PDA

View Full Version : Three day hike...is it possible...

hiker2010
04-07-2010, 20:56
So does anyone know if it is possible to start a hike off of NC road 1242 at Yellow Creek Gap? I'm thinking about starting there and hiking down to Wesser, NC. Anybody done that? Brown Fork Gap Shelter the first night, Sassafras the second, and hiking into Wesser the last day.

daddytwosticks
04-08-2010, 14:52
I think that would be an easy three day hike...:)

Hikes in Rain
04-08-2010, 15:25
Agree, three days is certainly doable, especially since you'd be coming down Cheoa to Wesser instead of up out of it. Nice views in that area, too.

bigcranky
04-08-2010, 18:38
Call The Hike Inn. They can shuttle you from NOC, and they'll know if the road up to the gap is open.

daddytwosticks
04-09-2010, 07:32
I believe 1242 is a state maintained paved highway in Grahm County...should have no problem getting to trailhead. :)

Ox97GaMe
04-09-2010, 18:38
1242 is a state maintained road and is usually open, unless severe winter weather, which would have a lot of other roads in the area closed as well.

There is parking on the South side of the road, along a gated FS road.

Three days are very manageable to do that stretch. It is approx 25 miles total distance. There will be a couple moderate uphills in that section, but not nearly as bad as if you were doing it northbound.

If you are looking to be shuttled, definitely check Jeff at the Hike Inn. Probably best to stage the car at NOC get shuttled to Yelllow Creek. Then, when you finish your hike, you are ready to grab a shower and head back home.