PDA

View Full Version : work on the at

wolf
10-14-2004, 19:22
i have joined the at trail crew this year instead of hiking the trail,this will be my first time on a crew,we will be at scott run farm on oct 22.is there any body who has been on a crew,i am trying to get my gear packed.what am i looking at.this is time for me to give back to the trail that i love to hike,any body going to be there? looking foward to it
trail rat :jump

jlb2012
10-15-2004, 08:09
mostly it depends on what you will be doing but in general take your PPE stuff such as leather gloves and a good first aid kit, plus optionally hardhat, 8 inch leather boots, hearing protectors if you are going to be a swamper for a chainsaw crew; if you are certified for using a chainsaw you already know all that plus chainsaw chaps and face shield are needed. If you are going to be doing a lot of repetive motion stuff (crosscut, handsaw, weedwhip, etc) then use an elbow strap to prevent tendonitis. If going to do some heavy lifting then use a back support belt. If going to do some ax work then shin guards would be a good idea.

Usually the crew itself will supply any specific tools you might need but check them over carefully - nothing is worse than trying to use a dull saw or ax for example or a saw which is badly set with teeth at the wrong levels.

Other advice - know your own limits and don't let your partner push you past them - take the breaks you need and give your partner the breaks he/she needs. Take plenty of water and snacks. Watch out for poison ivy - know what it looks like even when it has dropped its leaves (cinnamon bud, hairy vine) - never saw poison ivy - chop it if needed.

Brushy Sage
10-15-2004, 17:14
I was a member of a trail crew out of Scott's Farm in 2002. The ATC provided all the tools, all the food and water, some snacks, and even a tent (some crew members brought their own tents). Important to take enough clothes, good rain gear that will protect all day, sturdy footwear, personal toiletries and special food items, etc. I imagine they sent you a list of equipment, etc. As I recall, the list was quite realistic and accurate.

Be prepared to help with kitchen chores, from cooking to cleaning up. Also be prepared to have a great experience. Hard work, but very satisfying to see the results and to be part of a productive team making a long-term investment to the AT.