PDA

View Full Version : How do you re-supply dog food?

Dirty Nails
04-08-2010, 21:28
When thru hiking with the dog, how do you re-supply dog food? Buying small quantities of food along the way must get mighty costly. Do you buy a large supply at home and have weekly mail drops? My dog can carry enough food for perhaps 5 or 6 days.

What kind of food are you using for a long hike? Is there some type of high energy kibble available? I've seen the so-called "performance" foods in the pet stores by the big companies, but I'm not too impressed. They seem to just have smaller bits so a "cup" by volume has more energy because it has more mass, and of course, more weight. What do you feed on a long hike?

drifters quest
04-11-2010, 15:52
I've been buying the 3.5lb bags of beneful, which is what she normally eats at home. It lasts her about five days, I also pour olive oil on her food and sometimes supplement her with wet food. It's easy to get the small bags, they are costly (about $5) and whenever I get a mail drop I have my mom send me some from home

CrumbSnatcher
04-11-2010, 16:16
I've been buying the 3.5lb bags of beneful, which is what she normally eats at home. It lasts her about five days, I also pour olive oil on her food and sometimes supplement her with wet food. It's easy to get the small bags, they are costly (about $5) and whenever I get a mail drop I have my mom send me some from home
more importantly! how many cheeeburgers has your dog had?:D

drifters quest
04-11-2010, 16:36
Haha, well, none yet, but I did give her pizza today. I do buy her beef jerky as a snack though,she loves the jack link's beef steaks. Some people laugh because im actually a vegetarian

CrumbSnatcher
04-11-2010, 16:47
i alway got the strangest look from others, i ate 99% of my town meals outside with my dog. i would alway order double or triple cheeseburgers, and she would get 1 or 2 of the patties! grandma peanutbutter cookies were great (my dog loved em')kudos to you, for the beef jerkey and softfood! have a great hike!

linn
04-11-2010, 21:49
Grain-free food has a higher ratio of quality calories to volume, so your dog would get more bang for his buck (and carry more days' worth of food). It's expensive, but I think worth it for long hikes. I like Orijen, and I know people who's dogs eat Evo as well. When I took my guys out this winter, they were each able to carry 8 days worth of Orijen, a jacket, bowl, boots, leash, and sleeping pad with no problems. This summer, I'm sure I'll load them up with 10 days of food or more, since they won't need all the winter gear. I'm sorry I've never thru-hiked though, so I can't really give you advice for mail drops, or picking up food along the way. Good luck!

drifters quest
04-12-2010, 08:37
I know some people who are mail dropping all their dogs food, but I can imagine it to be such a pain and add even more expense to their expensive food. She does fine on what I normally feed her and her weight is staying up even with high mileage. I end up carrying all her food anyways (with a few days of exceptions) so it isn't much of a problem for her.

kanga
04-12-2010, 09:18
Haha, well, none yet, but I did give her pizza today. I do buy her beef jerky as a snack though,she loves the jack link's beef steaks. Some people laugh because im actually a vegetarian
pizza probably isn't the best thing to give her. tomatos are acidic and not really good for dogs. when i get off the trail with my girls, they always get a hamburger on the ride home. no ketchup, no mustard, no onions, just plain. they still love them.

kanga
04-12-2010, 09:19
When thru hiking with the dog, how do you re-supply dog food? Buying small quantities of food along the way must get mighty costly. Do you buy a large supply at home and have weekly mail drops? My dog can carry enough food for perhaps 5 or 6 days.

What kind of food are you using for a long hike? Is there some type of high energy kibble available? I've seen the so-called "performance" foods in the pet stores by the big companies, but I'm not too impressed. They seem to just have smaller bits so a "cup" by volume has more energy because it has more mass, and of course, more weight. What do you feed on a long hike?
i had mine maildropped from home. a mix of regular and puppy food (higher nutrient content). maildrops don't always work out the way you want them to and those times i would just buy the small bags at the nearest grocery store.

drifters quest
04-12-2010, 15:28
There was no sauce on it, it was actually breadsticks with cheese :)

kanga
04-12-2010, 18:50
There was no sauce on it, it was actually breadsticks with cheese :)
good stuff! i had to learn the hard way with a sick dog. :(