PDA

View Full Version : SNP Section Hike in May or June

mad4scrapping
04-08-2010, 16:44
I'd like to do the SNP in May or June (preferably May). N-S or S-N, doesn't matter. I'll have 7 to 9 days. I don't mind going alone but with recent events, perhaps I should try to buddy up. I'll be bringing my dog, who is very friendly.
Any interest?

mwink
04-08-2010, 17:54
Hi, I'm new to backpacking and wanted to do a hike of the AT through GSMNP in late May, possibly early June. Thought it'd take 7 to 10 day to complete the whole AT of the park, or could do half the park, start at Newfound Gap and hike to either Davenport or Fontana Dam.
Another hike could be starting at Springer MT and go up to Bly Gap, doing section hikes with the idea of completing the AT. Both hikes are about 70 miles in length.
I'm looking for an enjoyable hike, making some miles but not rushing to complete it.
My wife doesn't like the idea of me doing this hike alone so I'm looking for a partner, plus she's probably right about hiking alone. I'm a 56 year old male in good shape. Let me know if you think this could work for the both of us.
mwink

mad4scrapping
04-08-2010, 19:12
Mwink-- I'm focusing on SNP in Virginia since I live relatively close to the trail. Inasmuch as 1/4 of the AT is in my home state, my plan is to do the Virginia sections first before branching out to other states.

Now, if you want to come up to Virginia . . .

Tatum
04-08-2010, 23:10
If you hike on that mid-may to june time frame you will run into all the Springer NOBO's so there should be a plethora of others on the trail if your worried about safety. I'll be heading NOBO from Troutville on May 12th so maybe we'll run into each other at some point. Good luck on the trail!

mad4scrapping
04-09-2010, 08:37
Thanks, Tatum. I was thinking that too, which was why initially I thought I would do it by myself. I'm looking forward both to having some solitude and meeting thru hikers on the trail. :banana

Saffirre8
04-09-2010, 16:38
Hello Mad-
I live very close to you in MD, we are actually doing all of MD AT on May 7-10 (about 40 miles), if you want to tag along? After i plan on doing MD i plan on doing SNP next in June, but i can only do long weekends as i have small children at home and cant get away for a week at a time :(
I plan on doing it in 35-40 mile sections. You intrested in doing something like that?
If so just let me know. I am new to backpacking so like you i plan on eventually doing other states, but i am trying to complete the ones closer to home 1st.
You can email me at [email protected] if you are intrested in any weekend hikes.
Happy trails