PDA

View Full Version : Mt Rogers

wilconow
10-15-2004, 10:50
I'm going to SW VA /Mt Rogers for a week. Leave Sunday :banana

Are there any trails/overlooks around there that are can't miss. We're probably going to do some car camping at Hurricane and then a backpack around Whitetop & hit grayson too

Thanks.

Blue Jay
10-15-2004, 10:59
I'm going to SW VA /Mt Rogers for a week. Leave Sunday :banana

Are there any trails/overlooks around there that are can't miss. We're probably going to do some car camping at Hurricane and then a backpack around Whitetop & hit grayson too

Thanks.

Actually the opposite is true, they are all can't miss. You cannot go wrong. You are assured of a wonderful time.

Lone Wolf
10-15-2004, 11:00
Of course Wilburn Ridge. The Pine Mtn. Trail is really nice. The Nat. Geograhic/Trails Illustrated map of the Mt. Rogers area shows every trail imagineable. You can get the map at Mt. Rogers Outfitter in Damascus. If you haven't ridden the Creeper Trail it's well worth it.

Hikerhead
10-15-2004, 13:41
Just about all outfitters carry the National Geo maps but none will carry all of them. Stop at any outfitter in Va and you'll more than likely to find one of Mt Rogers. Probably the most convienent one coming from MD would be Outdoor Trails in Dalevile Va. It's a 1/2 mile from the interstate. There's probably others close to 81 in Staunton or Harrisburg but I've never been to them.

And yes, ride the creeper if you get the chance.

The Solemates
10-15-2004, 15:05
hike in from damascus and then set up a base camp around wilburn ridge/thomas knob/grayson highlands somewhere. that way you can hike all the many side and loop trails in the area for the next two days or so. Ive done this twice, and its really the way to go in this awesome area.

Lone Wolf
10-15-2004, 15:08
Yup. I'm headin up there tomorrow. Gonna camp around Rhodo Gap. :)

Flash Hand
10-15-2004, 15:43
If you see some blowdowns or trail washed out, please let the most appropriate trail clubs know about it. Thanks!

Flash Hand :jump

Lone Wolf
10-15-2004, 15:45
The trail is clear from Damascus north to Va. 16 (Mt. Rogers HQ)