PDA

View Full Version : Fire near the at in new jersey

fireblaz
04-07-2010, 18:55
http://www.njherald.com/story/news/Fire-in-Frankford
Thought all of you would like to know whats going on.:eek:

Old Grouse
04-07-2010, 19:18
Northern Connecticut is currently under a fire warning. Not Litchfield County, through which the AT runs, but east of there. Plainly the threat currently exists in many places along the Trail.

sasquatch2014
04-08-2010, 07:58
Sorry but don't have my map i left them with two guys who are currently on the AT in NJ. Where on the trail is this happening? What is it near I don't know the names of stuff off the trail very well down in that area.

burger
04-08-2010, 08:50
Folks, fire isn't a bad thing in itself. Before colonization, fires used to be lot more common in eastern woodlands. Fire can be clear out underbrush and fertilize the growth of grasses and wildflowers. Nowadays, a number of places are actually using prescribed fire just for this purpose.

Hopefully this fire won't hurt anyone or destroy any property, but the AT and the forests along it will be fine whatever happens.

STEVEM
04-08-2010, 08:52
Sorry but don't have my map i left them with two guys who are currently on the AT in NJ. Where on the trail is this happening? What is it near I don't know the names of stuff off the trail very well down in that area.

I could see the smoke on the ridge last night on my way home from work. The fire seems to be located on the East side of Kittatinny ridge about a mile or so South of Culver Gap, and appeared to actually be several fires. Today will be very warm and dry, but rain is predicted tonight.

Pedaling Fool
04-08-2010, 09:00
Two fires in the NE http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60831:confused: After all this rain:-?

Pedaling Fool
04-08-2010, 09:01
Two fires in the NE http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60831:confused: After all this rain:-?
Not to mention all that snow

sasquatch2014
04-08-2010, 11:56
I could see the smoke on the ridge last night on my way home from work. The fire seems to be located on the East side of Kittatinny ridge about a mile or so South of Culver Gap, and appeared to actually be several fires. Today will be very warm and dry, but rain is predicted tonight.

Thanks I'll need to give the fellows I was hiking with a call they had stayed at the Brink Rd shelter back on Tuesday night and were going to keep heading north but wanted to stop in Culvers gap for some stuff. Thanks for the location.

It's kind of funny both Tinker and I had mentioned how we thought some of the bareness of the ridgelines might have been due to fires over the years and how it is tough for stuff to get a hold again if the soil is thin or rocky like it is on the ridges. And this was just back on Tuesday after we had left the other two and headed back to the gap wrapping up our hike.

Graywolf
04-08-2010, 12:04
Hmmmm..After all the snow, then rain, then flooding, in the Northeast, there is Fire??? Hmmmm..maybe the snow and rain was flammable??? Well, lets hope it is contained, adnd I agree with the one poster, Fire is natures way of purafying the Earth..Just stay safe out there..

Graywolf

SawnieRobertson
04-08-2010, 12:08
Hmmmm..After all the snow, then rain, then flooding, in the Northeast, there is Fire??? Hmmmm..maybe the snow and rain was flammable??? Well, lets hope it is contained, adnd I agree with the one poster, Fire is natures way of purafying the Earth..Just stay safe out there..

Graywolf

And pestilence, of course.--Kinnickinic:eek:

Buzz_Lightfoot
04-08-2010, 12:52
Update: The AT south of Rt. 206 and Culver's gap was closed as of this morning. They had "do not enter" tape across the trail. Rt. 521 was also still closed. Brink shelter is the next shelter south of 206. AT north of Culver's gap appeared to be still open.

sasquatch2014
04-08-2010, 21:29
Yeah a fire closes the AT in NJ where they don't allow fires on the AT but every campsite and tons of stealth sites all had fire rings. Also reminds me of a few years back when the air national guard down in south jersey shot off some flares and burns a big chunk on the state. Too bad it doesn't burn all the crapy parts of the state.

Buzz_Lightfoot
04-09-2010, 13:15
Update: Trail still closed and should remain so for "several days".

We had a decent amount of rain over night so hopefully the fire is out. The fact the trail is still closed is probably just due to the beuracracy of re-opening it.

http://www.njherald.com/story/news/09FIREFOLLOW