will be happy with the Antelope and use the overfill. I have cut so much off my pack weight on the new list (IMO) I don't mind carrying a good warm bag to snuggle in.

For shoes, I am probably going to go with trailrunners and buy 2 pair initially. One for back up in case of emergency that will be in a bounce box but I will try new ones once I wear the first ones out. They will be budgeted in.

I may have made it sound confusing. I don't intend on bringing my filter. Right now I am planning on Aqua Mira drops or tabs (not sure yet). I haven't thrown out the idea of the steripen, but it is definitely not up there on my list!

So, have a look at the new list and tell me what you think. (If you can't open it let me know and I will try to repost it somehow.) Thanks for looking.